U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:41 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times

Advertisements

Thanks Carolina guy, scary that we are getting some real nut cases. Before these people move to the Charlotte area do these people think they are moving to a city like Paris or London? Geeez, it is scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 PM

85 posts, read 173,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Charlotte is not a racist city by any stretch of the imagination. However, it is not culturally or racially diverse. I have never been asked about my faith in Charlotte. I never perceived it as a bible thumping place. Painfully boring, but that is about the only knock on it.
that is such a stupid comment. what is it that you would like to do that you cant do here? people who say it is boring are the ones who dont look for anything to do.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:14 PM

109 posts, read 365,519 times
Okay, Okay people...lets keep it civil. I really appreciate the intellegent and thoughtful comments that we have recieved. We are very unexciting, family oriented people, so from what I've read Charlotte seems like it could be a good place. Does anyone have anythoughts on the Mecklenburg county area? Great Schools.net gave them a high score for quality of education.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:25 PM

i apologize. i just get a little defensive when people badmouth charlotte. as far as a good place to live. charlotte has some of the best schools in america(and some terrible ones). it is a great place to live and i would recommend moving here.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:31 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanokers View Post
Okay, Okay people...lets keep it civil. I really appreciate the intellegent and thoughtful comments that we have recieved. We are very unexciting, family oriented people, so from what I've read Charlotte seems like it could be a good place. Does anyone have anythoughts on the Mecklenburg county area? Great Schools.net gave them a high score for quality of education.
Mecklenburg county and Charlotte schools are one in the same - there is one big school system. There are some struggling schools in the system, primarily closer to the inner core of the city, and some very good schools scattered all around.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:32 PM

16 posts, read 51,468 times
Charlotte is a pretty nice place. There are a lot of different people all over the place. Good places, bad places, in between places etc. But if you think Charlotte is boring, try living in a much smaller area. Ha, I've lived in a town with a total population of 500. Now THAT was boring, although it was beautiful there.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 PM

109 posts, read 365,519 times
Thanks for the information. It seems like Charlotte is pretty standard as far as the distribution of wealth and good schools. Usually the professionals work in the city and live in the 'burbs. We were looking at places in the pineville area (i think that is the right name). Endhaven and Hawkridge Elementary were two of the schools that were in that area. Basically, we are looking for a middle to upper middle class area that has good schools, and is open to people with diverse backgrounds. Here in Roanoke we love our neighborhood, it fits our parameters, and is very diverse. Unfortunately, it is one of the few neighborhoods here that is like that.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan55 View Post
that is such a stupid comment. what is it that you would like to do that you cant do here? people who say it is boring are the ones who dont look for anything to do.
See. The proof is right here. In Charlotte, you have to look for things to do. If you compare Charlotte to other southern cities of roughly the same size (Orlando, New Orleans, Nashville, San Antonio, Memphis), there is no way that you can argue that there is as much to see or do. It is not bad mouthing the place. I even said that is really the only knock on the place. It has great roads, low crime, extremely clean, good economy, and a number of other amenities. Charlotte is a conservative city based on banking. That right there is a recipe for boredom.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:45 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Charlotte is not a city based on banking. Charlotte is a pre-Revolutionary city and we were here a long time b/f banks merged, grew and ended up in Charlotte.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that Charlotte's uptown vibe during the day is greatly influenced by the banking industry, but that is about as far as you can take that statement.

Charlotte didn't suddenly come into existence b/c of BofA and Wachovia.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:10 AM

first off, its not really a conserative place. its pretty moderate i believe in the last election charlotte went to kerry. i didnt say you have to look hard for something to do. uptown, noda, southend, plaza-midwood, elizabeth, south park, etc. if you cant find something to do your not looking hard. again i would ask, and im not trying to be a jerk, what is it that you would like to do that you cant do in charlotte. weve got great clubs, bars, restaurants, and underrated music scene. outside of new orleans, i would take charlottes entertainment value of any of the other cities you listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or