U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM

20 posts, read 61,811 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm considering relocating to Charlotte and I've been researching jobs in the area of public health but I haven't been quite successful. I've come across only a few places--the United Way, the Department of Health etc. I'm currently a program evaluator and work in the areas of HIV, Hepatitis C and Cervical Cancer. Since evaluation skills/knowledge can be transferred to other topical areas, I'm willing to other consider areas such as child welfare, education, etc. I know that the Triangle area is the mecca of public health in NC and to be honest I haven't really contemplated moving to that area. With that being said I would love some feedback as to agencies that I can explore in Charlotte for public health jobs. I have a Masters in Public Health and as mentioned above I'm interested in evaluation positions as well as program management/administrative positions. I'm willing to consider any sector--non-profits, academic institutions, government agencies, hospital and any other social service agencies.
Thank you so much.
Camran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 12:16 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,685,059 times
Hi,

I work with infectious diseases for the state laboratory, but am housed in the Mecklenburg County Health Department. Check this link out for jobs in the county: Mecklenburg County HR (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Human+Resources+County/Home.htm - broken link)

You should try looking into HDs in surrounding counties as well that will keep you in close proximity to Charlotte: Cabarrus, Gaston, Iredell, Union, York (SC), Stanley, Lincoln, and Rowan.

To consider state jobs, check out: Job Seekers

Of course, don't forget to check DSS in each of these counties.

Hospitals to consider are Presbyterian and Carolinas Medical Center (Carolinas Healthcare System).

You may want to consider looking up HR managers in each of these agencies and contact them directly with cover letter and resume. They may have information about positions before they are actually posted. This may pay off additionally by them recognizing your application package when it hits their desk for a job you will have applied for.

Lastly, an excellent job search engine that pools from all engines (like Monster, Careerbuilder, etc. and even government agencies) is http://www.indeed.com/ You can even set up an RSS feed for your preferences.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:36 PM

Something else to help you think outside the box. This was just sent about a new program that you could work in:

Quote:
HEALTH DEPARTMENT: NEW CLINIC TO PROVIDE FOR RESIDENTS’ DOMESTIC AND FOREIGN TRAVEL NEEDS

Charlotte, NC – Beginning Friday, July 18, the Mecklenburg County Health Department will begin offering County residents a new alternative as they prepare to travel abroad and in the United States.

The “trav MECK” Foreign Travel Clinic is equipped to provide a number of key services for the tourist or businessperson, including pre-travel advice and travel related medications.

Important travel immunizations are also available and include but are not limited to:

· Yellow Fever

· Typhoid

· Hepatitis A & B

· Tetanus

· Meningococcal

Travel can be a lot of fun and a great way to increase one’s appreciation of our world, but there can be risks associated with travel in many areas.

The trav MECK nurses will provide the traveler critical public health information so they may travel with the confidence that they are as protected as possible.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:38 PM

This job also: Job Bulletin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte