Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:54 PM

693 posts, read 2,176,444 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been experiencing problems using their tivo for scheduled programs with Time Warner cable? Channel changing issues?

I have had both services hooked up since Dec. with no problems. The last three days I have all sorts of problems doing scheduled recordings. I have been on with Tivo customer support many times over the last two days, and in the end they have found that there is an issue with Time Warner's latest software update. Time Warner is of course denying this (and then tried to sell me their DVRs).

I am curious if anyone else has experience any problems lately..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 01:30 PM

550 posts, read 1,808,490 times
I use the Time Warner DVR....is there a reason you use both services?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:48 PM

I have had 2 Tivos for the last 8 years, and love them! While Time Warner has DVR service, it doesn't have all the extra features that tivo does.

Incidentally, I have continued all day to be on the phone with Tivo and Time Warner. Apparently they have been migrating out something called Mystro software. Mystro is NOT compatible with Tivo. Eventually, ALL Time Warner boxes will have Mystro.

I have spoken several times with different Time Warner reps since my original post and there is NO plan to change this software to correct the TIVO/MYSTRO bug. When asked about retaining Tivo users, I was told that since comparably few of their customers have Tivo, they have no plans to correct this software issue and are willing to lose customers because of this.

So those of you with Tivo may want to start looking in to Direct TV. :-(

Last edited by Damemeow; 07-18-2008 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 01:53 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times
I hated time warner DVR so went back to Tivo.

Got so fed up with TW that I now have the dish network.

I have the dish network DVR and I still use tivo on the 2nd receiver, love it we don't run out of space nor is there any problems with watching stuff when the other does not want.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 PM

Flyingscotsman,

Just curious (since I am now shopping for satellite) why did you go with Dish Network instead of Direct TV?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:03 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times
I did a fair amount of shopping around.

I asked on here also did comparison with all the channels, did some research online, overall, dish seems to go out less than direct tv, slightly better channel line up for us on dish.
I liked the two room dvr option, as we now have the guest room with dish.
So I can hide in their while the wife is watching GH etc.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:46 PM

Thanks, flyingscotsman.

Update on my saga--- I received a call from a Supervisor at Time Warner. He suggested that I try swapping my Pioneer cable boxes for what he called an OCAP Scientific Atlanta box. He wasn't sure if it used Mystro, but thought it was worth a try as it runs on a platform.

I will swap out the boxes tomorrow and post on the outcome.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:04 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
I currently have those Scientific Atlanta boxes and can't stand them or TW!!!!!

They pause, skip, go out......

Dawn

Old 07-18-2008, 03:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Thanks, flyingscotsman.

Update on my saga--- I received a call from a Supervisor at Time Warner. He suggested that I try swapping my Pioneer cable boxes for what he called an OCAP Scientific Atlanta box. He wasn't sure if it used Mystro, but thought it was worth a try as it runs on a platform.

I will swap out the boxes tomorrow and post on the outcome.
Damemeow - If you still have one of those Pioneer boxes, they are getting a little long in the tooth! DawnW and I haven't been cheerleaders of the Scientific Atlanta boxes (our 8300HD models). It caused us to miss a few of our shows! The OCAP thing the TW guy was talking about is the operating system that is in the Scientific Atlanta boxes. It was upgraded in the Charlotte area from April on. Damemeow, since you have the Tivo unit, you might try asking for the Scientific Atlanta 4250 HDC model, even if you don't have a high-definition TV. It has more connections on the back that might aid you in setting up your system. Let us know how you make out and we'll try to give you our best electronic advice!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:02 PM

248 posts, read 747,608 times
Oh. My. God.

I can't tell you how many problems I had with TW and my Tivo last year... just getting cable cardds installed properly was an INCREDIBLE pain in the neck. At least seven or eight appointments to come out and install them. First tech didn't even bring the cards. Three of the appointments never came to the house. I had to give up.

I'll bet they blame Tivo for the problems and they always drop the ball on a resolution, don't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte