U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:07 PM

21,841 posts, read 27,096,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ROFL! Neat, Xcape!!!

Southbound: found you a vid clip about bats here in CLT:

Video (http://www.wsoctv.com/video/16899681/index.html - broken link)
Thanks, Ani!! Loved the video!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,301,263 times
Your thread title was misleading! Saw it, and wondered how you knew my MIL!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Really? We have them in our backyard every night! In fact, just last week one decided to sleep the day away on our front porch, upside down of course, he was very cute sleeping.

They aren't so cute when I wake up to one flying above my head in the dark at 2am! Read my thread on rabies shots......

Anyway, YES, there are plenty of bats around the more rural areas.

Dawn
Thanks Dawn! LOL, I have them every nght, too. It's fun to watch a bunch of them swooping around sort of dancnng through the air.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Your thread title was misleading! Saw it, and wondered how you knew my MIL!
Surprised ya, didn't I? My rainwater saved several plants, but I'm not looking to start wide-spread disease..

Old 07-17-2008, 11:32 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,004,087 times
Can you put a screen over the rain container??

We have bats around...and still plenty of mosquitoes too.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Can you put a screen over the rain container??

We have bats around...and still plenty of mosquitoes too.
Maybe mosquito netting?

My bats really take care of the mosquitos (I'm very near to a river & woods.) I have a neighbor who would have the county board of health here if he saw one mosquito.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 AM

4,091 posts, read 10,140,509 times
Oh man, camera arrived last night and I am totally intimidated! I am trying to learn a little bit every day. I have taken a few pics, but my night time shots aren't turning out very well......I need to figure that one out.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Take a picture Dawn!

Old 07-18-2008, 06:27 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I don't as if it's a reliable technique to keep your mosquito problem at bay. Mosquitoes are a given with standing water. Bats are a little more hit or miss (seems like you'd get them if you weren't wanting them...you may be the first person on earth to actually want them to take up home on your property!).

I would recommend just using mosquito pesticides as long as the water you're storing is solely for watering. If the bats take up home again, then great. If not, you still don't have a problem.
You can use what is called a bio-rational product to control mosquitoes in standing water - Bacillus thuringiensis mosquito dunks.

Or, maybe you can put up bat houses to attract more bats! The articles I've read about mosquito control suggest a combination of the two tactics, because you're never going to be able to control all the 'skeetos with the dunks. And bats are cool!

Baits, Traps, and Other Miscellany - GreenMethods.com

Old 07-18-2008, 07:02 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,969,221 times
I think it is a great idea to have a rainbarrel - and so would plan on using one when I got here. I would assume you won't have any problems attracting the bats as they are around. I have not seen a single bat but once since moving here to this part of CLT, but I have friends in more outlying, rural areas who do see them frequently.

You can monitor your rain water for mosquitoes and if bats are not helping out - you can use a treatment or figure out some way to cover/contain the water so it is not available for a mosquito breeding ground.

I keep bird baths and don't have to fill them often when we have had rain . . . and have never had a problem w/ mosquitoes. The birds love the baths and I guess they must eat the larvae if any are ever deposited. We do have some mosquitoes but b/n the spiders and birds - I have never had a big problem w/ them at all. I am going to notice more as to bats, b/c maybe we have some and I just have not noticed them.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think it is a great idea to have a rainbarrel - and so would plan on using one when I got here. I would assume you won't have any problems attracting the bats as they are around. I have not seen a single bat but once since moving here to this part of CLT, but I have friends in more outlying, rural areas who do see them frequently.

You can monitor your rain water for mosquitoes and if bats are not helping out - you can use a treatment or figure out some way to cover/contain the water so it is not available for a mosquito breeding ground.

I keep bird baths and don't have to fill them often when we have had rain . . . and have never had a problem w/ mosquitoes. The birds love the baths and I guess they must eat the larvae if any are ever deposited. We do have some mosquitoes but b/n the spiders and birds - I have never had a big problem w/ them at all. I am going to notice more as to bats, b/c maybe we have some and I just have not noticed them.
Ani, If I have time, at dusk I watch the birds returning to the trees to roost & then there's nothing in the sky for a few minutes.

Suddenly, the bats come swooping down from the trees. Usually, they go off on their hunt, but later in the summer, the younger ones clearly play for a while.

My neighborhood bats are little brown bats, although I once saw a red bat & on another occasion a hoary bat passed overhead. That experience showed me a possible source for the expression "like a bat out of hell" as a reference to speed.

NC Museum of Natural Sciences - Fun Stuff: FAQ Pages: Bats (http://www.naturalsciences.org/funstuff/faqs/bats.html#ncbats - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte