U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:24 PM

62 posts, read 191,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Ill wave back to you too and smile.
It'll be easy to spot you. You'll be the only one waving and smiling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 03:46 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,065,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilbert View Post
BTW, just go out onto Lake Norman on Saturday or Sunday. If you know anything about boating "rules of the road", you'll find many who have not got a clue. When you try to educate them (for everyones' safety), you'll see how "friendly" they can be with a single finger salute. Truly amazing.
And you know these people are Southern because . . . ?????

Old 07-17-2008, 03:55 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,910,383 times
Yes, Ani, almost everyone here is polite, nice and friendly. Even the transplants (me included!) have a better attitude here.

I moved here from Baltimore City, believe me, NOBODY so much as smiled at you there unless they had been introduced! Gimme the friendly, polite attitude here rather than the rude, "me first" way of doing business that seems to be so common in other US big cities!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:01 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,065,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Yes, Ani, almost everyone here is polite, nice and friendly. Even the transplants (me included!) have a better attitude here.

I moved here from Baltimore City, believe me, NOBODY so much as smiled at you there unless they had been introduced! Gimme the friendly, polite attitude here rather than the rude, "me first" way of doing business that seems to be so common in other US big cities!!!
I am glad you feel that way. I am friendly. I bet you are friendly by nature, as well . . . and you are gonna get a warm response from people, especially here. My DH was so surprised at how personable people are here . . . not that midwesterners are rude . . . but basically - they do not greet each other if they don't know one another, LOL. He loves it now.

He was sitting on a bench outside a restaurant in Boone about 15 years ago, and he told me later that he felt like the Mayor of Boone - cause everyone came by and told him "How ya doin?" and "Howdy" and "Hello there." He said he felt like a celebrity, and no one knew him at all. Hee Hee Hee.

That is the South I am loathe to lose, so thank you, thank you, for passing on the smiles and greetings and friendly parking lot HELLOs!!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 PM

457 posts, read 1,227,150 times
Besides the awesome weather, I love how friendly and warm people are here...I grew up in NJ, and moved to CLT last October, it's amazing how helpful people are, the customer service here, 99.0% of the time, will go the extra mile to help you. I was always drawn to NC because of this, I grew up in the city up north, and many of my friends called me the Mayor of PSE&G, my former employer, I would say hi to anyone, I guess after 32 years with one company you get to know lots of people. Anyway, I'm just glad to be here, with all you nice people....

Old 07-17-2008, 09:40 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,769,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I realize part of the problem is "ME" because I am so happy to be here so I am very nice to everyone I see and people tend to treat you the way you treat them, and I certainly knew very nice people in New Jersey, but around here they just seem to take it to the next level.

I have been waiting at the left turn signal with 2 cars in front of me and the left turn signal turns green and the first person in line obviously isn't paying attention and just sits there.... and sits there.... and nobody honks their horn!! I start screaming and yelling in my car (windows rolled up) because, hey, after all, I AM from New Joyzee... the first guy in line finally wakes up, makes his turn, and the rest of us remain stuck at the signal!!! But nobody honks!!! Sheesh!

ok, a better example.. We are hanging a chandelier, and I need a ceiling brace to fit the large non standard size piece that was used to attach our chandelier to the ceiling. So I go to Lowes, and the guy is very helpful and nice, but they just don't have what I need. So I head on down to a large fancy lighting store and a saleswoman greets me very nicely but when I tell her what I need she replies they don't sell any hardware... but wait, let's check in the back and see what they say. So she takes me to the back, where a young lamp technician looks at the part I have brought and fishes around in his parts bin for about 10 minutes bringing out parts of all types and sizes so that my electrician would be able to cobble them together and make it fit (which he did). I was a bit overwhelmed at how nice and helpful this young guy was.

But seriously, EVERYONE is nice. In New Jersey, with the right attitude and a sunny day it might get to 75% niceness.... but here it is 99.9% all the time!

Oh, and even the New York transplants are nice, so either it rubs off on everyone or only the nice folks from NY are allowed to move here.
That is what ive been saying...lol...as we are from Jersey as well....I also think its because we love it here so much....

Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,846,323 times
If you think it is nice here now, you should have lived here years ago. Most Southerners think it is far less friendly now.

One of the posters mentioned trying to educate the boaters. We like people who mind their own business when they think we are doing it wrong.

About the horn blowing, a little NC trick is to get out of the car and check all of their tires if someone blows a horn at them and then pull off just as the light changes. LOL Because surely no one is so rude as to blow a horn telling you to get out of their way.

Hope you like it here and that one forefinger held up in the air from the steering wheel is called the Union County salute around here. It may be the Charlotte salute in Charlotte.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:57 PM

5,559 posts, read 6,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
Besides the awesome weather, I love how friendly and warm people are here...I grew up in NJ, and moved to CLT last October, it's amazing how helpful people are, the customer service here, 99.0% of the time, will go the extra mile to help you. I was always drawn to NC because of this, I grew up in the city up north, and many of my friends called me the Mayor of PSE&G, my former employer, I would say hi to anyone, I guess after 32 years with one company you get to know lots of people. Anyway, I'm just glad to be here, with all you nice people....
uncgdad - I'm glad to be here because when I open my bill from the City of Monroe which includes my gas, electric, water, sewer and garbage pickup, I notice that the gas and electric rates are much cheaper than PSE&G's.

But in your favor, I must report that everyone that I came in contact with, from your former employer was a genuinely "nice" person!

Maybe the secret is in the water! I read a few months back that many municipal water supplies are contaminated with pharmaceuticals. Maybe the Charlotte area has a higher level of Valium and Paxil in their water systems!

Old 07-18-2008, 05:07 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,458,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
If you pass me on a two lane road I will wave to you unless I am occupied with something else.
I will be the one waving back! I enjoy people. We moved here from CA and you didn't wave or look into anyones eyes you didn't know or it would/could be taken as "aggression". Yes, there are friendly people everywhere but nothing like we have found here. It took my poor husband months to figure out why everyone waved or just started talking to him. He owned a business in CA and was use to things needing to be done yesterday! Hurry, hurry and more hurry. Talking to strangers was just not done. At first he was impatient with the people who worked in the local stores and acted just like a typical Califorian....ah, but finally he started to relax and appreciate how life is here. Now he waves just as I do and talks to the strangers. He understands the people who work in the stores here--no hurry but so willing to give you a hand. Life is good. People are good. We are happy!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 07:01 AM

302 posts, read 864,316 times
Less stress + better quality of life + less a******s around you = nice people. and i agree with the comment on a nice sunny day in NY(where im from) maybe 75% niceness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte