U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 PM
 
55 posts, read 174,738 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

We are finally coming to check out Charlotte because we think this is where we want to move. What is the best way to get a feel for the neighborhoods. We know we want to live on Lake Norman or Lake Wiley. Only going to be there for 4 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2008, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Reputation: 39845
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1977 View Post
We are finally coming to check out Charlotte because we think this is where we want to move. What is the best way to get a feel for the neighborhoods. We know we want to live on Lake Norman or Lake Wiley. Only going to be there for 4 days.
The absolute best thing you can do is find a good realtor (or 2 - one who knows each area well) and get THEM to show you around. With such limited time here you really need some help making sure you don't miss anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,662 posts, read 8,670,326 times
Reputation: 797
Agreed with loves on such time restraints. One suggestion though: if you're coming for a long weekend, save Lake Norman for Saturday and Sunday. Take advantage of downtown Davidson and that will give you the best representation of what you can expect from your neighbors. Maybe you'll be here during Concerts on the Green Downtown Davidson, Inc. and meet some people.

It will really depend on where you will work. However, with just concerning the two lakes, Lake Wylie cannot compare with the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, and Mooresville in terms of quaintness, old town feel, quality of life, entertainment options, dining, and shopping.

I don't know much about the Lake Wylie schools, but you will find good schools in Cornelius and Mooresville from what I understand.

Check out NC School Report Cards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Reputation: 39845
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Agreed with loves on such time restraints. One suggestion though: if you're coming for a long weekend, save Lake Norman for Saturday and Sunday. Take advantage of downtown Davidson and that will give you the best representation of what you can expect from your neighbors. Maybe you'll be here during Concerts on the Green Downtown Davidson, Inc. and meet some people.

It will really depend on where you will work. However, with just concerning the two lakes, Lake Wylie cannot compare with the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, and Mooresville in terms of quaintness, old town feel, quality of life, entertainment options, dining, and shopping.

I don't know much about the Lake Wylie schools, but you will find good schools in Cornelius and Mooresville from what I understand.

Check out NC School Report Cards
I hear ya carolina guy, and I don't disagree about Davidson being quaint and all- BUT...for my tastes I would take Tega Cay on Lake Wylie any day for lake living over anywhere on Lake Norman.

Tega Cay is not crowded and congested like Cornelius and Mooresville. If offers a much quieter lifestyle with days when you'll feel like you are the only one on Lake Wylie - try finding that on Lake Norman, lol. Just the lack of traffic jams alone would sell me on Lake Wylie. The schools are Fort Mill schools - very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 04:04 AM
 
7 posts, read 25,536 times
Reputation: 10
The Tax difference between Mecklenburg county and York county would make you choose Lake Wylie much faster. Tega Cay is beautiful and Lake Norman is way too crowded. There is never a day that goes by traffic is not backed up on 77N starting around 4pm near Lake Norman... not the case near Lake Wylie. Get a good realtor for both areas. First Properties is wonderful and would go out of their way to help you regardless whether you went with them or not. They deal primarily with tega cay and fort mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 05:42 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,181 posts, read 2,746,507 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgal528 View Post
The Tax difference between Mecklenburg county and York county would make you choose Lake Wylie much faster. Tega Cay is beautiful and Lake Norman is way too crowded. There is never a day that goes by traffic is not backed up on 77N starting around 4pm near Lake Norman... not the case near Lake Wylie. Get a good realtor for both areas. First Properties is wonderful and would go out of their way to help you regardless whether you went with them or not. They deal primarily with tega cay and fort mill.
The city of Tega Cay imposes city taxes in addition to county taxes that will bring your tax bill pretty high. So, look into that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 06:01 AM
 
Location: NE Charlotte, NC (University City)
1,894 posts, read 5,726,557 times
Reputation: 1041
I would highly recommend renting for at least 6 months to get your own opinion formed about an area. No matter how good the realtor, they're there to make money. No opinion or take on an area is going to be better than your own...especially when there's a $300k+ home involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,507 posts, read 8,011,441 times
Reputation: 3332
Regardless of where you are looking I suggest going to visit the neighborhood at several different times of day, if you have time. Renting for a while isn't a bad idea either. You may even be able to find a rental home in the neighborhood you are interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 09:15 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,181 posts, read 2,746,507 times
Reputation: 460
I agree with renting, but then get involved in the community through volunteering and find out where the people you like live. You'll learn what neighborhoods have the kind of people you like to live with.

Driving around will give you a good look at how they care for their landscaping and what nationality they are and if they have kids, but it won't tell you if you're going to like them. In any case, unless you know them personally before you buy the house, it's a gamble, so try to gather as much info as you can.

I actually saw a home listed where the comments actually said "Great Neighbors". Wouldn't it be easy if listings all came with neighbor info like that. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,662 posts, read 8,670,326 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I hear ya carolina guy, and I don't disagree about Davidson being quaint and all- BUT...for my tastes I would take Tega Cay on Lake Wylie any day for lake living over anywhere on Lake Norman.

Tega Cay is not crowded and congested like Cornelius and Mooresville. If offers a much quieter lifestyle with days when you'll feel like you are the only one on Lake Wylie - try finding that on Lake Norman, lol. Just the lack of traffic jams alone would sell me on Lake Wylie. The schools are Fort Mill schools - very good.
I hear ya...I guess it all just boils down to personal preference. But you can certainly find plenty of quiet coves at LKN. And how is the commute from Lake Wylie to downtown Charlotte? I'd venture to say the same or a little worse than LKN, but that's only a guess.

To the OP, what exactly are you looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top