U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:17 AM

40 posts, read 98,708 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.... first a huge thank you to all of you who offered advice and helped me while I was searching for a new home. My teens and I settled on a great house over in Plaza midwood. We are on the south ? side of central not too far from Thomas St. and in general we love the area. However, my teens are a little disappointed that they haven't seen other kids their age (14 and 15) out and about. They will go to Myers Park high school in the fall and that will certainly help but I was wondering if anyone knew of teen groups, church youth groups, etc... in the area where they might meet some teens their age that live in our area. Thanks in advance. You guys are the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 06:53 PM

26 posts, read 77,114 times
check out charlottemommies.com and join the central area group. that area group covers PM and those mommies may have some thoughts for you. there is also an age group forums (teens) that you can check out for activities. hope this helps!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:23 PM

549 posts, read 1,565,405 times
I'm not sure that you're going to find many teenage children that you'd want your kids hanging around with living in the Plaza. To put it bluntly, the neighborhood is full of low income people and 20 to 30-something yuppies who are gentrifying the area. People with teenage kids generally don't fit that demographic.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 PM

2,840 posts, read 4,159,780 times
Default Welcome 2Sweet!

My son goes to Myers Park High and does have friends in your area! I think part of the problem with high school kids is they are not out playing in the yard, walking with Mom/Dad, etc. Are your kids interested in any of the after school activities - sports, marching band, etc.? I would recommend that they go over to Myers Park this week and check with the band teacher, coaches, etc. My son has had athletic practice at the school and I know band camp starts in just few weeks!

Also, there are many beautiful homes in your area - I am sure you will love it!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:39 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,551,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
My son goes to Myers Park High and does have friends in your area! I think part of the problem with high school kids is they are not out playing in the yard, walking with Mom/Dad, etc. Are your kids interested in any of the after school activities - sports, marching band, etc.? I would recommend that they go over to Myers Park this week and check with the band teacher, coaches, etc. My son has had athletic practice at the school and I know band camp starts in just few weeks!

Also, there are many beautiful homes in your area - I am sure you will love it!
The problem is, kids in Plaza Midwood aren't assigned to Myers Park High School - they are assigned to Garinger. So, you can't just tell this poster to send their kids on over there for a visit. However, some in PM do attend Myers Park by getting accepted into the IB program - let's hope that is the case with our posters kids. There are definitely teens in the area - just not quite as many as you'd find out in the suburbs for sure.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
I'm not sure that you're going to find many teenage children that you'd want your kids hanging around with living in the Plaza. To put it bluntly, the neighborhood is full of low income people and 20 to 30-something yuppies who are gentrifying the area. People with teenage kids generally don't fit that demographic.
Actually, Plaza Midwood is not full of low income people - have you been thru there in the last couple of years??? It is almost completely gentrified and most homes currently sell well over half a million dollars. There are only a handful to be had in the under $250,000 range anymore. Now, the nearby Belmont community and NoDa are still full of low income people and have a ways to go before they are even close to what Plaza Midwood is - but PM is not in any way "low income" any more.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:55 PM

2,840 posts, read 4,159,780 times
Talking better check your map!

Beggin yer pardon Loves but you better check your map - 2Sweet said she/he is south of Central Avenue near Thomas - this is in the Myers Park High school zone. I assumed the poster knew where her kids were going as she said so in her original post.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Beggin yer pardon Loves but you better check your map - 2Sweet said she/he is south of Central Avenue near Thomas - this is in the Myers Park High school zone. I assumed the poster knew where her kids were going as she said so in her original post.
I'd glad for the OP's sake to be wrong Used to be that whole side went to Garinger. Do you know when it changed? I do know the side of Elizabeth that actually got cut off from the rest of the neighborhood when Indpendence Blvd went thru - which LOOKS like it belongs to Plaza Midwood, does get Myers Park as it's assignment. But would love to know when Thomas St and that side of Central got it too. If I lived in the back of PM and was still stuck with Garinger I'd be a bit upset!

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:00 AM

49 posts, read 159,764 times
There are plenty of teens that live in that area. When school starts they'll start seeing them in loads!
It is insulting that posters are encouraging seperation from the teens that belong to low-income families. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I understand the relationship with low-income to crime BUT if YOU raise your teens the right way they should know who to hang around and not base friendship on income but character.
With that being said, I hope your kids find some other kids to hangout with!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteacher View Post
There are plenty of teens that live in that area. When school starts they'll start seeing them in loads!
It is insulting that posters are encouraging seperation from the teens that belong to low-income families. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I understand the relationship with low-income to crime BUT if YOU raise your teens the right way they should know who to hang around and not base friendship on income but character.
With that being said, I hope your kids find some other kids to hangout with!
Please do not misunderstand, I for one an not encouraging this parent to keep their kids from making friends whose families may be of low income status!

I have only spoken to the differences in the two high schools serving the area - one desirable, one very undesirable - because of academics and test scores - not because of the student body! In fact, the student body of Myers Park is fairly diverse and has many low income kids in it right along with kids from the highest income brackets. It is just a much better school on all levels to send your child to, especially with it's successful International Baccalaurete program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte