U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:40 PM

286 posts, read 862,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
My "dream home" would be one of their models with the second story balcony in the master bedroom. That's what I want, but I would like for it to overlook one of their park areas, or overlook "something". I saw some out there with the second story balconys and they overlooked "the street" and "houses" in front of them. Wouldn't want that. I'm like you, as much as I simply love that community, location is key. To answer your question, I live in Charlotte now and currently own a home. So I'm trying to take my time and make sure my second home is "perfect". So regarding Monteith, as much as I love the community and the home styles, I probably wouldn't be interested in moving there unless the location is just right. If I couldn't get near one of the parks, my next choice would definitely be a corner lot. Also, because the community has a "town center" design, some of the parking situations looked a bit "sketchy", so a corner would be good. Hell, a corner lot that overlooked a park, now that would be perfect!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you looked into another Saussy community? I like Mcadenville as well, a lttle more laid back maybe less remote, and only about 180 homes all together.I looked at stonebridge, didnt like that one.
I also have to sell first. I am actually painting now, am getting tired so i thought of i came on here i might get revived.
What part of Charlotte are you in now?
I also like those porches, can you actually sit on them in the summertime there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 02:14 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray42 View Post
Have you looked into another Saussy community? I like Mcadenville as well, a lttle more laid back maybe less remote, and only about 180 homes all together.I looked at stonebridge, didnt like that one.
I also have to sell first. I am actually painting now, am getting tired so i thought of i came on here i might get revived.
What part of Charlotte are you in now?
I also like those porches, can you actually sit on them in the summertime there?
I looked at their Davidson Pointe development up in Davidson. It was beautiful. Its right on Lake Davidson and has great views (even if you're not actually on a waterfront lot). I loved it, but 1) its probably just a little further out than I'd care to be and 2) being on the lake it was just a little pricier than Monteith. But they had more standard features than Monteith, so there is a little trade off. As for sitting on the porches, I also wondered about that. I wondered if there wasn't some type of associaton ordinance that prohibited actually sitting on them. But I talked to the lady at Davidson Pointe said you can actually sit on them, even the ones on the second level. Naturally, as I mentioned before, me and the lady at Monteith unfortunatley didn't talk about much, but I would imagine its the same way. I live in University City now, so Monteith would be good because I can still get to friends and stores, etc. that I'm used to visiting in that area.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I looked at their Davidson Pointe development up in Davidson. It was beautiful. Its right on Lake Davidson and has great views (even if you're not actually on a waterfront lot). I loved it, but 1) its probably just a little further out than I'd care to be and 2) being on the lake it was just a little pricier than Monteith. But they had more standard features than Monteith, so there is a little trade off. As for sitting on the porches, I also wondered about that. I wondered if there wasn't some type of associaton ordinance that prohibited actually sitting on them. But I talked to the lady at Davidson Pointe said you can actually sit on them, even the ones on the second level. Naturally, as I mentioned before, me and the lady at Monteith unfortunatley didn't talk about much, but I would imagine its the same way. I live in University City now, so Monteith would be good because I can still get to friends and stores, etc. that I'm used to visiting in that area.
Well Blue let me know when you are ready and we will go in together, and let the Monteith lady we are here , and were here to do business

Old 01-20-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Well Blue let me know when you are ready and we will go in together, and let the Monteith lady we are here , and were here to do business
I'm going to check back with them in early March. By that time I'll know more about where my situation stands, and hopefully they'll know more about the timetable for the next phase. So do you live in Charlotte now, if so what area? If not, where are you moving from?

Old 01-21-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
I'm going to check back with them in early March. By that time I'll know more about where my situation stands, and hopefully they'll know more about the timetable for the next phase. So do you live in Charlotte now, if so what area? If not, where are you moving from?
I also will check back in march,that is when my house will be on the market. We will talk to them and compare stories .I do not know if they work off of a contginency(spelling) Gilead is willing to sign a paper for 2 months to hold a lot as long as your house is listed, after two months if house isnt sold, you have to go on or give up the lot. Do you know if that is an option in Monteith? I was afaraid to ask the witch -lol.
I live in upstate ny-Syracuse area, it is to cold here, and way to much snow, that is my reason for moving.
Do you know how long it takes from start to finish for closing on a house in nc? Here in NY it takes two months for everything to be finalized.
Are you origanally from Charlotte? Do you like the area?Thank you again for all of this info it really helps. Have a great day

Old 01-21-2007, 11:51 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,105,544 times
For clsoing on a homew that is already built you can get in done in 30 days. If you are building it can be upwards to 60 days.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I also will check back in march,that is when my house will be on the market. We will talk to them and compare stories .I do not know if they work off of a contginency(spelling) Gilead is willing to sign a paper for 2 months to hold a lot as long as your house is listed, after two months if house isnt sold, you have to go on or give up the lot. Do you know if that is an option in Monteith? I was afaraid to ask the witch -lol.
I live in upstate ny-Syracuse area, it is to cold here, and way to much snow, that is my reason for moving.
Do you know how long it takes from start to finish for closing on a house in nc? Here in NY it takes two months for everything to be finalized.
Are you origanally from Charlotte? Do you like the area?Thank you again for all of this info it really helps. Have a great day
I'm certain they would do a contingency contract. Most places here do. And since their other coummnity has told you they would, I would say its a safe bet Monteith would too. But as I said before, I unfortunatley didn't get to discuss much with them. I pretty much asked when they thought the next phase would be available and the conversation pretty much died.

I purchased my current home about 10 years ago, so I'm just getting up to speed on things regarding the current market. However, I think the average build out time here is closer to three months.

I grew up in this area (not Charlotte though), moved away for quite a time and couldn't wait to get back. I lived in Atlanta and Dallas, TX before coming back. While I was away I would read about all the exciting developments going on and how the city was growing and changing so much; I couldn't wait to move back. Since I've been back, I have not regrets. I love it.

There is a front page story today in the Charlotte Observer newspaper about all the people from Upstate NY moving here. It apppears you'll be in good company when you arrive. You should check it out on Charlotte.com

Old 01-21-2007, 03:52 PM

166 posts, read 571,054 times
Default Our Monteith Sales Office Experience

Don't feel bad about being treated rudely by the staff at the sales office. The first day we went into the office they treated us the same way. I'm not quite sure if they thought we were just another couple from up north wasting their time, but it was quite the opposite. We had been to at least 5 other Saussy Burbank developments in NC and SC and really fell in love with the style of the homes. The sales staff at all of the other sites were friendly and helpful. The areas the homes were in, were just not where we felt confortable. When we found Huntersville we knew this was the town we wanted to be in. We also looked at Gilead Village but the high tension wires and the main road through the center of the development made us think that it might be a problem for resale.

(The sales office experience) We found the sales staff at Monteith not only rude but uncoopertive. When we asked about the homes, new sections, it was like we were bothering them. And let me tell you we also had checkbook in hand ready to buy. We stopped in the office at least 3 times in an attempt to get some information and spoke to both the women and the man. Don't be fooled by thinking the man is the nice one, they are two peas in a nasty pod. He was ruder to us then she was. Also please do yourself a favor, don't stop in there between 12 and 2p.m. It's lunch time and let me tell you they are annoyed when you do. The main problem with Monteith is that they are selling so well that they could care less if you want to buy. After the third time my wife said "let's just forget it, I don't want to buy here". So we packed up the next day and headed up north after our 5 days there.

(Next trip down) This is the part you will like. I finally convinced my wife that we will not be asking them to dinner, and when we close on the house we will not have to deal with them again. So back we went. See above for the same treatment again. I guess we forgot about lunch!! So off we went looking to find something else in the hope that we would find something we would like. I must say we did meet many nice sales people at the other sites, but Monteith was in our hearts. So back we went making sure we did not arrive during lunch.

(Trying to get them to take our money) Bet you would never have thought you would be reading that!! After giving us some half hearted information on the model we wanted, we left and said we would be back tomorrow to leave our deposit once we decided on our location. Upon our arrival at the sales office the next day, you already know what I'm going to say. See above for treatment. They acted like they didn't even recognize us. So my wife says ok we want to leave a deposit on lot etc. The male salesman tells us he is too busy with appointments that day and couldn't take our check. Remember now, we just wanted to leave a check not write a contract. One sheet of paper we found out later in the process. So the female sales person, acting like we just asked for her first born, goes into the back office and attempts to find a form. Ten or so minutes later she comes back with the form and we fill it out. We then left and parked in front of our lot wondering what we were getting ourselves into. About a month later, we went to contract and I must say nothing really ever got on the friendly side with any of the sales staff. They do get back to us when we call and answer our questions but they will never win awards for hospitality. I must also say that the two sales assistants were much more pleasant than the two sales people. I hope for Saussy Burbank's sake, that when the market changes and they need to sell homes rather than take orders, they reconsider who they hire for their sales teams.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting2go View Post
Don't feel bad about being treated rudely by the staff at the sales office. The first day we went into the office they treated us the same way...
Oh my god!!!! Thanks for sharing that. I didn't want to go into specifics about my experience, but what the hell, since we're all sharing. As for the worst parts of my visits...

First, as I mentioned earlier, when I made it clear that I wouldn't be ready to purchase until this summer, the cold shoulder came out in full effect. They seemed half interested in me to begin with, but after I said that, I might as well had been invisiable.

Second, there's nothing I hate worse than visiting a community and the sales staff don't walk with you through their models. I've been looking at several places the past two months. The only time the sales staff never offered to walk with me through their models was when they were busy with other people. And certainly that was understandable. At Monteith, I said I wanted to look at some models and they basically said, "Go ahead and look around yourself." Of course I had questions during my walkthroughs. And natually I didn't remember all the questions I had when I got back to their office.

Lastly, the worst part. I guess I wasn't dressed appropriately to their standards or something, because after discussing the price of their homes early in the conversation, at some point it was brought up again. And it came over as a need to "clarify" to me the price of their homes. I forget the exact words that were said, but it was something to the effect of, "Now, you do realize these models start at blah blah blah." I'll tell you, the way the statement was made, I was completely insulted. I mean, as if I'm going to be there looking at homes and I don't know how much they cost? And I made it clear to them that this would be my "second" time buying a home, so I'm obviously informed on the process, how to qualify for a mortgage and how much home I can afford, etc. Then as I also mentioned ealier, they didn't even ask me to complete any type of information form, so they obviously never took me seriously as a buyer.

Monteith is still number one on my list, but I've got backups and I'm still looking at other builders (went out this weekend). I'm not going to let some crappy salespeople deter me from trying to live where I want. But after the first two visits, it is clear to me that I shouldn't put all my eggs in "their" basket.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:04 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,105,544 times
Go in there with a Realtor there attitudes will do a 180.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte