U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 24,070 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a new transfer student at UNCC. I am 22/male and only have one year left before I graduate. I am looking for one bedroom apartments near UNCC. I have heard that I need to be careful around that area. I was looking at complexes around Mallard Creek Church Rd, WT Harris Blvd, and NC 49 near Harrisburg. Are these decent areas? They looked nice to me but you never know I guess. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 12:37 PM

187 posts, read 597,900 times
UNCC Colville Condos Apartment Rentals Dorm - Charlotte University

Look around, I love the area, i'm actually moving to the area next week.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:12 PM

510 posts, read 1,840,008 times
Yes, it's a good area. You'll find many college students at most of the apartments within a 5 mile radius of the college. We've lived here 10 years and we feel very safe and comfortable here, we are now off Prosperity Church Road. You have to be aware of your surroundings and take precautions but it's a great area. There are at least 3 complexes on Hwy 29, 1 just north and 2 just south of the intersection with Mallard Creek Church. Two of them just across the street from the new UNCC buildings on 29, across from Kohls Shopping Center. Harrisburg is also a good area. I think you'll find what your looking for and enjoy what this area has to offer. Good Luck.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:53 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,013 times
The area of more concern is east of 85, by staying west of 85 and north of Harris you will be in a better area. A little more expensive and a few less students (more families) but safer. And your in between 4 main entertainment areas, Northlake Mall off 77 and Harris, Concord Mills of 85 and Speedway, Birkdale village in Huntersville and less than 20 minutes from uptown.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 24,070 times
Thanks for your replies. Does anyone happen to know if it is possible to get a 1 bedroom or studio apartment in those areas for $400-500 a month? Less than that would be awesome but I doubt I will find anything decent for less than $400. Thanks again.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,013 times
Never seen it in a reasonable area. You are better off being a roommate for $400 a month. Most of the decent ones are $700+.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:15 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,303,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
The area of more concern is east of 85, by staying west of 85 and north of Harris you will be in a better area. A little more expensive and a few less students (more families) but safer. And your in between 4 main entertainment areas, Northlake Mall off 77 and Harris, Concord Mills of 85 and Speedway, Birkdale village in Huntersville and less than 20 minutes from uptown.
There aren't many apartment complexes west of 85 and north of Tryon. This is a very helpful tool in determining what is an "acceptable" level of crime. It acually breaks it down by type of crime.
http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cmpdnet/quicksearch.aspx (broken link)

Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuncc08 View Post
Thanks for your replies. Does anyone happen to know if it is possible to get a 1 bedroom or studio apartment in those areas for $400-500 a month? Less than that would be awesome but I doubt I will find anything decent for less than $400. Thanks again.
You probably will want to get in a roommate situation at that price. Check Campus Edge and University Walk I think which are across 49 from the campus. They have separate leases for 3 or 4 bedroom places and set you up with roommates.

If you're a college kid, you will be OK. Just don't keep anything valuable in your car because breakins are pretty common. Otherwise, just use common sense in the area.

If you absolutely have to have your own place, check out Walden Court on 29 across from the research campus. (behind Bloom) I think they have 1 BDs for around 600.

I would say you could stretch that "safe" boundary to Harris west of University City Blvd. and Tryon north of where the new IKEAs going up near the 29-49 split. Anything south of there is sketchy.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:31 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
There aren't many apartment complexes west of 85 and north of Tryon. This is a very helpful tool in determining what is an "acceptable" level of crime. It acually breaks it down by type of crime.
http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cmpdnet/quicksearch.aspx (broken link)
There are tons of complexes on W. Harris, but that area's traffic is a zoo.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 15,843 times
is University Terrace North a good apartment complex? or what about the Edge which is across the street from University Terrace North
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte