U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:35 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times

Advertisements

It is hurricane season . . . and for those of us who remember Hugo, this time of year propels us into action. We want to make sure we never go thru/ the traumatic experiences we all endured here in the Charlotte area.

Here is one reporter's short version of what he endured, along w/ some TV video . . .

Covering Hurricane Hugo (http://mason.gmu.edu/~rmellen/HurricaneHugo.html - broken link)

Were you here when Hugo hit? What happened at your home?

We were without power for almost exactly 8 days. No grocery stores open . . . no hot water for bathing . . . food rotting in freezers and refrigerators . . . gaping holes in roofs . . . no gas could be pumped . . . Miserable.

What happened to you when Hugo hit???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,901,614 times
Wow. I didn't know Charlotte was hit.
We plan on moving to NC.
We have lived in SE FLorida since 1988, so I battered down for Andrew,
and our lovely 2004-2005 season (Wilma, etc).
BUt I didn't realize Charlotte, so inland, was hit so hard.
Wow.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:39 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Wow. I didn't know Charlotte was hit.
We plan on moving to NC.
We have lived in SE FLorida since 1988, so I battered down for Andrew,
and our lovely 2004-2005 season (Wilma, etc).
BUt I didn't realize Charlotte, so inland, was hit so hard.
Wow.
ohmygosh - were we hit...if I can find the time I'll post the memories - what a night!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:41 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,901,614 times
Wilma was actually worse for us than Andrew.
No power, no water AT ALL, and no phone service.
And my son had Croup. It was awful. I don't want to go through
THAT again. We left and drove to Orlando, filled my son's prescription, and stayed until
our power went back on.
Less than 3 weeks later I was pregnant with our daughter.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,483,875 times
I've only heard stories from those who lived here through it all. I was still living in CA and although we did hears news reports it's nothing like being here in the actual storm. I'm hoping this was a rare storm. I love the rain and even the thunder and lightening storms but can do without the problems accoiciated with a Hugo type storm!!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is hurricane season . . . and for those of us who remember Hugo, this time of year propels us into action. We want to make sure we never go thru/ the traumatic experiences we all endured here in the Charlotte area.

Here is one reporter's short version of what he endured, along w/ some TV video . . .

Covering Hurricane Hugo (http://mason.gmu.edu/~rmellen/HurricaneHugo.html - broken link)

Were you here when Hugo hit? What happened at your home?

We were without power for almost exactly 8 days. No grocery stores open . . . no hot water for bathing . . . food rotting in freezers and refrigerators . . . gaping holes in roofs . . . no gas could be pumped . . . Miserable.

What happened to you when Hugo hit???

Ani, as I am SUPPOSED to be working, I am taking the lazy way out, lol! I remembered discussing this before and went and found the old thread. People might enjoy reading what others wrote previously about their Hugo experiences here:

Hurricane Hugo

Old 07-10-2008, 08:46 AM

677 posts, read 2,016,082 times
I was in Savannah GA for Hugo, so my family and I went to Macon, and it totally missed GA and went into SC/NC... Guess we got lucky, only a few trees down.

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
Thanx, Loves! I knew there was a thread out there in the archives - hopefully others will read it . . . and also we will get some new posts from those who didn't join in earlier.

I also want to remind everyone - No, this was not typical at all. However, it can happen and it could happen again . . . so be prepared for a weather emergency. That means - water, non-perishable food, first aid, batteries, etc. Waiting til the weather channel advises we are gonna have problems is already TOO LATE.

And if you are advised to evacuate, DO IT. Not likely for here in CLT, but . . . it isn't impossible, either.

371 posts, read 987,599 times
I grew up in the foothills of NC and we were hit hard from Hugo also. A tornado went through our neighborhood and no power for 7 days. The funny part is I slept through the actual storm (I was in middle school).

Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 AM

569 posts, read 1,224,284 times
I was only a kid when this happened but I remember it well. We were without power for seven days. I remember waking up in the middle of the night to a tree branch crashing through my window. I also remember thinking "wow that sure is a powerfull thunderstorm."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte