Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,740 times

Advertisements

Today is the first time on this site, we are considering a move to the Charlotte area. I have to admit that after reading some of the messages I'm a bit concerned. I really hoped that NC would be a great environment for my three kids. It is a difficult decision to pick up and leave most of your family, however we were hoping for a better and more relaxing (if that even exists anymore) place for our kids to grow up. I have only heard wonderful things about the people and the area. Please tell me something encouraging, our plan was to be down there for the new school year this fall. Our house in already on the market up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randa5 View Post
Today is the first time on this site, we are considering a move to the Charlotte area. I have to admit that after reading some of the messages I'm a bit concerned. I really hoped that NC would be a great environment for my three kids. It is a difficult decision to pick up and leave most of your family, however we were hoping for a better and more relaxing (if that even exists anymore) place for our kids to grow up. I have only heard wonderful things about the people and the area. Please tell me something encouraging, our plan was to be down there for the new school year this fall. Our house in already on the market up here.

I guess I expected paradise in NC before I actually moved here. I had wonderful experiences while being down here on vacation and also planning my move. I think reality hits when we actually became an NC citizen, it's almost like you are looking at NC through a different set of glasses. I expected perfection and that was my fault totally. I would not let the forum discourage you at all but just don't expect paradise on earth . Depending on where you are coming from and where you decide to hang your hat in NC will dictate whether NC will be more relaxing to you or not. We have traffic here but it may be more or less than you are used to.

I certainly wouldn't change my plans from what I read on this forum but just keep in mind it will be a transition just like a move anywhere. New house, new people, new schools, new stores, new doctors. I actually think change is a good thing.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:38 AM

549 posts, read 2,384,489 times
Dear snuggles23

Your post about being told to loose the accent made me remember when I was in school. In another post I wrote about how CMS discourages kids to speak with a southern drawl. So I completely understand where your coming from.

HI Rhonda a.k.a. Warden

You know something! Im also a big fan of "Home and Garden" network and I roll my eyes everytime those BOFA spots run, since it is ironic for the very reason you mentioned. I wanted to share with you and other posters the Charlotte that has been forgotten with other members; before the new "brash" and "flash" mantra became popular. I always loved to listen the stories about the refined 1930's era Charlotte of my grandmothers youth. A genteel time when men would get up from the table when a young lady politely excused herself. Before barbecues became common "Garden parties" where a popular form of gathering people. Or being one of the few Roman Catholic families and having to go "uptown" to Saint Peter's for Sunday mass. Hearing my mother and aunts talk about the mid 60's Charlotte still having the 1950' era Mamie Eisenhower sensabilities. Meanwhile in other cities like San Francisco or NYC the sixties were in full swing with Vietnam, riots, Hippies, and "Free Love".

See I also been a transplant myself in the past. So I can empathize with people moving down here and feeling a bit alianated or puzzled at the begining until it all becomes familiar and second nature. When I lived in NYC there was always some unintential or intentional snippy comments, jokes, or questions regarding hillbillies, inbreeding, southern belles, rednecks, etc. Something that urks me a bit. Those are really tired Southern stereotypes that need to be let put to rest. Just like the "Yankee" stereotypes. See letting Xenophobia here or any other part of the country, ultimately gets the best out of a person. Preventing them to learn, be enlighten, or see a different prespective from other people outside of their circle.
One thing I find in common with Northerners is that the Southern accent is just as stigmatized as are New York-New Jersey accent. That pressure pushes some people to switch or completely eliminate it to sound more "neutral".

Last edited by Anigirli; 03-12-2007 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add something else.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 AM

225 posts, read 835,353 times
Hey Anigirl,

I guess I kinda of want the nostalgia of an old southern town. I too remember being a kid in Birimingham and a gentler time. I was hoping with our move to the Charlotte area some of that would still remain.

Sometimes, I think I was born too late. I love old movies (black and white), I liked when women were feminine. I like when men open doors, even though I can open it myself. I like when walking with a man, and he walks closest to the street. ( My sons finally get this after much yelling on my part ) I guess I just want simpler times were family is first.

A few years back we started vacationing in Hilton Head. I fell in love with the place. The southern hospitality was astounding. I'm trying to reclaim my southern roots. I have lived in the north for quite a while and it is trying on the nerves. I just want a relaxing and peaceful environment to raise my family and start new traditions.

I hope that Charlotte retains some of its past glory and charm. I would hate to see what brought me to the area demolished. I'm probably a little older than most posters so some of the things that make Charlotte special for me are different for others. I look forward to the botancial gardens one poster mentioned. Although, I love flowers, I can't say I have a green thumb. So it would be wonderful to see that. So I'm ready for any more ideas and stories about the old Charlotte that is still around to experience.

Hopefully this may make the move easier for the kids too if they can connect to Charlotte in their own way.

Thanks all.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:31 AM

297 posts, read 1,141,290 times
It depends on where you go. The war still lives on here in many places. Many view Yankees as taking their jobs and kids opportunities. I moved here from the north along time ago. I must say I enough enjoy listening to a the snide comments about the outsiders in the background.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:45 AM

225 posts, read 835,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
It depends on where you go. The war still lives on here in many places. Many view Yankees as taking their jobs and kids opportunities. I moved here from the north along time ago. I must say I enough enjoy listening to a the snide comments about the outsiders in the background.
Do they have those immersion language tapes for a southern drawl? LOL. I guess I'll have to go incognito until I can fit in a little better. I won't tell if you won't!

Old 03-16-2007, 10:37 AM

12 posts, read 25,286 times
I'm a transplant and I LOVE the Carolina natives! I could never move north again! Just show some respect, don't b*tch about how bored you are, and don't try to turn their city in NYC or Atlanta, and they will welcome you with open arms. Get to know your neighbors. If you stay hidden in your home, they'll think you're a snooty northerner or a psycho killer. I love Charlotte!

Old 03-16-2007, 10:42 AM

12 posts, read 25,286 times
After 8 years, I say "Ya'll"

I don't think they view us northerners as trying to take their opportunities. I think they are just sick of us moving down and disrespecting their values. It's a gentile culture. If you just relax and go with it, you will never look back!

Old 03-16-2007, 10:53 AM

476 posts, read 1,575,771 times
As a "yankee" on her way down, I am surprised so many northerners would want to change things. We are heading that way because of the southern charm, hospitality and values and I hope we won't be too harshly judged by those who arrived before us. I have always felt like a southern girl at heart, it is just my geography that has labeled me otherwise until this summer when are dream becomes reality.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:33 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl 4 Life View Post
After 8 years, I say "Ya'll"

I don't think they view us northerners as trying to take their opportunities. I think they are just sick of us moving down and disrespecting their values. It's a gentile culture. If you just relax and go with it, you will never look back!

I am shadowing your post again. Again you said the very thing I was thinking today to myself. I was sitting at my desk thinking these people have very gentle personalities and I can see how they would feel over-run. It's funny I used the same word gentle. I have a pretty hi-powered hi-strung personality and I have to learn to tone it down and relax and speak slower.

Oh except for the folks at the Mooresville DMV.......LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte