Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:50 AM

21 posts, read 46,414 times

Advertisements

Topic is a little misleading for me personally but you get the picture....

I'm late 20's, have a computer science background, voted for Ron Paul, don't believe government should interfere in anyone's lives as long as they aren't hurting others (ie: libertarian). Sometimes my hair is blue, probably sleeping with your 18 year old daughter, etc.

Is Charlotte a fun place to live or what? If I walk around my apartment complex drinking a beer on friday night, is a redneck SWAT team gonna show up and thinking they're protecting the country from terrorists?

Will everyone I meet be some mindless football watching southern fraternity member? I grew up in GA and live in Atlanta but when I used to go to college at USC, thats basically all I met there, otherwise Columbia, SC was a great town. Yea, you met the occasional dope smoking grateful dead guy from a rich family puttering his way through college then waiting to inherit his family business but I don't really consider that to be very different from the mindless football watching fraternity guy.

I think the world is already overpopulated and there should be a 1-2 child per woman law like China for everyone so I'm not out here trying to get married and raise a big family and go to soccer in minivans or anything.

Should I even consider Charlotte? I was also considering Denver. I hear good and bad things about Seattle. Atlanta seemed a lot nicer in the 80's and 90's than it is now, otherwise I might consider staying here. I walked through Buckhead (good part of Atlanta) the other day and there was non-english speaking illegal immigrants all over the place and it looked really run down compared to how it used to be, smog was pretty crazy as well. Just feels strange going to an expensive part of Atlanta and feeling like I'm walking through some smoggy, post apocalyptic movie setting with big groups of non-english speaking people in wifebeaters crawling all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 06:53 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
I love a good, entertaining post every now and then.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:56 AM

195 posts, read 538,585 times
It takes all kinds to make up a city.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:01 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I love a good, entertaining post every now and then.
You must have understood more of it than I did.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Are you polite? As in . . . do you start every conversation with, "HI!!! I am Raptor! I am a godless Bush-hating liberal!!!" or do you tend to walk around w/ 2 beers and say "Hi! I am Raptor! I am new in town. Want a beer?"

Cause unless you have "Godless Bush Hater" tattooed on your forehead . . . how would anyone know???

As for your blue hair . . . blue is a very nice color . . . and basically . . . NO ONE CARES, unless your future employer might feel that doesn't fit the dress code . . .

If you are saying - will I meet other like-minded people who will enjoy hanging w/ me . . . then I would suppose that depends on your social skills . . . as I have found that eventually, if you run into enuff people ANYWHERE . . . you will find others who enjoy doing the things you do, whether it is skiing or attending "Amnesty for Illegals" rallies.

Charlotte is more family oriented than singles oriented, but seeing as how there are plenty of singles here who have managed to find a life in CLT . . . I believe you can settle into whatever lifestyle you want . . . be it avant-garde or Bubba.

Seems to me the big question is . . . getting a job. If you can find one here . . . I would think you would be fine. It's gonna be what you make it . . .

Old 07-11-2008, 07:04 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
You must have understood more of it than I did.
They only part I really got was that he was also considering Denver. So Charlotte....keep your fingers crossed.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:07 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
They only part I really got was that he was also considering Denver. So Charlotte....keep your fingers crossed.
So, the question is living in Denver versus Charlotte?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:09 AM

509 posts, read 1,803,120 times
I'd hardly call you "liberal" with your stance toward illegal immigrants and women.

To answer your question, no, I doubt you'd like Charlotte.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:09 AM

115 posts, read 562,777 times
I was thinking the same thing! For the sake of all of Charlotte, please choose Denver...maybe even Asheville. LOL

Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times
I could care less that his hair is blue either- heck, I know plenty of elderly folks that sport that look quite nicely!

No worries about ever seeing some "redneck SWAT team", unless you're sleeping with my 18 year old daughter, in which case they are probably there to pull me off your sorry self.

I do believe that Charlotte has an open container law, but as long as you keep your beverage in one of those spiffy little brown bags, and hang out in the Freedom Drive area you should be good to go.

Truthfully, I'd save your money and look to Seattle- much less post apocolyptic and far fewer of those pesky conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte