Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 01:12 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,672 times

Advertisements

First off, thanks to ani for the awesome banner of congratulations (from another thread)!

That was really sweet of you, ani, so thanks a ton! I was prompted by another sweet CLT City Data friend to inform her of my news, so I thought I'd share it with the rest of you as I told her.

The job is with the State Lab of Public Health in the Bioterrorism and Emerging Pathogens Unit. There are 4 labs across the state with one being in Mecklenburg. The primary objective is testing clinical and environmental samples suspected of containing a CDC Select Agent. There are about 9 pathogens on the Select Agent list ranging from anthrax to plague to ricin toxin or botulism. We are also capable of testing for H5N1 Avian Influenza and serve as a surge capacity for a major outbreak of Shigella or E. coli. We are basically funded under Homeland Security grants through the Dept. of Health and Human Services, and work very closely with hospitals, county health departments, sentinel and reference laboratories, CDC, FBI, SBI, USDA, and other relevant local, state, and federal agencies concerned with accidental or intentional release of bioterrorism agents.

I left the job last year for financial reasons (long story in itself), but now with my wife getting a great job that pays more than what we were both making combined last year, my salary isn't as big a concern. After about a year of not being able to find another job within this field, I was blessed with this position opening back up, and the status has been changed from a Medical Lab Technologist I to an MLT II, so that means the salary is a little higher.

So when I found out the position was open again, I humbled myself and asked my former supervisor and the state lab director if a rehire was possible. They welcomed my application but said I would of course have to go through the formal interview process. So, almost 2 months later, they offered me the position on Friday, and I start on Monday!

We really are truly blessed as I have been out of work for about 2.5 months and I'm also able to get back into my field in the job that I love. It's really exciting for us and I'm happy to be able to share the news with you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 01:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Awwwwwwwww!!!! What a wonderful, heart-warming story, CG!!!! (Glad you liked the banner, too!)

This sounds terrific - not only b/c you got a job back that you obviously can truly make a contribution doing (and w/ a step up w/ title and pay! Hooray!!) but also - sounds like your wife has gotten a great position, too! So you have been blessed in many ways!!!

And I know your family is thrilled, as well . . . having you HERE where they can enjoy your (and your wife's) presence - and knowing you are in a job you enjoy . . .

So . . . once again . . . Congratulations, CG! And thank you for sharing your story with us. (btw- nice to know you are out there - taking care of our health and welfare)

Old 07-13-2008, 01:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Congratulations carolina_guy! We're all glad you're not leaving. It's always nice to work at a job you love and are good at, even if it's not going to make you rich! Congratulations to your wife on finding that new job too!

maryland_guy - nah, I don't think so!

Now, I have someone to go to, to "test" my Castor Oil plants!

Old 07-13-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Awwwwwwwww!!!! What a wonderful, heart-warming story, CG!!!! (Glad you liked the banner, too!)

This sounds terrific - not only b/c you got a job back that you obviously can truly make a contribution doing (and w/ a step up w/ title and pay! Hooray!!) but also - sounds like your wife has gotten a great position, too! So you have been blessed in many ways!!!

And I know your family is thrilled, as well . . . having you HERE where they can enjoy your (and your wife's) presence - and knowing you are in a job you enjoy . . .

So . . . once again . . . Congratulations, CG! And thank you for sharing your story with us. (btw- nice to know you are out there - taking care of our health and welfare)
You're the best as always, ani! Yeah, my family is thrilled too. All things considered, we're really happy we're staying in our hometown.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Congratulations carolina_guy! We're all glad you're not leaving. It's always nice to work at a job you love and are good at, even if it's not going to make you rich! Congratulations to your wife on finding that new job too!

maryland_guy - nah, I don't think so!

Now, I have someone to go to, to "test" my Castor Oil plants!
Hahaha....thanks, buddy! Now as for those Castor beans, keep those to yourself!

Old 07-13-2008, 02:05 PM

206 posts, read 799,089 times
Congrats!!! It is wonderful that you will be able to do something you love once again.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:41 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Excellent!

Old 07-13-2008, 03:49 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,685 times

Old 07-13-2008, 03:49 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,982,267 times
Couldn't be happier for you. Also glad your staying in this neck of the woods, though we would have just chimed in on the MD. board if we had to. BTW, your dog is beautiful. I swear, it looks like he is actually posing for that picture!
Good luck tomorrow.............

Old 07-13-2008, 03:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Hahaha....thanks, buddy! Now as for those Castor beans, keep those to yourself!
Not meaning to hijack in any way, but since you mentioned the castor beans - that is what I thought when Em wrote that (Em- you are a rascal!!!!). Do you remember the Deborah Green case in Kansas City? Both husband and wife were docs . . . she tried to poison him using castor beans. Amazingly horrific story!!! Like a movie!!! The Naval Research Lab in DC finally figured out the poor guy had been poisoned - he nearly died . . .

Now back to your thread, and hope you didn't mind that little sidebar on castor beans/ricin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte