Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 01:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLK706 View Post
OK before we all start ganging up on people from the "north" as not being able to integrate their neighborhoods I have to pipe up!

I don't know if you consider me from the north but coming from DC I am very use to diversity and like Ani never even really thought about it AT ALL growing up or when I bought my first home. I lived in Arlington and Fairfax and they are both total melting pots.

I am really surprised to hear its segregated in places like LI or Boston?
Yep - that is one reason I am so at home in DC. There are people from all over the country, and indeed, the world. And as far as races - everyone is divided up according to where they can afford to live!!! Arlington, Fairfax - and add Alexandria to that . . . and Potomac area. People from all over - the United Nations. That is why I love it there and would be living somewhere around DC right now - if it were not so blamed expensive. Lots of energy and I do believe it is b/c of the melting pot phenomena. But that is also how I see Charlotte. There are people from all over living here! And for the most part, where they choose to live has everything to do w/ what they can afford and how long of a commute, etc. So it is just not something I have thought about in regard to CLT. I see all types of people around me and I am in S CLT. In fact, I bought this house from a family from Taiwan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Best thing for a couple of different races who do not want to be stare at or feel that they are not being talk about is to move to Charlotte proper or other metro area verses a rural area unless you can have a higher chin in dealing with it.

As stated above Charlotte is a real diverse city and when you get into some rural areas you are coming in to long time residents who are not that accepting of "change". I also think hitting areas where a younger generation lives mostly also helps due to the upbringing of the generation of those raise in 70's til now are different than the mindset set before that.

I would like to visit places like Little Rock, Huntsville, Birmingham etc and see if they also like Charlotte part of the New South
Look at people for who they are .

Old 07-17-2008, 01:33 PM

302 posts, read 961,371 times
Its not necessarily about race in NY its about the kind of people that make up the majority of that race in certain areas. Picture yourself in the upper middle class, a beautiful neighborhood, expensive well kept houses. and then two blocks over its very slum like, ie: run down houses, with unkept yards and druggies walking the street causing problems. Street gangs, drug dealers, and beat up corner stores with trashy ppl hanging out in front of it. This is what its like in some parts of NY, and it really wouldnt matter what the color of these ppls skin was, its just not something you want around your family when you worked so hard to have nice things and provide for your families. So its more about ppl who fit a bad stereotype, which makes you feel unsafe where u live, not to mention it drastically brings down the value of your home. I hope you all understand and dont think i'm being prejudice against a race.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1ennfa1th View Post
That makes sense and sounds great to have your your family all around you. This may be true in some rural towns and some not.

I can only go by the fact that I have done alot of road trips and traveling through some of southern states and it can get kind of awkward when my husband and I have to stop in little southern towns. A white woman and a black man with 3 little ones to change diapers, feed and stretch their legs. The looks and treatment definitely have to do with race.
I am sure you are right about rural areas. My black friends have told me the same thing. In fact, one of my friends left the South back in the 60s. . . his wife has tried to convince him to come see us but he says he is just not interested in leaving his comfort zone (they are in Kansas City). I go stay at their house but they won't come to Charlotte b/c of some bad experiences in the South in the past. I respect that but wish he would visit and see for himself that Charlotte is not a small-minded racist burg. However, I cannot vouch for the crossroad communities out in rural areas. Not being black, I just don't know firsthand, but I suspect there is still prejudice in areas - and not just to blacks - to anyone who is not white. However, I think that is true in many small towns across this country and not just here in the South.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Best thing for a couple of different races who do not want to be stare at or feel that they are not being talk about is to move to Charlotte proper or other metro area verses a rural area unless you can have a higher chin in dealing with it.

As stated above Charlotte is a real diverse city and when you get into some rural areas you are coming in to long time residents who are not that accepting of "change". I also think hitting areas where a younger generation lives mostly also helps due to the upbringing of the generation of those raise in 70's til now are different than the mindset set before that.

I would like to visit places like Little Rock, Huntsville, Birmingham etc and see if they also like Charlotte part of the New South
Look at people for who they are .
Well, I have been to Birmingham and it seems very much like CLT to me. Can't speak about H'ville and Little Rock. What I suspect is the bigger cities are at least 2 generations past integration and civil rights issues - so people just don't think about it - we are just all people - who cares - that is the attitude. But out in the rural areas - I think you have it right - "change" comes slower, new people are not as apt to move there . . . things are kind of static and people are less open to newcomers - of any race.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I have been to Birmingham and it seems very much like CLT to me. Can't speak about H'ville and Little Rock. What I suspect is the bigger cities are at least 2 generations past integration and civil rights issues - so people just don't think about it - we are just all people - who cares - that is the attitude. But out in the rural areas - I think you have it right - "change" comes slower, new people are not as apt to move there . . . things are kind of static and people are less open to newcomers - of any race.
This reminds me of when I drove in mountains in the 90's and I was only one with a foreign made car that wasnt american made car.
I knew from then on how people look at "change" in rural areas. I would get a bunch of stares that you would think I pulled up in a pop tart.

Charlotte is diverse in race as in the cars driven.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Charlotte is diverse in race as in the cars driven.
And we are diverse in what race cars are driven.

(I know, bad play on words but I couldn't help myself since it is my thread, Hee Hee).

Old 07-17-2008, 02:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
We have had several posts wanting to know about "diversity" in neighborhoods and threads w/ the question: "Is Charlotte diverse?"
I am perplexed by these posts and wonder what posters are really trying to determine?
We have white people and black people here, and those two groups make up the majority of races here. We also have cuban, mexican, south american, central american, asian, middle eastern, indonesian people who have chosen to make CLT their home. We also have native Americans . . . and Europeans, Scandinavians, Ukrainians . . .
I do not get the questions.
People choose neighborhoods based on such things as proximity to work, the schools, and the most important factor is - what a person can afford.
I always assumed that people lived where their buying power afforded them to live. So people who have family incomes of $50,000 can't typically afford to live in the same neighborhood as people w/ family incomes of $100,000 . .. and those w/ $250,000 and up salaries are typically going to buy in areas w/ much more expensive homes . . . and so forth.
So we all end up being in neighborhoods w/ people around us who have similar jobs, similar education . . . regardless of race (or sexual orientation, for that matter). I have not heard discussions about racial make up of neighborhoods since the 60s - until I started seeing these questions from newcomers.
I am perplexed!! Why would anyone care what ethnicity a potential neighbor might be? I don't get the discussion or the concern, and I am not trying to be disrespectful to those who have asked. I truly don't understand why anyone would even be wondering about this. ????
I don't understand what you don't understand, to be honest. Everyone has preferences. Some prefer to live in areas that are more "diverse" (more minorities), some prefer less diverse. There isn't much to "get," really.......kind of like asking "why do some people like strawberry ice cream more than vanilla??" They just do. Diff strokes and all. Neither is right or wrong.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
I don't understand what you don't understand, to be honest. Everyone has preferences. Some prefer to live in areas that are more "diverse" (more minorities), some prefer less diverse. There isn't much to "get," really.......kind of like asking "why do some people like strawberry ice cream more than vanilla??" They just do. Diff strokes and all. Neither is right or wrong.
Well, gosh. Who knew it was so simple. All it took was a simple ice cream analogy to straighten out my poor little brain, bless your heart.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:12 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
And we are diverse in what race cars are driven.

(I know, bad play on words but I couldn't help myself since it is my thread, Hee Hee).
Tony Stewart rules!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte