U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 PM

714 posts, read 2,026,869 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to post about how thrilled I am with this forum. I hope that's ok.

The moderators rule (and I mean that in the cheerleader "YOU RULE" way!) , even when they delete my post because I (oops) apparently insulted someone in a post of mine. I can do that sometimes.

I first found this forum last year. I was looking for details on a new development cropping up near my house and city-data.com had those details in (shockingly) this forum. I read the details, contributed maybe a bit, and was hooked.

I keep coming back. And folks like Anifani and SunnyKayak make it easy to do so. I keep posting. The strangest things that some people might think trivial (hey, the lady at the Target locked her infant in her car, shouldn't we think about that?) are accepted here.

I found a fantastic rain barrel via DM with another poster.

I have tried more restaurants than I can list thanks to recommendations here.

I moved to Charlotte in 2004, a transplant from northern Virginia (Reston for 13 years) and before that, Atlanta, Georgia. The "south" I moved back to was in many ways different -- and yet oddly the same -- as the south I returned to. Contributing and reading here has helped me make some sense of that.

I love Charlotte because no one is from Charlotte, and those that you find who are from Charlotte are like gems who can tell you about the way things used to be. It's fantastic.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your contributions here!

Last edited by diertac; 07-15-2008 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,559,055 times
Glad you like it here...soon, you'll be in that position of offering names of places you've tried, roads you've travelled, plants you grew, share experiences on mean people who tried to grab your frozen dinners at Teeter Totter [sounds familiar?}, etc. etc.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Hey, Diertac! It means a lot to me that you feel we have helped you. I learn here weekly - sometimes daily!

I stumbled across City Data b/c I was feeling really frustrated one day . . . and I am too embarrassed to even reveal what I typed in on google . . . but it pulled up a thread . . . and I started reading . . . and I thought - wow. This is some kind of forum where people give each other insight on stuff in the area. I kept looking and immediately realized how helpful the forum could be. I read for over six months b/f I ever posted anything, LOL!!! In fact, was reading b/f I even joined . . .

I am a native, yes . . . but moving back was difficult for me. I had been off having a big adventure and I did not want to come back to the familiar!!!! I wanted the adventure to continue!!! But I made peace w/ it - took me a while - and part of the adjustment was in realizing that all the things that are familiar to me are NEW to people who have moved here - and maybe my knowledge could somehow help them enjoy their adventure!

It is easy to get stuck in a rut . . . and that is what I was doing when I moved back here. Felt like I was re-reading an old book that I was tired of reading. B/c of CD and our wonderful members - I find out about things I have not noticed . . . did not know about . . . or had basically ignored!!! This has helped me feel a sense of adventure, too.

Your contributions here have been part of what makes this forum a great resource - we all learn from each other. Glad you are here, Diertac!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:25 AM

27 posts, read 115,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
I love Charlotte because no one is from Charlotte, and those that you find who are from Charlotte are like gems who can tell you about the way things used to be. It's fantastic.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your contributions here!
Charlotte is kind of a melting pot when it comes to that. A lot of people come here from NY, being that Charlotte is such a big banking city, can't blame them I guess. Almost 2 million (correct me if I'm wrong) people live here the last time I checked.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:43 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,746,507 times
I love this forum too and Ani is on top of my list as well. For me, it confirms the main reason I moved down here... for the wonderful people.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM

38 posts, read 63,841 times
As a native New Yorker it's nice to see others from all over who are looking to live with others who care about each other like we have here in Charlotte.i moved further upstate in NYS to find friendlier, considerate people but the ice and snow got too much to deal with as I got older. In reality Charlotte has almost everything NYC goes but on a more manageable scale. Wish I moved here decades ago!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
NDL

3,142 posts, read 3,614,894 times
Quote:
The moderators rule (and I mean that in the cheerleader "YOU RULE" way!)
I agree. The moderators give us A LOT of latitude in what we can/cannot post. I give Sunny a huge thumbs up .

Quote:
I keep coming back. And folks like Anifani and SunnyKayak make it easy to do so. I keep posting. The strangest things that some people might think trivial (hey, the lady at the Target locked her infant in her car, shouldn't we think about that?) are accepted here.
Agreed.

I hope that I don't insult anyone in the list that I am about to create. In other words, if I forget anyone, it isn't intentional or deliberate:

A *HUGE* thumbsup to Chromekitty, Ani, Loves Mountains, Peyton, GCharlotte, and Southbound 295 .

I moved from New York, and the above posters have given me numerous EXCELLENT suggestions - be it where to eat; what parts of town are (and aren't) safe; historical/museums to see; restaurants to frequent.

Sunny, Urban, VMAX, MikeyKid, and Coped, serve up food for thought, arguments of substance, from perspectives that are different than my own. Mullman, Frew, James, Amploud restore my sanity when I think the whole world has gone mad.

PinkCaddy makes me laugh. Chicagocubs warms my heart. Likewise, there's always something of substance coming from Bs13690, Clevelandmike, Crestliner, and Paulos.

Like I said, if you don't see your name on here, please don't take it to heart . It might be that I genuinely enjoy your posts, but your name isn't coming to mind because I haven't seen you on the board in awhile.

To those who've helped, THANK YOU ALL

Last edited by NDL; 11-12-2012 at 09:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte