U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:45 AM

913 posts, read 2,306,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Sunny - I believe you've asked a very important question which hasn't been properly answered anywhere. I'm in the same boat as you. I have HDTVs in my family room and master bedroom and a HD cable box from TW on each of them. I have 2 older TV's in the other bedrooms that just have the cable wire going into their 75 ohm inputs. Those commercials on TV say that "if you have digital cable, you'll be fine". Well, I have digital cable, but I wonder if those 2 TVs in the bedrooms will work after Feb 2009. If I have to shell out money for cable boxes from Time Warner to keep them operating, I wont "be fine"! Also, those converter boxes are supposed to be for people that only have antenna reception. I wonder if they could be used as "digital tuners" on a cable system in place of those rental cable boxes from Time Warner . I would get those coupons for those boxes if I knew whether they might be useful for something, but i still haven't heard any good answers.

Sunny - As usual, someone is making some money off of this. The federal government has sold all of those channels from 2 to 69 (the old VHF and UHF channels) to the phone companies and other communication companies for billions of dollars. There was also a plan for cable and dish customers to buy their "cable boxes" either from their cable provider or a store like Best Buy, Walmart, or Circuit City and use the little "cable card slot" on the front of the box. This might save customers millions, since they would own their boxes and not be renting them, while paying only (about $1.75 a month) for the credit-card sized "cable card". I think this is in limbo too! Anything that saves people money never seems to work out. I'm sorry I couldn't answer your first question better. If I find out more I'll let you know!
You will need to get digital cable boxes for those two TVs. Those that are simply running a coax cable to the back of their set will be out of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 11:59 AM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
I'm adding this separately to keep it separate from what I wrote about the history of the change-over.

If you have cable, you don't need the converter box. I use antenna myself, for the same reasons that groove gave & a couple of others that come from working in broadcast TV. I'll get the converter box when I get around to it.

Getting the converter box gets you the digital signal. You will not have HDTV. If you buy a digital set that does not say HDTV, you are not getting HDTV.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:05 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,668,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
You will need to get digital cable boxes for those two TVs. Those that are simply running a coax cable to the back of their set will be out of luck.
Thanks roxors! I suspected that would be the case. You wouldn't happen to know whether those "converter boxes" would act as ATSC/QAM tuners that would allow cable reception (minus the Premium channnels of course!) in much the same way that running just the bare cable line into a new HDTV with that type of tuner does? Like southbound_295 states, I know I wouldn't be getting the HD channels either, but something is better than nothing. I seriously doubt that all those channels will be HD channels in Feb 2009, just "digital"!

Old 07-13-2008, 12:05 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,764,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
Not true. If you have any type of cable hooked up through the tv, even just a cable wire going to the back of the set, you will be fine. The switch only affects people who are still receiving an over the air analog signal via an antenna such as rooftop or rabbit ears. If you are receiving local channels in HD through an antenna, you are ok. The converter box does not hook up to a cable line. It takes your antenna and connects it to the box, then you connect the box to the tv.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:06 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Okay, now I am confused, LOL, so could you all break this down for me.

My DS lives in a house where we have Charter cable, but no "boxes." The coax just comes into the house and we split it to go to three TVs. Two TVs are analog oldies; one is DS's HDTV - wh/ he uses mainly for his xbox (that tv may not be hooked up to cable right now - the previous analog tv in that room was hooked up via coax cable).

What do I need to do to continue having service to those TVs after the switch over? Nothing? Buy something? Get a converter box (wh/ will add quite a bit to the monthly bill for renting those boxes).

I guess I need to be figuring this out so any help is appreciated.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Not true. If you have any type of cable hooked up through the tv, even just a cable wire going to the back of the set, you will be fine. The switch only affects people who are still receiving an over the air analog signal via an antenna such as rooftop or rabbit ears. If you are receiving local channels in HD through an antenna, you are ok. The converter box does not hook up to a cable line. It takes your antenna and connects it to the box, then you connect the box to the tv.
groove1 - The converter box is taking an over-the-air signal and converting it for use in an analog NTSC tuner ( your recent vintage Tube TV). The big question for me is "Can you connect the cable line to the input of the "converter box" and have it output some sort of viewable signal to that kind of TV"? I don't think too many cable customers will be "jumping for joy" at the prospect of having to rent more cable boxes from their cable providers. I was hoping those converter boxes were nothing more than a "digital-to-analog conversion tuner" that might be used on a cable as well as an over-the-air source!

Old 07-13-2008, 12:20 PM

DTV Answers : Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a tv that receives ANY type of digital signal be it cable or satellite, no box is needed.

If you have rabbit ears or an antenna, you need the box. If you do not use an antenna or rabbit ears, there is nothing to do.

Ani, your DS is receiving a digital signal (cable) through fiber optic cable lines, not analog signals over the air, so you are ok.

DTV Answers : Frequently Asked Questions

Old 07-13-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
groove1 - The converter box is taking an over-the-air signal and converting it for use in an analog NTSC tuner ( your recent vintage Tube TV). The big question for me is "Can you connect the cable line to the input of the "converter box" and have it output some sort of viewable signal to that kind of TV"? I don't think too many cable customers will be "jumping for joy" at the prospect of having to rent more cable boxes from their cable providers. I was hoping those converter boxes were nothing more than a "digital to analog conversion tuner" that might be used on a cable as well as an over-the-air source!

If you already receive cable, there would be no reason to do this. Cable customers need not do anything as they ALREADY receive a digital signal (not an over the air analog signal). Whether you have a cable box or cable without a box, you are obviously not using rabbit ears or receiving an analog signal.

"Television sets connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service will not require a converter box."

Old 07-13-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
If you already receive cable, there would be no reason to do this. Cable customers need not do anything.

"Television sets connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service will not require a converter box."
groove1 - Thanks for that info! It seems that we'll all be O.K. with just having a cable line run into the back of our old TVs without a box of any kind until 2012. That assumes our cable providers continue to support "digitally-converted analog service". I'll be starting a new thread on what we'll do in 2012! ani, Sunny - we're safe for a little while longer!!! Isn't technology wonderful?

Old 07-13-2008, 01:39 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Thanks, Groove! I was getting utterly confused. As usual, I appreciate your taking time to help me out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte