Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcp5150 View Post
This show will be mainly teenagers and there parents. I dont see a problem taking your 12 and 13 year olds. Get there a little early and you can try to get a position upstairs overlooking the crowd and stage. You will be a little distance from the bar. THis is a great club to see a show. I say take them and be a cool mom.
Spoken like someone who is probably not yet a parent

Last edited by lovesMountains; 07-18-2008 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 01:53 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
This show will be mainly teenagers and there parents. I dont see a problem taking your 12 and 13 year olds. Get there a little early and you can try to get a position upstairs overlooking the crowd and stage. You will be a little distance from the bar. THis is a great club to see a show. I say take them and be a cool mom.
This post is very subjective--how do YOU know it will be "mainly teenagers and their parents"?

There is a large bar upstairs as well, so if you call 15-20 ft. a little distance, then ok.

And to the OP, not sure where you're from and what you're accustomed to, but most bars down here are smoking, including Amos. And if you're on second floor, well, smoke rises.

There is also a difference between being a "cool mom" and a responsible one, but to each his own.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 PM

27 posts, read 120,297 times
All ages shows still serve alcohol...I have been to many...No offense Carolina blue but Amos is a music venue. A bar is always open, Amos is only open for shows. This show will be tame. I saw a all ages show there a few months back and It felt like a middle school social, complete with tons of chaperones (parents).

Old 07-18-2008, 02:01 PM

27 posts, read 120,297 times
Loves Mountains - - - I am a parent of two great kids who also love music. I am a responsible parent also. OP there is no right answer. But if it was me I would take my kids. Might also be a great time to discuss other things, like drinking and smoking. Im just glad to see that you even consider this. good luck

Old 07-18-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
All I can add is, my kids turned out to be two very responsible young adults by me NOT being the cool parent.

It is my opinion that 12 and 13 year olds do not need to be partying where others are also partying and consuming alcohol. But again, others are entitled to their own opinions. Oh, and one of my kids IS a musician (who happens to play frequently at Tremont).

Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
All ages shows still serve alcohol...I have been to many...No offense Carolina blue but Amos is a music venue. A bar is always open, Amos is only open for shows. This show will be tame. I saw a all ages show there a few months back and It felt like a middle school social, complete with tons of chaperones (parents).
Looks like we both said the same thing here. That Amos “is†a concert venue, that also sells alcohol, just like other places that have concerts (like bobcats arena), as opposed to it being just a bar/club. But you did clarify the issue of rather they serve alcohol during all ages shows, which is good because you’ve been able to give the OP firs hand knowledge of what to expect.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:03 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Yet...somehow...it does not invalidate their opinion one bit.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
It is my opinion that 12 and 13 year olds do not need to be partying where others are also partying and consuming alcohol.
So I would assume that NASCAR events are not appropriate for 12 and 13 year olds either

Seriously - you make it sound like the people who go to shows like this are all a bunch of drunken cretins.

Last edited by Tober138; 07-18-2008 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
This post is very subjective--how do YOU know it will be "mainly teenagers and their parents"?
If anyone knows much about Good Charlotte, then that's not being subjective, its making a very well educated assumption. The majority of the band's fans are high school age and younger.

Also, the band is not a "party" band. They've been pretty much lumped into being "straight-edge" (i.e. no drinking, do drugs, etc.) - I don't know if I entirely buy that for the band members themselves (I've met Joel and Benji a few times - both very nice kids and they, themselves, don't lead a decadent lifestyle), but a lot of their fans identify themselves as such.

I'd compare them to being basically like going to see the Jonas Brothers' older cousins who happen to play louder and faster and wear eyeliner.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
So I would assume that NASCAR events are not appropriate for 12 and 13 year olds either

Seriously - you make it sound like the people who go to shows like this are all a bunch of drunken cretins.
Not at all, and you are missing the point. The point is, there is an age appropriateness to these kind of concert events, IF alcohol will be sold at the venue, AND the venue is normally a bar.

When there will be alcohol sold at music shows I just do not believe 12 and 13 year olds need to be present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte