Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:06 AM

115 posts, read 562,656 times

Advertisements

Went to Alive after Five & Epicentre @ 5 last night for the fist time since moving from Chicago...gotta say, it was pretty cool! For a city that it pretty much dead Sunday - Wednesday, this was a very pleasant surprise. Wachovia's gathering was weak and the band was a horrible Van Halen tribute band with a 102 year old version of David Lee Roth singing...2 beers and out. However, the party and I stress "party" at Epicentre was phenominal. The place was packed, the band was awesome and people were there to impress. My fiance and friend from Chicago checked out Suite Lounge and it remined me of the "lounges" in Chicago. Will definitely be back again soon.

Anyone else have any other stories. Haven't checked out Howl at the Moon here yet, but there's one in Chicago which I've been to several times for work functions. What's the story with Whisky River? Good times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 07:30 AM

46 posts, read 136,657 times
I went to an Alive After Five last month when there was a Led Zep tribute band playing. It was such a great Charlotte experience – it was free to get in, there were nice young, “normal” looking people, etc. In DC we don’t have anything like Alive After Five (not Charlotte style anyway) and it really helped sell me on the area.

I don’t have any comments on the other places you mentioned; however, I am eager to see if anybody else does.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:41 AM

677 posts, read 2,237,084 times
I had to work late and missed last night. Normally I start off at alive after five (I've been going for years now, its the norm) Then I head out to the epicenter and usually to suite on the weekends.

I must say though that Alive after Five is losing a lot of patrons to the epicenter's event. I'll probably switch next week and check out what all the buzz is.

The question is though... Can I get into Suite with a pair of shorts on Thursday?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:45 AM

228 posts, read 910,506 times
The other one USED to bepacked. I think a lot of people switched to the Epicentre one because of better location and some perks(free entry to Whiskey River w/ the wristband). I've also heard the crowd thins out bu July because of the heat.

As for Howl at the moon. I've been there twice so far. It's a good place for a special occasion. It can be a good time but I personally have a hard time paying 10 dollars to get my song request played. The entertainers are good, play the usual "dualing piano bar" songs. I do have to note that I found the drinks over priced and poorly made BUT I may have just had bad luck, as i've only gone twice.

Whiskey River is generally a good time. I have enjoyed it more since they opened up a small outdoor area so escape to -im partial to drinking outdoors. :-) The music is country but as the night progresses it turns to typical bar dancing music with country mixed in. They have a bull to ride if that's your thing. They also have VIP tables as well but the ones on the right side of the bar are unimpressive and not worth the money. I have only gone on Thursday/ Fridays/ Saturdays so I can't comment on what it's like other days.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:20 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm051 View Post
Whiskey River is generally a good time. I have enjoyed it more since they opened up a small outdoor area so escape to -im partial to drinking outdoors. :-) The music is country but as the night progresses it turns to typical bar dancing music with country mixed in. They have a bull to ride if that's your thing. They also have VIP tables as well but the ones on the right side of the bar are unimpressive and not worth the money. I have only gone on Thursday/ Fridays/ Saturdays so I can't comment on what it's like other days.
I have to disagree on the music at Whisky River. I was there a couple of Saturdays ago and the music was 99% Rock and Roll (at least until 11pm when I left).

Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 AM

228 posts, read 910,506 times
I've been there over a dozen times since it opened. From 9-11 it's always been primarily country. It's the only reason I can get my roomate to go. When the night gets later they usually play the Bon Jovi, Journey, etc. I have never been there when they are playing mostly rock and roll until 11. Maybe it was an off night?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:45 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
Yes, to the question about Suite letting you in with shorts on. Just for Epicentre on Thursdays though. Flip flops even!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 AM

85 posts, read 193,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm051 View Post
The other one USED to bepacked. I think a lot of people switched to the Epicentre one because of better location and some perks(free entry to Whiskey River w/ the wristband). I've also heard the crowd thins out bu July because of the heat.

As for Howl at the moon. I've been there twice so far. It's a good place for a special occasion. It can be a good time but I personally have a hard time paying 10 dollars to get my song request played. The entertainers are good, play the usual "dualing piano bar" songs. I do have to note that I found the drinks over priced and poorly made BUT I may have just had bad luck, as i've only gone twice.

thats weird. the two times i was there i dont think i heard one country song.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan55 View Post
thats weird. the two times i was there i dont think i heard one country song.
I am with you on that one. I was there for two hours on a saturday and didnt hear any country music. I even commented to my wife that the rock music wasn't like anything you hear at any of the other bars. Had some folks dressed a little country on the bull, but didn't hear any country being played.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times
I also didn't hear any country music when I went. They had a punk rock cover band and then a DJ the rest of the night. If they started playing country music I would of left! I like Alive after Five, I think it's a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: