U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,746,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm still waiting for her to come back and identify which religion But you are right, most church youth groups follow the school calendar and take the summer off, except for mission trips or retreats.
Gotcha... but other than church youth groups, what else do teenagers do this time of year in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Gotcha... but other than church youth groups, what else do teenagers do this time of year in that area?
Well, mine just got back from his second trip to the beach

Many travel, many work, many just hang out at the neighborhood pools. I would say that until school starts back up it may be hard for these kids to find their peers - but getting out in their neighborhood is a great place to start trying to meet some new people.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:46 AM

Gosh, I missed out. I was working every summer at my church camp/daycare since I was 14.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 AM

Since I know you don't even live in Charlotte any more I would question when was the last time you spent ANY time in Plaza Midwood? You are painting a picture of it from 15 years ago - not today! There are no crackhouses in Plaza Midwood. And if pedestrians walking in an urban neighborhood bother you so much then spend your life in the suburbs. For the people who live in Plaza Midwood - and I know several - they LOVE their neighborhood and the variety of folks and venues to be found there.

The OP of this thread has already purchased a home in PM and seems very happy with that decision - we all get that it would not have been YOUR decision, enough said - your opinions of the neighborhood are not what the thread is about. If you can offer the OP any real information about her kids finding friends then please do so, otherwise I think we all know where you stand by now.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-15-2008 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: quote in reference has been deleted

Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think we have all been very patient and tried to ignore your rude disparaging posts, but this is just ridiculous!

Since I know you don't even live in Charlotte any more I would question when was the last time you spent ANY time in Plaza Midwood? You are painting a picture of it from 15 years ago - not today! There are no crackhouses in Plaza Midwood. And if pedestrians walking in an urban neighborhood bother you so much then spend your life in the suburbs. For the people who live in Plaza Midwood - and I know several - they LOVE their neighborhood and the variety of folks and venues to be found there.

The OP of this thread has already purchased a home in PM and seems very happy with that decision - we all get that it would not have been YOUR decision, enough said - your opinions of the neighborhood are not what the thread is about. If you can offer the OP any real information about her kids finding friends then please do so, otherwise I think we all know where you stand by now.
Right on!

Let's try to help the OP with her situation. She didn't need us to trash the area that she just moved to and is so excited about. That was uncalled for.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 AM

40 posts, read 98,555 times
Default Wow!

Ok, it seems there are a lot of misconceptions about the area where I live. Almost every house in my area has been renovated or torn down and replaced. If there are a lot of low income families in the area I don't know how they are paying the mortgage (maybe they found a better deal than I did) lol. I bought in the area specifically because it is on the upswing, close to uptown, and zoned for Myers Park high (it's been zoned MP for years, and years). For me, it's a great area as I'm a young, single attorney with kids who are moving out in three years. I suspect that there are teens in the area and that once my children are in school they will find each other... I was just trying to speed up the process. I love the idea of joining the charlottemoms group....so thank you to the person who mentioned it. Does anyone know if the Dilworth Y has a lot of teens hanging out? Thanks again for the advice!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
moderator note:

Stick with the OP PLEASE
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 07-15-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweet4law View Post
Ok, it seems there are a lot of misconceptions about the area where I live. Almost every house in my area has been renovated or torn down and replaced. If there are a lot of low income families in the area I don't know how they are paying the mortgage (maybe they found a better deal than I did) lol. I bought in the area specifically because it is on the upswing, close to uptown, and zoned for Myers Park high (it's been zoned MP for years, and years). For me, it's a great area as I'm a young, single attorney with kids who are moving out in three years. I suspect that there are teens in the area and that once my children are in school they will find each other... I was just trying to speed up the process. I love the idea of joining the charlottemoms group....so thank you to the person who mentioned it. Does anyone know if the Dilworth Y has a lot of teens hanging out? Thanks again for the advice!

Wish I could help with more specific suggestions for your kids to meet other kids right now. The Dowd YMCA is mostly used by people working in the uptown area before and after work. I am not aware of too many teens there. The bigger Y's (Harris - near South Park) and Siskey (Matthews) seem to draw the kids - but go check it out just in case. South Park is not a terrible drive from Plaza Midwood - so you may want to call them and check out their summer schedule too. Not sure which religion you are interested in, but we have many churches in Charlotte with very active youth groups. You might want to check out Myers Park Methodist for starters right now.

Do your kids play any sports or musical instruments?

Old 07-15-2008, 10:17 AM

40 posts, read 98,555 times
Default Church groups?

A couple of people have asked what denomination for church recommendations, so I wanted to respond. I love the idea of finding a church in the area with an active youth group. I grew up Methodist and Baptist but usually attend services a a nondenominational church.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:50 PM

210 posts, read 540,472 times
If they play sports, there are nice tennis & basketball courts at Veteran's Park. Sorry can't be more helpful -- don't know as many kids in that age range, many younger ones but fewer teens. Otherwise, I'm stretching here, PM library (okay, maybe just the bookish teens)? Lunchbox Records? Drinking coffee at NOVA? Common Market (always people hanging out there)? DQ on a hot night? Take the bus uptown for Live At 5 on Thursdays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte