U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 PM

575 posts, read 1,350,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
How about lure in the dog and take it to a shelter saying you can't take care of it anymore
DONT RECOMMEND doing this. Someone did this to a cat and the cats owner got wind of it. He/She went to the shelter and the animal was destroyed. The person who brought the animal in was arrested and sued!

Last edited by diamondplayer; 07-15-2008 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 12:52 PM

295 posts, read 1,193,268 times
You really have to say something to your neighbors FIRST. (Of course, its too late now, you've already ratted them out to the HOA board).

I can appreciate your frustration about them crapping in your back yard, but despite the newsletters posting warnings about dogs, etc - your neighbors may still be oblivious to what their dogs are doing. They probably just let them outside and are unaware where the deposits are being left. If you ring their doorbell and let them know what's going on, I've got to believe they'll start paying better attention. At the very least, you'd then have grounds to file an official complaint.

I love my clean backyard and I love dogs - so if it were my dogs that were crapping on someone else's lawn (doubtful, but I'm trying to put myself in their shoes) I'd want my neighbor to tell me about it the very first time it happened. If I were the dog owner, I'd be pretty embarrassed and would make sure it wouldn't happen again.

If they turn out to be jerks for whatever reason, then feel free to let loose on them. I just think that too many things in life get escalated because they aren't confronted early and face-to-face. Its too easy to get caught in email, text message, or phone wars when a misunderstanding might have been quelled with a good old fashioned face-to-face conversation.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
DONT RECOMMEND doing this. Someone did this to a cat and the cats owner got wind of it. He/She went to the shelter and the animal was destroyed. The person who brought the animal in was arrested and sued!
Yeah - I second that it would be a STUPID and criminal thing to do. Dogs are, more often than not, a part of the family. Do not take your anger out on the dogs when its the dog owners that are the ones you are upset with.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,511,961 times
moderator note:

encouraging or suggesting illegal activity is not permitted on this forum.
Stick to the OP
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 07-15-2008, 01:06 PM

38 posts, read 117,600 times
Default Depending on your yard...

If there is a specific area they like to poop in or a way they enter your yard you could get a motion activated sprinkler and place it in that area. Our neighbor got one for cats climbing on his bird feeders and says it works great for that.

I think I also remember a story about some kind of not able to be heard by human dog alarm that you can buy. There are also sprays that will keep them away. But unless you are moving in the next while it isn't worth it to have a fight/war/words with your neighbor. I learned that by watching my parents deal with that for years over something much like you are dealing with and after 6 years I think they wish they would have just found a way to deal with it without saying anything. Maybe your neighbors wouldn't be as bad as what my poor parents had to deal with...but you never know, they could be worse. I feel for you and wish you Good luck whatever you do!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:15 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
Problem is now you'd probably get fined for Illegal Watering of your grass
OH MY! You are probably right . . . too bad as this is a humane way to discourage the dog and hurts no one.

After all, it is not he dog's fault that the owners are irresponsible.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Do what Jim Carey did in Me,Myself and Irene.
Now THAT is friggin' funny!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:48 PM

285 posts, read 970,178 times
I second the thorny bushes.

Also, I think there are some sprays you can buy to deter animals?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM

999 posts, read 4,254,410 times
Found the noise device mentioned, but it's in England.....
Pest Patrol - Outdoor Animal/Rodent Deterrent

found one here but it says it for cats, and works on "some dogs"
Cat Stop Cat & Animal Repellent

Ok, one more, says it will repel dogs, mixed reviews, and noone mentioned dogs:
http://www.amazon.com/YARDGARD-YG-Ya.../dp/B000ALEW7Q

Good luck!

Last edited by joanchris2000; 07-15-2008 at 08:17 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,841,612 times
I would confront the owners on the issue. IF it is not settled after then, I would consult an attorney to write a letter ($200 max) to the HOA and copying the owners of the dogs stating that if this activity continues, you will see them both in court. I'm assuming you have copies of the letters sent to the HOA and that they were sent certified correct??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte