U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:36 PM

92 posts, read 174,494 times
Default Amos Southend Music Hall

Is it safe to take my 12,13 yr old daughters to see Good Charlotte in this Music Hall. I am about to move to Charlotte and will be there for this mega event (according to my girls), I'd love to take them, but need to know what y'all think about the area it's in. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,161,750 times
If you don't mind taking your daughters to a slam packed bar, getting beer and liquor drinks spilled on them, and letting them use not so sanitary restrooms, then yes you'll be fine.

I'm not knocking Amos' because I've been to a few shows and will go again (I hate I missed Chris Daughtry there), but seriously, I wouldn't dare take my little girls to Amos'. I know you don't know any better since you don't live here, but Amos' is definitely for the 21+ crowd. Sorry.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 PM

43,319 posts, read 51,875,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2va2nc View Post
Is it safe to take my 12,13 yr old daughters to see Good Charlotte in this Music Hall. I am about to move to Charlotte and will be there for this mega event (according to my girls), I'd love to take them, but need to know what y'all think about the area it's in. Thanks so much
I didn't know they would let kids that young in there?

Carolina_guy is right, not so sure you want your kids in a bar, or do you?

Last edited by lovesMountains; 07-17-2008 at 08:58 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 08:55 PM

92 posts, read 174,494 times
Thanks for excellent info. I guess my girls will just have to be disappointed

Old 07-17-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2va2nc View Post
Thanks for excellent info. I guess my girls will just have to be disappointed
I was hoping you would say that. Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:15 PM

2,669 posts, read 3,909,132 times
Hold on a second. Your daughters may know something we don't. When I first read this thread, my reaction was like everyone else's. I've been to shows there, its a nice venue, in a nice part of town (Southend). But I was under the impression it was always 21 and over, just like a club. My concern was that your daughters would be out of place, but it appears they have shows for people their age often. As it turns out, if you go to their website, you'll see many shows that have rules for people "under 21", such as the need to accompained by a guardian. And the Good Charlotte show is said to be "all ages". So I say take them. Here's the website...

Amos' Southend Charlotte, N.C. (http://www.amossouthend.com/main.htm - broken link)

Old 07-17-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Hold on a second. Your daughters may know something we don't. When I first read this thread, my reaction was like everyone else's. I've been to shows there, its a nice venue, in a nice part of town (Southend). But I was under the impression it was always 21 and over, just like a club. My concern was that your daughters would be out of place, but it appears they have shows for people their age often. As it turns out, if you go to their website, you'll see many shows that have rules for people "under 21", such as the need to accompained by a guardian. And the Good Charlotte show is said to be "all ages". So I say take them. Here's the website...

Amos' Southend Charlotte, N.C. (http://www.amossouthend.com/main.htm - broken link)
It doesn't take away from the fact that it's a bar, and a big one at that. It's not like going to Verizon or Bobcats Theatre. Yes, it's a good place to see a show, but not a place for a 12 year old imo. Still a bar.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post

Yes, looks like they do "all ages shows", like Tremont - but that doesn't mean there won't be older people in there drinking and doing the kinds of things older people do in bars when they drink.

There are some groups who come thru both places who clearly would only appeal to the under 18 crowd (Scapegoat is at Tremont tomorrow night for instance) and then there would be no problem. But a group like Good Charlotte will attract your teens and 20-somethings - alcohol will be served. Just not exactly the place for 12 and 13 year olds in my opinion.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 07-17-2008 at 10:20 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 PM

4,572 posts, read 4,656,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
It doesn't take away from the fact that it's a bar, and a big one at that. It's not like going to Verizon or Bobcats Theatre. Yes, it's a good place to see a show, but not a place for a 12 year old imo. Still a bar.
Now hold the phone - as someone who has seen hundreds, if not thousands, of shows in my lifetime, if its an all-ages gig I don't see a problem with it at all.

First off, while I have yet to experience Amos, I've been to plenty of "all ages" shows at clubs back home like Hammerjacks (when it was open), the 9:30 club, Jaxx and many other "bar"-type clubs and things are usually pretty ok. I've also been to shows at similar venues all over the country and I think my opinion still holds water. I was going to shows at clubs like this when I was 14-15, and still do now that I'm well into my 30's. I think some of you are over-reacting. Let's be honest - I've seen plenty of drunken idiots spill beer on people and act like idiots at professional sporting events.

Second, the band is Good Charlotte (a Baltimore / DC area band I know very well) - I can guarantee half the crowd will likely be younger kids there with their parents to begin with. This is not a band that is going to draw out out hardcore punks looking to get messed up and start fights in the mosh pit. I don't think your daughters would be in the minority at the club seeing this band - I'd be willing to bet that at least 50% of the crowd will be under the legal drinking age.

Take them - have a good time.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Now hold the phone - as someone who has seen hundreds, if not thousands, of shows in my lifetime, if its an all-ages gig I don't see a problem with it at all.

First off, while I have yet to experience Amos, I've been to plenty of "all ages" shows at clubs back home like Hammerjacks (when it was open), the 9:30 club, Jaxx and many other "bar"-type clubs and things are usually pretty ok. I've also been to shows at similar venues all over the country and I think my opinion still holds water. I was going to shows at clubs like this when I was 14-15, and still do now that I'm well into my 30's. I think some of you are over-reacting. Let's be honest - I've seen plenty of drunken idiots spill beer on people and act like idiots at professional sporting events.

Second, the band is Good Charlotte (a Baltimore / DC area band I know very well) - I can guarantee half the crowd will likely be younger kids there with their parents to begin with. This is not a band that is going to draw out out hardcore punks looking to get messed up and start fights in the mosh pit. I don't think your daughters would be in the minority at the club seeing this band - I'd be willing to bet that at least 50% of the crowd will be under the legal drinking age.

Take them - have a good time.
They are 12 and 13. Sorry, my kids had to wait for these kinds of shows until they were 15, and only when there was an under 21 crowd and no alcohol was going to be served in the place. But every parent has to make that choice for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte