U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 12:50 PM

206 posts, read 732,573 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of getting estimates on a new pool. We don't want vinyl or fiberglass which is making it hard for me to find info. Has anyone used Blue Haven or Anthony Sylvan? Thoughts? Are there any other companies?

We are also thinking of putting a motorized cover and I was hoping to get some feedback.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 01:02 PM

78 posts, read 209,837 times
There was another thread about this subject. Do a search on "pools" and you'll come up with lots of them.

We had a 20x40 vinyl pool installed 5 years ago. We do not have a heater - don't need it - the sun heats it up very nicely, to bath water. We do not close it, we only put a leaf cover over during the fall and winter, only to keep the leaves out. Unless your using the cover because you have small children, I wouldn't even waste money on a cover, you'll find most people around here leave them running year round. I'ts not too much on the energy bill either when you consider pools are used from April-September, even early October. We had friends who had Anthony-Sylvan, VERY expensive, they've had more problems than we have. There's is gunite, with a spa. We had a company called HRH Construction, they were awesome!! did everything from fencing, brick steps, concrete, permits. Not sure if he's still around, he is an older man, but his son may have taken over. Do a search and you'll find other posts on this subject.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:58 PM

Thanks. I did do a search and they are all pretty much about vinyl pools. We want gunite. We have a 3 yr old so we will either do a motorized cover or fence the pool as well as the yard.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:10 PM

78 posts, read 209,837 times
Anthony-Sylvan might be your best bet to start. Check the BBB website also, that might help. Check the Concord area as well. I've noticed there aren't alot of pool stores around here either. Leslie's just opened one near 77 and Harris, before that I had to go clear down to the other store on 74. BJ's has the best deal on chlorine tabs and granulars.....just fyi. Sam's/Costco is probably the same way, 50# for $80 of granular.

Also from experience, when I was growing up we had a gunite pool, it will give you blisters, just beware especially with the little one. Vinyl is slippery, so they both have their cons. Good Luck.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the help. There are so many decisions. We are debating between regular and salt water too. I guess the salt water pools are corroding natural stone so if we go that route we will do stamped concrete.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:39 PM

70 posts, read 242,426 times
You won't find any advertisements for them but I used Pelican Pools in Cornelius. They just finished mine about 3 weeks ago. They do only salt water pools and only install natural stone for the coping. I would check your info on salt, rock and corrosion. The salinity in the pool is very low from what I have been told, way less than the ocean. I'm no chemist so I do not know, but I would not bet on the information that you have. As far as who is the "best" pool builder, I have no idea, but I will tell you that I was referred to Pelican by 4 independent people. They do most of the pools where I live--I would imagine that where I live I put in a "cheap" pool at $60k. The whole process is not cheap and don't forget about the back end charges (landscaping). Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte