U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 PM

26 posts, read 55,368 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move to NC/SC as soon as we sell our house (almost ready to put on market). We now live in Kettering Ohio. We have 2 children, 20 yr old son and 11 yr old daughter. Our son will be needing either community college or trade school. He is a server. Our daughter will be in 5th grade. Our schools right now are one of the best in area with a rating of 9 out of ten. However, the area is very affordable with very expensive living as well.
We are mostly wanting the best of schools with affordable living in south charlotte or fort mill/rock hill. I have a job waiting for me after November in Ballantyne. I just assume I would not be able to afford that city.
My husband will be coming without a job. He is in sales mostly in interior design or furniture. He would perfer to do outside sales but has done retail.
Which area would be best for schools, affordablility, lower taxes, not much commuting, etc... We will be renting first until we move there and learn more about area. But when we do buy we would like to stay in same area as not to move our daughter around alot.
Anybody that could give me information on any city south charlotte or Fort Mill area I would appreciate.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 PM

295 posts, read 972,043 times
Fort Mill has great schools, low taxes, low crime and affordable housing. You can't go wrong with Fort Mill.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:53 AM

797 posts, read 2,979,475 times
Matthews is very nice , good schools and right near Ballantyne so you can't go wrong. There is also Waxhaw, which is right beside ballantyne. Very good schools as well and it's in union county technically. You get a little more for your money house wise there.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:26 PM

285 posts, read 916,384 times
Fort Mill is great. Less traffic, convenient shopping, great schools and LOW taxes. You are also close to Winthrop University and York Technical in Rock Hill. It would be an easy commute to Ballantyne as you would be going opposite of the worst traffic.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:09 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,765,382 times
I live in Fort Mill and from where we are it's usuully 8 minutes to Ballantyne. However, Ballantyne to Matthews during "banking hours" as said is a reverse commute as you'd be going away from Charlotte. My father lives in matthews now which is nice because it's only about 20 minutes away whereas before he was almost an hour away in North Charlotte. Anyway, we chose Fort Mill because of low taxes (outside of Mecklenburg County) and other reasons. Our property tax actually went DOWN recently which would never happen in Meck.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:21 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,708,366 times
Fort Mill all the way...better schools, closer to Uptown (15-20 minutes), lower crime...and a very good quality of life! Was a former Fort Mill resident for 6 years before moving to Uptown Charlotte.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:53 PM

4 posts, read 14,722 times
You can't go wrong with either area and you'd be surprised what's available in Ballantyne as well. Each area has their positive sides. And you could also look in Marvin or Weddington, NC which is right near Ballantyne as well.

Last edited by groove1; 07-19-2008 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Advertising/solicitng

Old 07-19-2008, 08:57 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julzfulz View Post
You can't go wrong with either area and you'd be surprised what's available in Ballantyne as well. Each area has their positive sides. And you could also look in Marvin or Weddington, NC which is right near Ballantyne as well.

If you are interested you can contact me directly and I can send you a free relocation package with information on the South Charlotte area (Ballantyne & Matthews) as well as Fort Mill information including school info.
Watch that advertizing Julz, you won't last long around here that way, LOL!

Old 07-19-2008, 09:59 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,765,382 times
Loves is right....You can recommend an area but no offers of what you can do for the poster. If you give them good recommendations and they are interested, they will contact you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or