U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:34 PM

422 posts, read 839,424 times
Where is the site????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 01:40 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,352,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
Where is the site????
The Home

Quote:
The Home

The King Family home is located at 4214 Sudbury Road Charlotte, NC 28205

***Please keep in mind that the streets around the site will be closed to traffic as of Wednesday, July 30th. Site visitors are asked to take the CATS bus, Route 232, Grier Heights, which leaves Eastland Mall Community Transit Center, 5411 Central Avenue, every 15-30 minutes. The cost is $ .60 one way, $1.20 round trip. CATS accepts exact change only.***

Old 07-31-2008, 02:36 PM

371 posts, read 668,258 times
my shift is tomorrow. i cannot wait! i'll have to let everyone know how it went when i get back.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:22 PM

422 posts, read 839,424 times
what day do you think they are going to bring back the family and do "BUS DRIVER! MOVE THAT BUS!!!" I want to go!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 PM

688 posts, read 1,065,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
what day do you think they are going to bring back the family and do "BUS DRIVER! MOVE THAT BUS!!!" I want to go!
The schedule on that website says Monday August 4 at 1:00 Move That Bus

Old 08-02-2008, 09:13 AM

371 posts, read 668,258 times
I'm finally covering from my noon-6pm shift yesterday. It was unbelieveably hot on the job site. I have never seen so many workers in one place in my life. Us "random" volunteers mostly helped with job site clean-up and handing out water and snacks. We're headed back out there tomorrow to see how far the house has progressed.

Any one that has bottled water connections, they are desperate for donations. We couldn't get the water on ice before it was gone.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 AM

4,227 posts, read 3,971,864 times
Cool Extreme makeover

Again, Charlotte makes the news. Exteme Makeover is making over a house in Charlotte which prompts me to ask a few questions. First, the owner was running a child care center in her non-airconditioned garage. How did she get a permit to do so? Secondly, the previous house was 1900 square feet. Now it is 5,100 square feet which barely fits on the lot. Who is going to pay the electricity on this monstrocity? Tax payers? Lastly, $75,000 of furniture is being donated. How much of that furniture will have to be sold on the streets to pay the bills? It all seems pretty idiotic to me. The family consists of parents, one kid 19 and two younger kids. So, why 5,100 feet? Guess that is why they call Hollywood, Hollyweird?

Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 AM

35,346 posts, read 42,242,394 times
We had some other threads on the family and house. It appears they were chosen b/c they offer FREE homecare, so I seriously doubt they are a registered child care facility. Again, I don't know that - I am just speculating.

As for $75,000 worth of furniture . . . well . . . seems a bit over the top but it is free advertising for the sponsors, I guess. I would personally rather have $25,000 of furniture given to me and $50,000 put in a trust fund to educate my children.

It is not just the utility bills that concern me w/ the home . . . it is the increased tax assessment that will inevitably follow - and that continues forever. Plus, I don't think the house matches up w/ other homes in the neighborhood, so it is significantly over-built.

I suspect what will end up happening here is that a family that was providing a totally philanthropic service to the community may very well end up having to charge to have a licensed daycare from here out . . . so they can increase the cash flow to pay for the larger space they have been given. Now, that would be pretty ironic.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:50 AM

645 posts, read 1,430,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Again, Charlotte makes the news. Exteme Makeover is making over a house in Charlotte which prompts me to ask a few questions. First, the owner was running a child care center in her non-airconditioned garage. How did she get a permit to do so? Secondly, the previous house was 1900 square feet. Now it is 5,100 square feet which barely fits on the lot. Who is going to pay the electricity on this monstrocity? Tax payers? Lastly, $75,000 of furniture is being donated. How much of that furniture will have to be sold on the streets to pay the bills? It all seems pretty idiotic to me. The family consists of parents, one kid 19 and two younger kids. So, why 5,100 feet? Guess that is why they call Hollywood, Hollyweird?
Bitter?

Maybe some of that 5000sf will be used for the day care...ya think? The owners, not the city, pay the bills. Extreme Makeover gives the families money to cover utility bills for like 25 years.

Who said the day care didn't have A/C? I can look up a picture of the home and I can clearly see an A/C window until in the garage. Probably doesn't have central air in there but it was a converted garage.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:50 AM

10,279 posts, read 10,984,182 times
I see foreclosure in the future...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte