U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:14 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,163,873 times

Advertisements

For anyone who craves a great Taylor Ham Egg and Cheese on a roll, there's a little breakfast/lunch place in downtown Waxhaw!!!

I was so happy to have found this place. It reminds me of all those tiny little sandwich shops that you can find in most towns in NJ.
It's called "Main Street Grill" and it's right on West South Main street, parallel to the train tracks in Waxhaw. The owner tells me that they've only been open for four months. I wanted to jump over the counter and give her a big hug, but that would have been inappropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:18 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,199,652 times
I love THEC's. And BEC's. mmm, miss 'em. too bad I'm nowhere near waxhaw, but thanks for the info!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:28 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Gosh, StMaartan - it sounds very tasty to me! Guess I better try it out. Thanks for the info - a new spot for me to discover!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Gosh, StMaartan - it sounds very tasty to me! Guess I better try it out. Thanks for the info - a new spot for me to discover!
It's really not a fancy place, Ani, but the food, at least the roll I had, was delicious.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,667,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
It's really not a fancy place, Ani, but the food, at least the roll I had, was delicious.
stmaarten - I may give that place a try real soon. I used the last of my carefully hoarded supply of the Shop-Rite version of Taylor Ham that my sister and BIL brought down. The bad part was it was the "mild" and not the "tangy" variety which tastes closer to the "real thing". BTW, I've got a complaint about rolls in general which may apply to both North and South. Whatever happened to real "hard rolls" like the kind you could get from any delicatessen in years past? Ever since most stores and supermarkets have on-site bakeries, the quality of rolls has gone down the tubes. This happened about 15 or 20 years ago in NJ. I suspect that there are baked goods here that have experienced a similar decline in quality compared to years past. What I wouldn't do for some good hard rolls with poppy seeds on them that actually had some "body" to them, instead of their mushy counterparts that seem to be ubiquitous.

There are some web sites that sell the six pound rolls of Taylor Ham and since I may go back to my Atkins Diet again, I may spring for one.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:57 PM

457 posts, read 1,226,033 times
You may want to try Lowe's Food Stores (Ballantyne - Promenade) they sell the Talor Ham (Pork Roll) in the 2 lb casing, check near the deli section with the Boars Head provisions, I picked one up the other day.....

Old 07-15-2008, 02:06 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,667,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
You may want to try Lowe's Food Stores (Ballantyne - Promenade) they sell the Talor Ham (Pork Roll) in the 2 lb casing, check near the deli section with the Boars Head provisions, I picked one up the other day.....
Thanks uncgdad! - stmaarten clued me last year, about Lowe's having Taylor Ham. I just like having the large size roll that is the diameter of a slice of bread, although if I do Atkins, bread may become a distant memory for a long time!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:17 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,302,164 times
I was joking with my husband the other day, our first morning in NC, I asked him if he was going to run out to get me a Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese Sandwich. He just gave me a dirty look . Now he only has to drive an hour to get me one. YEAH!!!!!!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
stmaarten - I may give that place a try real soon. I used the last of my carefully hoarded supply of the Shop-Rite version of Taylor Ham that my sister and BIL brought down. The bad part was it was the "mild" and not the "tangy" variety which tastes closer to the "real thing". BTW, I've got a complaint about rolls in general which may apply to both North and South. Whatever happened to real "hard rolls" like the kind you could get from any delicatessen in years past? Ever since most stores and supermarkets have on-site bakeries, the quality of rolls has gone down the tubes. This happened about 15 or 20 years ago in NJ. I suspect that there are baked goods here that have experienced a similar decline in quality compared to years past. What I wouldn't do for some good hard rolls with poppy seeds on them that actually had some "body" to them, instead of their mushy counterparts that seem to be ubiquitous.

There are some web sites that sell the six pound rolls of Taylor Ham and since I may go back to my Atkins Diet again, I may spring for one.
Sadly, Emissary, the Taylor Ham sandwiches I found are NOT made with those wonderful, crunchy rolls that you (and I) crave, but I don't know if they even have access to them.
I saw some rolls labeled "Chicago rolls" in HT the other day. I gave them a squeeze and they were, in fact, crunchy. I brought them home and was pleasantly surprised at how delicious (and crunchy!) they were.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I was joking with my husband the other day, our first morning in NC, I asked him if he was going to run out to get me a Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese Sandwich. He just gave me a dirty look . Now he only has to drive an hour to get me one. YEAH!!!!!!!!
That'll be a very expensive THEC on a roll, with the high gas prices we're dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte