Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:35 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
As others have alluded to - I have often wondered if the real question people are wanting to ask is: "I have never been to the South, but I have heard ya'll are a bunch of racists down there and will run anyone out of town who is not a WASP. So can I move there and be comfortable or am I gonna find myself surrounded by guys in white sheets and kids who throw rocks at my child on the playground." That question really has nothing to do w/ diversity - it has to do with prejudice and stereotypes. But there is no PC way to say - "Are ya'll prejudiced against anyone who is not white and will I be treated badly b/c I am (fill in the blank - hispanic/latino/black/native American, etc)."
Ani, I read it smilar to this, but not to this extent. My hands are tied to fully explain, by location. although since the question is originatng in the north, it would only make sense, to me, to use northern examples to explain it. Oh well........

I don't think that they're asking about the folks with the sheets as much as what their choices are. The reality is that there are towns in the north that have majorities of one race or another, including in suburban areas. No one forced anyone to move to one suburb over the other, & if you are of a different race, no one will say that you can't move there.

Last edited by mm34b; 07-20-2008 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 10:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, I read it smilar to this, but not to this extent. My hands are tied to fully explain, by location. although since the question is originatng in the north, it would only make sense, to me, to use northern examples to explain it. Oh well........

I don't think that they're asking about the folks with the sheets as much as what their choices are. The reality is that there are towns in the north that have majorities of one race or another, including in suburban areas. No one forced anyone to move to one suburb over the other, & if you are of a different race, no one will say that you can't move there.
SouthBound - I always enjoy your perspective! Choices - that makes sense.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:53 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
SouthBound - I always enjoy your perspective! Choices - that makes sense.
Thanks, Ani. I'll be honest, I think that this could best be discussed on the History forum, because I think that there are regional differences based in history involved.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:54 AM

549 posts, read 1,740,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
When people move onto my street, one of the last things that I think about is their race.
Psychological research tells me that's unpossible. Seriously though, I understand the intent of your statement but it's just a fact that race is the first thing that people notice. The question isn't whether we notice race, we do, but whether we let it impact how we treat other people.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:21 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Psychological research tells me that's unpossible. Seriously though, I understand the intent of your statement but it's just a fact that race is the first thing that people notice. The question isn't whether we notice race, we do, but whether we let it impact how we treat other people.
I believe there's a difference between "notice" and "think about".

Old 07-20-2008, 12:29 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Psychological research tells me that's unpossible.
A certified psychologist would know the word was 'impossible'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I believe there's a difference between "notice" and "think about".
or really 'care about'...

Old 07-20-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
A certified psychologist would know the word was 'impossible'
I used a winkie behind "unpossible" because it was a reference to The Simpson's.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
I used a winkie behind "unpossible" because it was a reference to The Simpson's.
Ah, fair enough!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:37 PM

Ralph Wigam : "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Old 07-20-2008, 02:13 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Default Puertoricans in CLT

I don't know how to cut and paste from another thread but-
Post # 8 in subject title is interesting to this thread:
Puertoricana looking for New Yorkers OR Puertoricans says "Here in Gastonia there isn't enough DIVERSITY, you know what I mean?"

Well, I don't know what she means--honestly. What do you think she means and how do we invite her to this forum? This could be interesting.
je
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte