Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 02:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

This is a great thread and very helpful and I am sure this thread probably will have a second life this December and January .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 02:04 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
If you already receive cable, there would be no reason to do this. Cable customers need not do anything as they ALREADY receive a digital signal (not an over the air analog signal). Whether you have a cable box or cable without a box, you are obviously not using rabbit ears or receiving an analog signal.

"Television sets connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service will not require a converter box."
Taken from: ALL-DIGITAL TELEVISION IS COMING (AND SOONER THAN YOU THINK!)

"How Do I Receive Digital Broadcasts If I Subscribe To Cable Or Satellite?
If you receive cable or satellite television service, contact your cable or satellite provider about any additional components, such as a digital set-top box, that you may need to watch digital broadcast programming. "

As the signal from your cable or satellite provider will still be transmitted digitally, I strongly suspect that if your television is analog you will need a converter. I also suspect that the converters currently provided by satellite/cable companies have the ability to alternate between digital and analog signals. You may also find that the converters being sold for antenna use will convert the providers' signal, however I doubt they will allow this potential source of revenue escape them long term.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 AM

624 posts, read 2,108,791 times
CNET just posted an article that lays out a lot of information about the switch in some pretty basic terms. Below is a link.

DTV transition from analog to digital TV - CNET reviews

The article also touches on some of the other points mentioned in this thread about the Big money involved with selling off the airwave frequencies as well as dedicating parts of it to the emergency services like fire, police, and of course my personal passion EMS.

PS I still think McGruff should be brought back even if he has to take a bite out of analog TV.

Last edited by MysteryMT; 07-15-2008 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Here's a website that gives more detail on some of what I said. It's kind of techie so if it makes you go crioss-eyed, I'm sorry.

The FCC and High Definition TV

Old 07-15-2008, 10:15 AM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times
To answer the OP, until a month ago my parents were still using the roof antenna for their TVs. They finally decided to install cable...but only after my sisters and I said it was okay, because they made us "go without" all those years we were growing up!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Cable wasn't even offered in the city of Detroit until after we moved to a burb (1988), so we all dealt without it. When we moved to the burbs, my friends were all envious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte