U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:52 AM

777 posts, read 2,277,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We had some other threads on the family and house. It appears they were chosen b/c they offer FREE homecare, so I seriously doubt they are a registered child care facility. Again, I don't know that - I am just speculating.

I suspect what will end up happening here is that a family that was providing a totally philanthropic service to the community may very well end up having to charge to have a licensed daycare from here out . . . so they can increase the cash flow to pay for the larger space they have been given. Now, that would be pretty ironic.
They are a licensed day care and by the way...a four star day care at that!

NC Div of Child Development- Searching Resources in Child Care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
They are a licensed day care and by the way...a four star day care at that.

NC Div of Child Development- Searching Resources in Child Care
Well, my assumption was entirely off-base, then! Thank you for providing the info, InSouthPark!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I see foreclosure in the future...
I hope not. It appears these are really kind people who have been trying to do something that really matters for their community.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:04 AM

14,123 posts, read 20,898,223 times
I hope not either but going from 1500 to 5100 sq ft is going to seriously add financial burdens. Hopefully they will be smart and keep everything afloat.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 AM

371 posts, read 987,986 times
Like a momma cat....my hackles just stood up on my neck like my grandma used to say.

Please do your research before commenting/judging on someone else's situation. They did run a mostly free daycare out of their home (it was air-conditioned)-and it was a state-inspected day care (the details are in a prior post).

I signed up to be a volunteer on the company's website. I have no affiliation with the builder or ABC. I worked a shift on Friday and then went back yesterday with a charitable organization I work with as a guest yesterday. Yes, the house is much bigger than others on the street, but it lines up with the rest of the homes and takes up more of the back yard. The bottom right half of the house is a daycare and clothing exchange facility for the neighborhood (both programs the owner previously ran out of the home).

Do the owners really "need" all of the things that were donated....probably not. But I also don't "need" half of the crap I have in my house either. Friday was a "nuts and bolts" kind of day, so I got to see first hand a lot of the stuff being integrated into the home. The builders (and they were there sweating away with everyone else) made sure to include features that would help make the home as economical as possible. They installed a rain-fed irrigation system while I was there and HVAC units that would assist in keeping the home healthy for one of the children with severe asthma.

The biggest thing I took away from the experience is what people can accomplish while working together. One of the construction workers commented during a break that (i'm paraphrasing)....."the neat thing is that with everyone in blue shirts and working side by side, you have no idea who they are or where they came from.....and you dont' care, you're just working towards a common goal". Think what you may of the show and who they pick (andyes, i admit the hollywood factor does have to be taken into accoung)....but this is a family that worked with what they had, and gave back to others as much as they could. We could learn a lot from them and the volunteers that donated their time, goods, and services on a very hot August week in Charlotte.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:39 AM

UNCGIRL - what a great report of how things have proceeded!!! I hope the family will enjoy their new home and will be able to continue the work they have been doing for their community. Sounds like the contractors have done things to make the house as energy efficient as possible. I think it is wonderful that people who have tried to help others as this family has done are rewarded for their efforts. They obviously never expected anything in return. It is a heart-warming story.

Thanks for giving us an "insider's" perspective on both the family and the project.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgirl98 View Post
Like a momma cat....my hackles just stood up on my neck like my grandma used to say.

Please do your research before commenting/judging on someone else's situation. They did run a mostly free daycare out of their home (it was air-conditioned)-and it was a state-inspected day care (the details are in a prior post).

I signed up to be a volunteer on the company's website. I have no affiliation with the builder or ABC. I worked a shift on Friday and then went back yesterday with a charitable organization I work with as a guest yesterday. Yes, the house is much bigger than others on the street, but it lines up with the rest of the homes and takes up more of the back yard. The bottom right half of the house is a daycare and clothing exchange facility for the neighborhood (both programs the owner previously ran out of the home).

Do the owners really "need" all of the things that were donated....probably not. But I also don't "need" half of the crap I have in my house either. Friday was a "nuts and bolts" kind of day, so I got to see first hand a lot of the stuff being integrated into the home. The builders (and they were there sweating away with everyone else) made sure to include features that would help make the home as economical as possible. They installed a rain-fed irrigation system while I was there and HVAC units that would assist in keeping the home healthy for one of the children with severe asthma.

The biggest thing I took away from the experience is what people can accomplish while working together. One of the construction workers commented during a break that (i'm paraphrasing)....."the neat thing is that with everyone in blue shirts and working side by side, you have no idea who they are or where they came from.....and you dont' care, you're just working towards a common goal". Think what you may of the show and who they pick (andyes, i admit the hollywood factor does have to be taken into accoung)....but this is a family that worked with what they had, and gave back to others as much as they could. We could learn a lot from them and the volunteers that donated their time, goods, and services on a very hot August week in Charlotte.
My company had volunteers (w/the blue shirts) pitch in on Saturday night....they said it was an amazing experience..

I would hope this family at least seeks out some type of financial advice since their largest asset has changed big time....

I do also hope it works out for them since they are providing a valuable service for underpriveledged people.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,794,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgirl98 View Post

Beautifullt stated!!! Two thumbs up!!

Best of luck to a most deserving family!!

BxRosie

Old 08-13-2008, 05:26 AM

823 posts, read 2,545,323 times
Default Maybe the Extreme Makover thing isn't so great after all?

Some neighbors are irritated by the way ABC conducted itself and the size of the house.

I guess I'm not surprised about this. I know I wouldn't want to live in the house next to the biggest house in the neighborhood.

'Extreme Makeover' irritates some neighbors | www.charlotteobserver.com

Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Some neighbors are irritated by the way ABC conducted itself and the size of the house.

I guess I'm not surprised about this. I know I wouldn't want to live in the house next to the biggest house in the neighborhood.

'Extreme Makeover' irritates some neighbors | www.charlotteobserver.com
Well, it is called "extreme" makeover, LOL. They do tend to go "over the top" and build stuff that overpowers everything else in the neighborhood.

Things will settle down in a few months and no one will think about it anymore, I suspect. I don't blame neighbors for being aggravated about crew taking over their yards and people trampling stuff. But it will all be just a memory soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte