U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 AM

925 posts, read 1,860,873 times

Advertisements

Where is it and what are the dates of closing and times? How do we find out what the story for the family is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 08:49 AM

905 posts, read 3,069,727 times
I was not accepted as a volunteer either. My availability was very limited which I suspect is the reason. Guess I will have to watch on TV!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM

823 posts, read 2,545,853 times
Charlotte Observer | 07/28/2008 | Windsor Park family <br>to get 'Makeover' (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/731362.html - broken link)

4200 block of Sudbury Road.

The article states that the home is used for a day care facility. This is really great that they want to take care of children. On the other hand the home has a mold problem. The mold's not an issue anymore or won't be but it makes me wonder how an unsafe home gets to be a daycare. I say unsafe because the article also says the daughter has asthma attacks.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM

70 posts, read 122,576 times
There's now an article on The Charlotte Observer website about the family selected:

Charlotte Observer | 07/28/2008 | Windsor Park family <br>to get 'Makeover' (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/731362.html - broken link)

Old 07-28-2008, 10:59 AM

228 posts, read 842,982 times
Two things...
First, I wasn't accepted either :-(

Second, the Family is the King family on Sudsbury Lane in East Charlotte. The mother was a single mother at 15 and her son has bad asthma issues but they do not have central air and black mold is all through the house. She eventually married and now there are three kids in the house. Her and her husband run a daycare out of their house at low prices to help young single moms who are struggling. The house is now 1800 sq feet and will be doubling in size. It will be taking 3/4 days to complete the home. There were 5 finalists in the running in the Charlotte area and this family was the lucky chosen one!

(i just got all that info from the news at noon! :-D they will be having a longer story either the evening or night news cast I believe)

Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 10,552 times
For those of you who were rejected and really want to work. I was told that you can show up and offer to help and they will have you wait in the waiting area and let you know if they can use you. No guarantee but if you are going to hang out and watch might as well offer to help and may get lucky. Best of luck

Old 07-28-2008, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 10,552 times
to keep up to date and see photos visit Extreme Makeover: Home Edition - Charlotte

Old 07-28-2008, 04:59 PM

7,186 posts, read 11,237,060 times
I got my "thanks, but no thanks" e-mail the other day as well. My DS and I even put in for the midnight shifts on the closing weekend. Oh well, we tried. We'll just have to be sure to find an upcoming Habitat build we can participate in.

(Maybe a City Data work crew can be assembled to do that???)

Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,302 times
http://www.wsoctv.com/ExtremeMakeoverCharlotte/index.html (broken link)

On this page, Rick Merlini is quoted as saying that Charlotte is the home of second chances. Do you know why he says that?

Because he can't go back home to Detroit and build again.

Merlini has sold many homes in the metro Detroit area, but now has left many homeowners with homes and developments that are left unfinished. New homes are falling apart, and warranty claims are nowhere to be sent, because Mr. Merlini has completely abandoned those who bought into his claims of a commitment to quality, service, and community.

Mr. Merlini is good at putting up a good front. He's good at looking good in front of the camera. What he's not so good at is following through in his commitments. There are numerous unsatisfied owners throughout the Detroit area that are stuck in bad houses due to his decision to tuck tail and run south to Charlotte. Lawsuits are in process at this time.

Is this really the type of person that you want to be promoting as a good citizen? I have trouble believing that.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:57 PM

17 posts, read 48,256 times
I have been out to the site for the past two days just sightseeing. It is pretty neat how smooth the operation is and how quickly everything gets done. The people involved with putting the show together are very neat people. I got to talk to the director today and he is a great guy.

I volunteered too and I offered any and all shifts. Was still turned down. My husband and I really enjoy doing the Habitat homes. We have done it since our move here. It is a great way to learn the building process all while giving back to the community.

Where exactly do you have to go to be on "standby" for a volunteer? Anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte