U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:57 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,729,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
If the weapon may be taken away from you to be used on you, that is one case where it would be better to have a taser than an actual gun.

Where do you go to practice using a taser?
You could practice in the back yard if it's a shooting type of taser (not 100% sure those are legal for citizens). Just set up a pillow with a shirt on it...step back 10-20' and practice. If it's a non-shooting type and you just want to get the feel for it, just practice drawing it, activating it, and lunging with it like you're using it on someone. In either case, do not practice on real people...as funny as the videos are to watch people get buzzed by one, it can cause complications that you're not ready to deal with in your house (heart issues, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 845 times
Any of these non lethal self defense weapons are effective if used properly. Tasers will penetrate up to 2 inches of clothing, you must be within 15 feet to use, stun guns re used by contact with attacker & pepper sprays are most effective when spray directly in the facial area.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-13-2011 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 05-15-2011, 08:58 AM

359 posts, read 503,703 times
Tasers are stun guns with deployable prongs.

If you deploy the prongs and only one hits the subject, you can actually complete the current by dry stunning the subject with the taser.

You can also just dry stun a subject if the prongs aren't on the taser.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:45 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,788,121 times
If you get stun gun, have someone shoot you with it so you will know if it's really something that you want to involve yourself with.

You don't want a false sense of security because if you do try to use it on someone, and they resist the stun, you are probably going to be killed. You can bet the crook who you "drew" against won't be using a way to "humanely" hurt you. They are going to use the real thing. They might even get off any prosecution on a self defense claim. IMO, if you draw any weapon against someone, you better finish them off.

However if you insist, I do recommend as mentioned above to go to the Metrolina Gun and Knife show. They might be able to talk you into a real gun.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:47 PM

I've been tasered and you will be completely defenseless if it is used on you.

I am 6-3 225, in good shape.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:17 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,446,957 times
I wouldn't bother getting one at a gun show. Just go to Shooter's Express or Hyatt's.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,788,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
I've been tasered and you will be completely defenseless if it is used on you.

I am 6-3 225, in good shape.
Only if the party who shot it knows how to use it and how it works. This isn't an argument on if they take down someone or not.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM

You point and shoot

Well of course you turn it on first

Maybe I am missing something

Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 AM

873 posts, read 1,541,721 times
Your real life experience should speak for itself. You've "been there, done that", but that doesn't matter among some here. You aren't missing anything! It's the ultimate in simplicity. And thanks for your input. Some would probably just splash the "assailant" with Diazinon! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
You point and shoot

Well of course you turn it on first

Maybe I am missing something

Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM

873 posts, read 1,541,721 times
High Caliber Firearms in Mt. Holly is another good source, and actually the first source I'd turn to if buying from a dealer. Great people to work with and very knowledgeable and helpful. I just order that kind of thing online. There are a million sources and N.C. residents can purchase online with no problems, to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I wouldn't bother getting one at a gun show. Just go to Shooter's Express or Hyatt's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte