U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:21 PM

5,288 posts, read 4,837,757 times
I know it is against the law for real estate agents to answer questions like this (how diverse) under the threat of losing their license. All agents I know in a half a dozen cities inc. CLT know how to gracefully answer without offending the client.

What I'm curious about from CLT RE agents is : How often (% wise) is this question asked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 04:25 PM

27,209 posts, read 19,964,237 times
I can speak for the multing housing industry specifically in the uptown area.....Quiet often. Probably 1/2 ask about the makeup of the community....

Of course the fair housing laws are broke out at that point and thy get no further.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,280,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
the majority in Brooklyn is African American and West Indian

not possible unless the last time he lived in NYC was the 1950's
Not in Sheepshead Bay and around the Verrazano Bridge, near Staten Island. It's mostly Russian, Italian and Asian out there still. So, I guess it's faintly possible that the guy never met a black person.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:35 PM

5,288 posts, read 4,837,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Not in Sheepshead Bay and around the Verrazano Bridge, near Staten Island. It's mostly Russian, Italian and Asian out there still. So, I guess it's faintly possible that the guy never met a black person.
You read the details wrong. He's 45 now. Use to hang in BKLN. years ago. Probably talking about in teens or early 20's.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:21 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,769,936 times
Another issue about this so-called diversity occured to me after reading someone's post in another forum site. They live in Chicago, and she's had to place her husband in a nursing home. He's having an incredibly hard time being there because no one on the staff speaks english, and he obviously doesn't know any other languages. The mis-communications and mis-understandings are proving extremely dangerous to his health.

At least I know that I'd feel comfortable when it's time to do something similar here.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:24 PM

21,809 posts, read 38,350,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
You read the details wrong. He's 45 now. Use to hang in BKLN. years ago. Probably talking about in teens or early 20's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Another issue about this so-called diversity occured to me after reading someone's post in another forum site. They live in Chicago, and she's had to place her husband in a nursing home. He's having an incredibly hard time being there because no one on the staff speaks english, and he obviously doesn't know any other languages. The mis-communications and mis-understandings are proving extremely dangerous to his health.

At least I know that I'd feel comfortable when it's time to do something similar here.
MODERATOR NOTE:

Keep it local.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 PM

285 posts, read 713,219 times
Ani

I would have asked only because of us being cuban and puerto rican descent, we didn't know if we would be accepted here.

I wouldn't want to move into a neighborhood where we would be looked down at or snubbed. Or worst, hassled.

However on my research and reading this forum, I knew it wouldn't be an issue. Plus I have family here already who love it.

So I didn't neccessarily move to a neighborhood that is all cuban/puerto rican but rather to a neighborhood that is friendly to all diversity/ethnic groups. Does that make sense?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 PM

21,809 posts, read 38,350,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
Ani

I would have asked only because of us being cuban and puerto rican descent, we didn't know if we would be accepted here.

I wouldn't want to move into a neighborhood where we would be looked down at or snubbed. Or worst, hassled.

However on my research and reading this forum, I knew it wouldn't be an issue. Plus I have family here already who love it.

So I didn't neccessarily move to a neighborhood that is all cuban/puerto rican but rather to a neighborhood that is friendly to all diversity/ethnic groups. Does that make sense?
It makes sense to me it kinda like a single person looking for a neighborhood with more others who are single living verses where there alot of babies on board crowd.

Or a senior citizen looking for similar around their age group type neighborhoods verses newleywed type neighborhoods.

Instead Im glad you found a neighborhood that is mixed of various kinds.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:50 PM

285 posts, read 713,219 times
Actually it is mostly white americans here....LOL

But the point was that they accepted us, involve us here in the nieghborhood and their kids are always over playing etc. It doesn't seem to matter that we are american born with a spanish heritage.

Edited to add: rereading my post, it seems like it isn't a big deal to have spanish heritage but I once lived in a tiny city in Florida that gave us a hard time. We were absolutely miserable there and left as soon as we could. It was a humbling experience and made us a little more aware of racism. First time and last time we had encountered it too!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:00 AM

35,168 posts, read 41,673,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
Ani

Oh, yes, NewChar, it totally makes sense. I would not want to move somewhere that people treated me badly!!! I guess I have been in a bubble, in a way, cause here in NC (cannot speak for the rest of the South!!!), there is actually a lot of interest in meeting people from other areas of the country - and the world, for that matter. We don't have the history of negativity about people from other countries. For ex, as a child, I was so surprised when I went to NY and heard people disparagingly speak of PR's. I was clueless. Finally, I asked my Dad what these remarks were about and he explained that they were running down Puerto Ricans. I was so confused. Why would someone just automatically dislike another person b/c they moved here from Puerto Rico??? Now these were my Philadelphia relatives and their neighbors complaining about PRs (we had gone into NY that day).

Civil rights were such a big issue here in the South that by the 60s, only ignorant people used disparaging names for other ethnicities. It was very uncool. Yet every time I went to see my cousins in PA and NJ, we would be sitting around having a cook out w/ their neighbors or friends . . . or be dining in a restaurant w/ a group . . . and inevitably, words were used that I didn't understand. IF I type them here, the editing feature of this software will delete them, Hee Hee, but I am sure you know what they are. I had never heard these words in the South, and indeed, never heard them spoken EVER until I was in college and heard people from other areas use those terms in jokes, for ex. There were terms for Irish, Italians, for ex. that I had never heard. Most of us were Irish or Scots so when I found out, as a college students (from my friends who lived in other states) that whole blocks were Irish Catholic, or Italian Catholic . . . and their families would not speak to the Presbyterian Scots b/c they were not Catholic and therefore damned to hell, Hee Hee - well, it was just all news to me! This simply did not occur in the South (for one thing, we had very few Catholics here so having a division b/n Catholics and Protestants - nonsensical and meaningless).

Let's face it. Here in the South, we have had to deal w/ our own situation w/ creating harmony and authenticity b/n blacks and whites. It has taken several generations for us all to come together and just see each other as "people," rather than as divided by race. The emphasis here has been on integration - and having goodwill to anyone who is "not like us." This is very misunderstood about the South.

Now, I will tell you, I do see something happening here that is going on all over the country - animosity to Mexicans b/c of illegal immigration. That worries me. I fear people are going to get lumped into a group b/c others assume anyone who is hispanic or latino is an illegal immigrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte