Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:50 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I lived in Charleston when Hugo hit. I remember all of the people who fled Charleston and headed for Charlotte....

It was a terrible experience. Very scary. Several family members had four + feet of water in their homes. I had just gotten a job at a tv station in Charleston, and Hugo took our broadcast tower. We were off the air for over a month, and at reduced power for several after that.

After I had moved to Charlotte, there was a hurricane coming up the coast (I think it was Floyd) and they predicted it would follow Hugo's path. I must say I freaked out a little.
Weedy, having worked many years as a broadcast tech, & packed a bag to take to work, many tiimes when storms were predicted, I have to ask, were you in the station over-night when Hugo hit?

We got Floyd.....you didn't miss a thing, unless you enjoy flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 959 times
Default What a night

I was 14. Lived in a mobile home in Indian Trail. My mom decided we needed to leave so we went to the National Guard Armory in Monroe at about 2am. I remember watching the wind peel bricks off the sign out front of the armory and break the windows. They had to pull a moving truck in front to shield the windows. I remember driving down the road and road signs looked like kites. A bus came to the armory from Charleston and the door was ripped off by the wind. I helped get every person off that bus. I lost my Oakland A's hat that night. Next morning found it wedged under the fence. I still have that hat today (I dont still wear it).I played football at Piedmont at the time and one of the lasting memories was the sign at Arby's in Monroe days later read Monroe 7 Hugo 6. Applebees in Monroe has some very good pictures of some of the damage. I have since became a Certified Arborist and moved to the Florida panhandle. I now have a strange enjoyment of caines. I have been through Hugo, Ivan, Cindy (low cat 1) and Dennis. I am just waiting for the next one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte