Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 AM

8,886 posts, read 20,268,744 times

Advertisements

Know very little to nothing about the University area.........you have the wrong person on that location! But, have heard that parts of the University area aren't good. Turn on any of the local News stations and you hear, almost on a daily basis about the crime that surrounds certain areas of Charlotte, not that way in Huntersville and north. As said before, and will say again, "diversity" doesn't bother us, but we just chose to live in areas where there is not that much of it.........IS that ok with everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
What areas are you talking about? You implied the University area with that, and that's just not true. If there's a gang shooting on one block once or twice in a year, it doesn't make the entire 5-mile radius around it suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 AM

15 posts, read 78,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Sorry, I (we/wife & I) absolutely see no problem in "generalizing" or "judging" people. That is just the way we are!! There are a lot of people in society that do the same, but they keep it to themselves and don't verbalize it. As for me, I "say it the way I see it"!
Well your experience is very narrow. I can correlate it to a story
A group of blind people wanted to feel what a elephant feels like. One felt the elephant leg and said
"Elephant is like a POLE". Another one touched the tail and said "Elephant is like a ROPE".
Another one touched the body and said "Elephant is like a WALL" etc.......

I really do not have time to respond to these .
Why don't you drop by to my house sometime -- I will make you a good curry with light spices.
May be after that you will get a better understanding of Indian cuisine.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,292,087 times
moderator note:

Lets stick to topic
The OP ask this
Quote:
I was checking out some websites that give demographic info. on Davidson, Cornelius, and Huntersville and noticed that all three (according to this one site) are about 80% white. I was just wondering if this is accurate. If so,where near Charlotte can one find a more diverse town?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:35 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,848,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njreddy View Post
Well your experience is very narrow. I can correlate it to a story
A group of blind people wanted to feel what a elephant feels like. One felt the elephant leg and said
"Elephant is like a POLE". Another one touched the tail and said "Elephant is like a ROPE".
Another one touched the body and said "Elephant is like a WALL" etc.......

I really do not have time to respond to these .
Why don't you drop by to my house sometime -- I will make you a good curry with light spices.
May be after that you will get a better understanding of Indian cuisine.
I am not sure as to what your story is eluting, but I can also vouch that Indian cusine is the "best" as far as I am concerned. I have found that nobody just likes curries, they either love or hate it. But, given a chance, it will totally wipe out any swee't scent that is in your house. Also, if a young couple is dating, I wouldn't suggest going to an Indian restaurant. It just doesn't work out.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:44 PM

I believe that southerners so guilt ridden that they feel that they have been forced to feel guilt for slavery, racism and other horrible things that happened in other places as well. It is really stupid to feel guilty. But anyway, I have friends and relatives that live in and around London which is probably the most diverse city on Earth. They live in areas that are prodominately European with very few blacks or Orientals. They live in upper scale areas that have good schools and safe streets. I certainly don't think that they should be labeled as racist or anything because they choose to live in these neighborhoods. My point is, diversity is fine when you are young and single but as one gets older, one tends to put emphasis and/or priorities on other things more important. Not that older people dislike or don't want diversity, they just don't really care. The lake has about every ethnic restaurant in which I am interested, so I don't care who is, my neighbor just so that they are respectful of my privacy and not trashy (and don't wear idiotic sagging pants).

Old 07-17-2008, 02:00 PM

630 posts, read 1,870,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
with very few blacks or Orientals.
Just as an FYI (not trying at all to be mean) but they prefer the term Asians. Most of the older generation still call them Orientals.

And please don't guess at the country unless you really have a good idea. My grandfather asked my wife if she spoke Korean... and she's not Korean. She has a good sense of humor though.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:04 PM

If you please, I have discussed this Asian/Oriental thing with several of my Oriental and Asian friends. First, my Oriental friends which are Korean, Philipines and Japanese agree that they are in fact, Orientals they have the unique eye features which others do not have. They concensually (both groups) agree that the term Asian puts Orientals in a group with Arabs, Indians, and Russians that reside east of the Urals. So, I am at in a precarious situation here. I might consider refering to my friends from Korea (had a Korean girlfriend for a couple of years for whatever that is worth) as Asian, but it is going to take some getting used to. It would be much easier if we could go back to the old way. By the way, the only Chinese restaurant in Charlotte when I was very young was the Oriental Restaurant, not the "Asian" Restaurant. And, the Chinese named it, not me. Now lets be honest, I make sense, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte