Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:54 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times

Advertisements

For anyone visiting the Charlotte area house hunting, trying to get a feel for the area, ect, here are a few things you might want to do. I know you couldn't do all of these in one visit, but you could pick some that might interest you.

Uptown Charlotte - There are several museums here, but two that we really enjoy are: Discovery Place - This is a hands-on science museum for kids. But adults enjoy it too. It has the largest I-MAX theatre dome in the nation and is showing some very good films right now.

Museum of the New South - Not only is this a museum about the south, but the Charlotte area as well. Even my "think-they're-too-cool" 13 and 11 year old sons really enjoyed it.

ImagineOn - This is a top of the line children's center.

Splash Planet - A very nice indoor water park.

There are also many restaurants, shops, and a visitor's center uptown.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paramount's Carowinds (south Charlotte) - This is a large theme park that has a water park (the wp is closed for the season) that's included in the park admission price. It's open on weekends the rest of October.

Charlotte Nature Museum (south-central Charlotte) - In a very beautiful, wooded area, connected to Freedom Park.

Reedy Creek Park/Nature Preserve (east Charlotte) - We visit this area weekly we love it so much. It's 850-acres of pure heaven! It's hard to imagine such a beautiful place in the city limits of a city of 620,000. Has miles and miles of walking/biking trails, open areas, and a nature center. Also has other park offerings (dog park, picnic areas, basketball, ball fields, ect).

U.S. National Whitewater Center (west Charlotte) - This is the largest man-made rapids center in the world (it's an olympic training facility) and has the largest climing wall in the nation. They can adjust the rapdis to ALL skill levels. There are also miles of hiking/biking trails.

Lake Norman/Mooresville (suburb north of Charlotte) - You can take a lake tour on the Catawba Queen (Mississippi River-type river boat). Just outside of Mooresville, there is a drive-thru safari-type zoo called Lazy 5 Ranch. It has a walk-thru area and the drive-thru part is 3.5 miles long.

Concord (suburb NE of Charlotte) - Concord Mills Mall - This is not just another mall. It's what some call a "shoppertainment" mall; the shopping with fun entertainment areas. It's the biggest tourist attraction in NC/SC.

If you're a race fan, Lowe's Motor Speedway is 2 miles from the mall. They give tours daily.

Reed Gold Mine (just outside of Concord) - The first gold find in the nation (in 1799). You can pan for gold and tour the underground mines. It's really an interesting place.

There really is a lot to do in the Charlotte area, these are just a few things. If you need directions or anything, just post and I or someone can help you out. Enjoy!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 05:41 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times
Great thread!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,773 times
Great list! Thanks for taking the time to put it together! We have visited quite a few of the places you listed and all were great ways to entertain the whole family!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 AM

293 posts, read 959,031 times
Thanks for all of that great information! We can't wait to get there!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:36 AM

77 posts, read 461,340 times
Thanks for listing all these great places to go!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:42 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
What an interesting place the Charlotte area must be! I've added many of these items to my list for things to see when we travel to NC.

Thanks for posting this friendnc!

Old 10-03-2006, 10:02 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
For anyone visiting the Charlotte area house hunting, trying to get a feel for the area, ect, here are a few things you might want to do. I know you couldn't do all of these in one visit, but you could pick some that might interest you.

Thanks that's great info.

Last edited by Yac; 10-04-2006 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: quote shortened

Old 10-03-2006, 02:48 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
Thanks for taking the time, friendnc!

Old 10-03-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
What an interesting place the Charlotte area must be! I've added many of these items to my list for things to see when we travel to NC.

I told you it was, I don't know how people say Charlotte is boring.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post

Put Birkdale on the list(my favorite spot)besides Lake Norman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte