Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:34 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Because of the frequency of drought here, I've figured out a system to catch rainwater. Obviously, mosquito breeding enters into this. The local bats find the mosquitos to be fine dining, so there's no problem.

I will not be living in the city. In the more rural areas of the Charlotte metro area, is the bat population sufficient that I could continue this practice when I move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
I don't as if it's a reliable technique to keep your mosquito problem at bay. Mosquitoes are a given with standing water. Bats are a little more hit or miss (seems like you'd get them if you weren't wanting them...you may be the first person on earth to actually want them to take up home on your property!).

I would recommend just using mosquito pesticides as long as the water you're storing is solely for watering. If the bats take up home again, then great. If not, you still don't have a problem.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:58 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Unless you're asking for West Nile or Eastern Equine Encephalitis, I highly recommend you reconsider your mosquito paradise. Look into rain barrels instead--buy one for $100 or build it yourself: Rain Barrel by Aaron

Standing water is a serious issue and should not be taken lightly. In case you didn't know, here's some information to review:

Mosquito-borne diseases, infectious disease information, NCID, CDC

Old 07-17-2008, 02:25 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
I will have an answer in a minute..........

http://www.trapperjack.com/images/iamthenight-batman-bat-signal-cel.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-17-2008, 02:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I will have an answer in a minute..........

http://www.trapperjack.com/images/iamthenight-batman-bat-signal-cel.jpg (broken link)
ROFL! Neat, Xcape!!!

Southbound: found you a vid clip about bats here in CLT:

Video (http://www.wsoctv.com/video/16899681/index.html - broken link)

Old 07-17-2008, 02:38 PM

Chimney Swifts are often mistaken for bats in our area: ChimneySwifts.org Home Page

You'll likely see a million of these before you ever see a bat. I've only seen a couple in my lifetime here.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:41 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Really? We have them in our backyard every night! In fact, just last week one decided to sleep the day away on our front porch, upside down of course, he was very cute sleeping.

They aren't so cute when I wake up to one flying above my head in the dark at 2am! Read my thread on rabies shots......

Anyway, YES, there are plenty of bats around the more rural areas.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Chimney Swifts are often mistaken for bats in our area: ChimneySwifts.org Home Page

You'll likely see a million of these before you ever see a bat. I've only seen a couple in my lifetime here.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Really? We have them in our backyard every night! In fact, just last week one decided to sleep the day away on our front porch, upside down of course, he was very cute sleeping.

They aren't so cute when I wake up to one flying above my head in the dark at 2am! Read my thread on rabies shots......

Anyway, YES, there are plenty of bats around the more rural areas.

Dawn
Yeah, the only times have been in Weddington probably about 15 years ago while in my neighbor's pool across the street at night. The bat(s) were fond of swooping down. We also on occasion would have one dancing in the street light in the backyard.

But other than that, I don't recall.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:56 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Take a picture Dawn!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:58 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post

Thanks, Carolina That's interesting.

Honestly, I am aware of the diseases. That's why I asked about the bats.

I have little brown bats in my back yard every evening & no mosquitos at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte