U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:03 AM

27,234 posts, read 20,953,037 times

Advertisements

If you hurry you'll get to see the fall scenery....bring it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:27 AM

35,576 posts, read 43,772,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
What I don't get is people who have never been here who come here and write about how much they want to move here!
What I have noticed over time is that usually, someone has a friend or relative who has moved here, and is very satisfied - wh/ inspires the other person - since they trust the friend's or relative's opinion . . . Plus - they would be moving where their friends/relatives already are . . .

Old 07-21-2008, 08:38 AM

707 posts, read 1,287,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What I have noticed over time is that usually, someone has a friend or relative who has moved here, and is very satisfied - wh/ inspires the other person - since they trust the friend's or relative's opinion . . . Plus - they would be moving where their friends/relatives already are . . .
That was the case with us. My Sister moved to Mooresville last year, and we wanted to be close but not too close, so we ended up in HC. When my parents decided to move up from Miami to closer to their Grandkids, I expressed to them how wonderful Mooresville was.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:26 AM

512 posts, read 738,244 times
I personally do not have a problem with people moving here. It has helped Charlotte in many ways and I have made many great friends who are not native. The only issue I have (and I do not think this can be helped) is real estate prices. Most natives have been accustomed to living thier whole lives on NC salaries and NC home prices before the explosive growth of Charlotte. For example I have several friends from N.Y. N.J. and FL who have moved here in recent years. (Charlotte never saw the booming real estate prices of other areas of the country. ) Anyways, one of my friends from FL happens to work in retail. I know he does not have that high of a salary. When he moved here he bought a 350,000 house! One day I asked him how he did this. He explained to me that in FL he saw rapid appreciation of his house in the past 5 years. When he moved here he had about 175,000 equity to cash out. This is how he was able to afford his house here with about the same payments he had in FL. My point is it's great for Natives because it drives up our real estate prices, but it is also very difficult if you are native to afford some of the new home prices. Chances are if you always have lived here you do not have 175,000 in equity to cash out. Luckey for me I bought in a great area several years back and have seen rapid equity (like so many that moved here). It is very tough however if you are a new homeowner who is native trying to find anything decent to live in unless you are willing to be a pioneer in an up and coming area or purchase a foreclosure.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM

314 posts, read 753,877 times
I am moving to Charlotte and I have only visited once. Well, twice if you count a day trip for an interview, but I didn't see Charlotte other than the trip to and from the interview from the airport.
While it wasn't quite as random as throwing a dart at a map, I got a job in Charlotte and then decided to move there.
I'm in a very specialized form of IT for law firms and I am part of a listserv for that industry. That listserv posts various things, including job postings from around the country.
Well, my wife and I wanted to move from St. Louis, preferably someplace closer to the east coast because my wife's parents live in PA and my wife wanted to move closer. Charlotte wasn't even on my radar and then I saw a posting for it on this listserv. Although we knew nothing about Charlotte, we had a general idea that it might be nice to move there. So, we looked up some info on Charlotte online and I put in for the job. One thing leads to another and I'm offered the job. It's a substantial enough of an increase to warrent moving, so my wife and took a weekend trip and drove the 12 hours to Charlotte. We generally liked what we saw in the one day we had to look around, and then I accepted the job. I start next month and we're currently trying to sell our home in St. Louis.
So, unfortunately, I'm one of those people who is moving to Charlotte with barely haveing visited it. I don't know anybody there and the closest person we know is 8 hours away in PA.

Good times.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 AM

1,851 posts, read 4,115,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens44 View Post
So, unfortunately, I'm one of those people who is moving to Charlotte with barely haveing visited it. I don't know anybody there and the closest person we know is 8 hours away in PA.
Good times.

Well now you know all of us

Old 07-21-2008, 11:04 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,138,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
What I don't get is people who have never been here who come here and write about how much they want to move here!
This is true. But I must add, I want to move there (though I've never been there), based on what I have seen and read.
I will not move there without visiting, of course, how ridiculous is that!
So far I like it...but once I actually come up for a vacation is when I will
know if I will actually make the move.
I don't have time to visit every city in the U.S.
So I do my research on the computer, and then I make sure I like everything I have researched before I decide if it's a "possibility".
What's wrong with writing that you want to move somewhere based on what you read and such?!! Only if you "actually" move there based solely on these reasons alone is when it's odd (if you have never even been there...ever....and don't plan on it until you move there).

Old 07-21-2008, 11:04 AM

35,576 posts, read 43,772,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens44 View Post
I am moving to Charlotte and I have only visited once. Well, twice if you count a day trip for an interview, but I didn't see Charlotte other than the trip to and from the interview from the airport.
While it wasn't quite as random as throwing a dart at a map, I got a job in Charlotte and then decided to move there.
I'm in a very specialized form of IT for law firms and I am part of a listserv for that industry. That listserv posts various things, including job postings from around the country.
Well, my wife and I wanted to move from St. Louis, preferably someplace closer to the east coast because my wife's parents live in PA and my wife wanted to move closer. Charlotte wasn't even on my radar and then I saw a posting for it on this listserv. Although we knew nothing about Charlotte, we had a general idea that it might be nice to move there. So, we looked up some info on Charlotte online and I put in for the job. One thing leads to another and I'm offered the job. It's a substantial enough of an increase to warrent moving, so my wife and took a weekend trip and drove the 12 hours to Charlotte. We generally liked what we saw in the one day we had to look around, and then I accepted the job. I start next month and we're currently trying to sell our home in St. Louis.

Good times.
My DH is from STL . . . and he is happy here. Hope that means something, LOL!!!

As S.CLT&Union said - you know all of us and we are here to help you get settled.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM

314 posts, read 753,877 times
Quote:
My DH is from STL . . . and he is happy here. Hope that means something, LOL!!!

As S.CLT&Union said - you know all of us and we are here to help you get settled.
It does mean something. If other people from STL like it there, then there's a good chance I will too.

As for knowing all of you, I greatly appreciate that. I've already gotten private responses from other people from other postings on this forum and everyone here couldn't be more helpfull. I really am glad I found you guys.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 PM

549 posts, read 1,131,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
My point is it's great for Natives because it drives up our real estate prices, but it is also very difficult if you are native to afford some of the new home prices.
It may be great if you are a North Carolinian and own property. It's absolutley terrible if you are trying to save money to buy a house, young and just started working, elderly and on a fixed income, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte