U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:32 PM

302 posts, read 633,269 times

Advertisements

my fiance is an RN here on LI NY. Shes only been working for 1 yr and starting salary is about 65k, is pay in charlotte comparable??

Also i'm a Financial Analyst for a large company and starting salary was about 45k, and now 53k with 1.5yrs experience. If anyone works in these fields or know about salaries please let me know.

I dont trust what salary.com says. They estimate about 10% less in Charlotte, but i thinks thats off a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 12:43 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,952,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
my fiance is an RN here on LI NY. Shes only been working for 1 yr and starting salary is about 65k, is pay in charlotte comparable??

Also i'm a Financial Analyst for a large company and starting salary was about 45k, and now 53k with 1.5yrs experience. If anyone works in these fields or know about salaries please let me know.

I dont trust what salary.com says. They estimate about 10% less in Charlotte, but i thinks thats off a little.
Virtually no chance she'll see 65k.yr here. I believe the range at most places is $22-28/hr. Bear in mind that your dollar will go much further here than it does there though.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:48 PM

4,621 posts, read 5,175,560 times
I think (although I could be wrong) that, in general, salaries down here will typically be less than what they were for a similar type of job / position in the NorthEast (but there is also a lower cost of living here which balances that out).

My guess would be that, in relocating from the NorthEast, maintaining the same salary level is really only going to happen if:

a) You take a job down here and, in negotiations, are able command an equal or higher salary than at your previous job
b) You work remotely for a company and, hence, your choice of a new location will not affect your current salary

Old 07-17-2008, 02:01 PM

8 posts, read 38,169 times
I haven't seen anyone list specific amounts of pay on this site, but I think that we are all here for some real answers, so I hope I dont make anyone mad but, I called the two major hospitals in the area and they said that the RN starts out at 20.11 to 21.00 per hour. I told them I have 9 months experience as an RN and that is what they quoted me and I dont know what 3 more months of experience will get. I asked about sign on bonuses or relocating assistance and they said they do not offer it. They are very open about their pay scale so if you want more info just call. I am sure she will be shocked about the pay decrease as I was. With how much it costs just to go to school to become an RN, you kinda expect the pay to be a little better, but oh well. Take care and good luck to you and your wife.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:02 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,492,368 times
You might want to look into traveling positions--they can be VERY lucrative. For instance, a best friend of mine has been doing it for over a year with 13 week contracts at a time. She makes about $25 per hour AND she gets NON-TAXED housing stipends of $1800 per month. She also gets free health insurance.

So, a 40 hour work week gives her $52,000 per year. $1,800 x 12 = $21,600.

Take 30% out of $52k for taxes = $36,400

$36,400 + $21,600 = $58,000

If you add PRN shifts to the mix, this income would be even greater! And now that I think about it, RNs only work 36 hour work weeks, so anything after that would be OT. So adjust the numbers accordingly.

Compare $58,000 net salary to a $65,000 gross salary:

70% of $65,000 = $45,500

So, at the end of the day she could be making $58,000 versus $45,500, which more down here than what she's doing up north. You do the math.

Seriously, there are all kinds of traveling positions and she would never have to leave the area. In fact, it's possible for her to travel up and down floors within the SAME hospital.

My wife is doing this now as a traveling SLP. She makes more in her non taxed stipends than she does in her taxed income. She's pretty much making 40% this route than she would if she went into a permanent position. That said, it's very possible to renew the 13 week contracts over and over for the same company in the same facility.

Make sense?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 PM

624 posts, read 1,313,721 times
Also be sure to ask about any shift bonuses. Not sure what RN's make down here, but I know that RN's in the Lehigh Valley, PA made about 21.50 to start and made 40 cents more an hour on the evening shift, and 80 cents more for the night shift.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Also be sure to ask about any shift bonuses. Not sure what RN's make down here, but I know that RN's in the Lehigh Valley, PA made about 21.50 to start and made 40 cents more an hour on the evening shift, and 80 cents more for the night shift.
Yikes! 40-80 cents?? Yowsers! It's more like $5 extra on nights and another $5-10 on the weekends down here for permanent positions.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:40 PM

Wow! thanx for all the info, and where could we get more info on the traveling nurse gig?? Can a young married couple with no kids live in a nice area, say huntersville in a 225k house on a combined 90k-100k /yr, comfortably??

Old 07-17-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
Wow! thanx for all the info, and where could we get more info on the traveling nurse gig?? Can a young married couple with no kids live in a nice area, say huntersville in a 225k house on a combined 90k-100k /yr, comfortably??
Well that would depend on the amount of debt you have.

We have been happy on less income in the past, no kids, with debt, same price point, and in Cornelius.

If you have a "normal" financial situation, then you'd be quite happy and very comfortable in that price range with that income.

Check this out: All Travel Nurse Jobs in Charlotte, NC | Indeed.com

Have fun with that website!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:57 PM

Great thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte