U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2008, 12:59 PM

21 posts, read 52,061 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking at taking a position at Maiden Middle School - so first off, any advice or opinions on the school itself will be welcomed.

But, this post is to address possible places to live. I do not want to live in a town as small as Maiden. I would not mind driving 20-25 minutes to school everyday and would like to be an equal timed drive from Charlotte. I have considered Gastonia because the city seemed nice on my visit, and from what I have heard is about 30 minutes from Maiden.

On a map I know Stanley is a little further north - but I would like advice from those who know as to possible places to visit that might fit my needs. I do not have children so a family-centered community is not a must. A reasonable apartment would be nice, maybe around 650-700 month for 2br (I found two nice places in Gastonia for $660 2br 2ba 1000 sq feet).

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,379 times
I go there . But anyways, Maiden is a pretty beast town, so why not just stay there?

Old 05-16-2010, 05:46 PM

224 posts, read 257,637 times
Lincolnton will get you closer distance to Charlotte than Maiden.
It offers quite a bit more in the way of amenties, stores, restaurants, etc. You might want to check around there too.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,270,916 times
Hickory if you are looking for a bigger "city"

Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 PM

13,182 posts, read 13,215,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go tribe! View Post
Hello,

I am looking at taking a position at Maiden Middle School - so first off, any advice or opinions on the school itself will be welcomed.

But, this post is to address possible places to live. I do not want to live in a town as small as Maiden. I would not mind driving 20-25 minutes to school everyday and would like to be an equal timed drive from Charlotte. I have considered Gastonia because the city seemed nice on my visit, and from what I have heard is about 30 minutes from Maiden.

On a map I know Stanley is a little further north - but I would like advice from those who know as to possible places to visit that might fit my needs. I do not have children so a family-centered community is not a must. A reasonable apartment would be nice, maybe around 650-700 month for 2br (I found two nice places in Gastonia for $660 2br 2ba 1000 sq feet).

Thanks!
No kids, no question, South Gastonia. Look at apartments on Union, Hudson, & Robinwood.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:19 PM

2,263 posts, read 3,723,263 times
I agree with Southbound. The nicest apartments are all in the part of town mentioned...I lived in Orchard Trace for a short while some years back. Those were nice apartments. Some complexes offer discounts for teachers, but I'm not sure if you have to work in Gaston County Schools or in any district. Be sure to ask about that.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
I agree with Southbound. The nicest apartments are all in the part of town mentioned...I lived in Orchard Trace for a short while some years back. Those were nice apartments. Some complexes offer discounts for teachers, but I'm not sure if you have to work in Gaston County Schools or in any district. Be sure to ask about that.
Thanks for the back up!

I go past those apartment complexes when I go to Gastonia, while going between the mall, the shopping on East Franklin, Aldi, & Lowes Foods. There are also some really nice houses in that area too.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 AM

2,447 posts, read 4,779,354 times
I agree but the OP was 7-13-2008, I think he's found somewhere by now. Hopefully this thread can help someone else who may be in a similar situation. Southbound- That area is nice! Lake Forest off Robinwood has 5000 -6000+ sq ft homes. I think of those houses when people say Gastonia is podunk, run down, hickville etc. As you know, some people are clueless!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
I agree but the OP was 7-13-2008, I think he's found somewhere by now. Hopefully this thread can help someone else who may be in a similar situation. Southbound- That area is nice! Lake Forest off Robinwood has 5000 -6000+ sq ft homes. I think of those houses when people say Gastonia is podunk, run down, hickville etc. As you know, some people are clueless!
NCgirl, while there are some rundown areas of Gastonia, a lot is very, very nice. A friend & I drove through that area & saw a really phenomenal house. My friend told me that the house was built by the owner of a place he had once worked at, & that the person was a multi-millionaire.

Unfortunately, the high school in Gastonia doesn't rank well, which is why I tell people to look in Lincoln County & Kings Mountain which are close enough, with very good schools, when the schools are involved.

Thanks for pointing out that this is an old thread. I usually check & catch them & ignore the thread until it fades back into oblivion, but missed it this time.

The good thing is that this thread will now help someone else, most likely. Since there are good elementary public schools in South Gastonia, my guess is that it's just a matter of time before the high school is improved.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 PM

2,447 posts, read 4,779,354 times
I think you're right. There are plans to build a new HS in Cramerton which will ease some of the crowding at East Gaston (mt. holly) and South Point (Belmont). Since the economy is down I not sure when it will be built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte