U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:03 AM

755 posts, read 2,242,959 times

Advertisements

Thanks once again to Charlotte's let's make everything pretty philosophy those medians are a hindrance to emergency vehicles and put people's safety at risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 06:04 AM

876 posts, read 3,482,951 times
this thread is still alive and kicking?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:37 AM

116 posts, read 299,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Aw, don't like being called out when you're wrong, eh?

Not talking semantics. You called out a poster on something... and in doing so did the same thing that you accused him of doing -- acted like you knew what happened. When he called you on that ... you mis-stated his words to try to justify your hypocrisy.

I am simply a crusader for truths in internets message boards. No need to thank me.
I think you need to re read the post. I posed an opinion on the merest of possibilities that the accident may not have been down to driver distraction. I did not claim to be there, either in this post or my last......I'm not sure why you can't grasp this concept and want to take this thread in an irrelevant direction?

E-crusader...says it all really

Old 08-13-2008, 07:06 AM

3,455 posts, read 6,303,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMillBound View Post
I've lived in several different states, and this is the ONLY place I've ever seen ambulances and fire trucks drive the wrong way in a lane of traffic. It is hideously dangerous. Does no good to hurry recklessly to an accident and cause another on the way!
I see it here in the Seattle area quite often, and have seen it in Oregon, California, and Vancouver, BC.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,668,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I see it here in the Seattle area quite often, and have seen it in Oregon, California, and Vancouver, BC.
I saw it in Phoenix and Dallas as well.

I think the bigger issue is maybe fixing those medians, it seems like this occurs on that street often.

The driver admitted he didn't look and he has a poor driving history. It's a shame one way or the other.

Let's realize these guys/gals do there best and situations will arise where they have to take chances. We all complain when emergency personell take too long, but then some critisize them for taking these chances. We all know that sitting behind 100 feet of cars at a light could mean life or death in certain circumstances. I for one know I am guilty of not always catching the emergency vehicle, mostly because I play my music too loud.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,306,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Thanks once again to Charlotte's let's make everything pretty philosophy those medians are a hindrance to emergency vehicles and put people's safety at risk.
Have you ever tried to cross 4 or 6 lanes of 60 mph traffic? Those medians are there for the safety of pedestrians too. The city needs to put in more turn arounds, not eliminate the medians.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:26 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,668,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Have you ever tried to cross 4 or 6 lanes of 60 mph traffic? Those medians are there for the safety of pedestrians too. The city needs to put in more turn arounds, not eliminate the medians.
we need Hover Fire Trucks! that of course run on BioFuel or Fusion Engines or something. The days of road traffic is so 1980.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:49 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,646,287 times
Moderator cut: PLEASE NO FLAMING IN THIS FORUM AND STICK TO TOPIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_to_USA View Post
I know YOU weren't there obviously and I never alluded to the fact I was there either. YOU made the broad sweeping statement that the SUV driver MUST have been distracted and didn't see a large red truck with blinding lights and loud sirens barreling down the road.......
What about simple driver error? What about the driver making a bad decision in the heat of the moment? How old was the driver? A senior citizen perhaps with slower than usual skills? A young inexperienced driver perhaps?
Lets face it its not everyday the general population happens upon a driving situation like this and thus bad decisions are made by some.......I for one until I get the facts can at least give the benefit of the doubt.....Moderator cut: flaming ...
I've already covered this one, but I'd like to draw your attention to something from the Observer today. Turns out that driver distraction is indeed a very common cause of accidents. Whether or not it was the cause of this one isn't known. The first sentence of the article is "An SUV driver's “inattention” contributed to a collision with a firetruck driving the wrong way on South Boulevard, police say." Now inattention isn't the same as distraction, but it's in the same family. Close enough that they included this paragraph in the story:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer story I linked to up there ^
The Fire Department, in its list of driver safety tips, recommends that drivers look both ways at intersections; avoid distractions such as sending text messages or loud music; and pull to the right curb and stop when they see or hear an emergency vehicle.
Hmmm... sounds an awful lot like Ashville Native's original post. Perhaps you should fire off an email to the editor mocking them for not being there and asking how they know this.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-13-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: PLEASE NO FLAMING OR OFF TOPIC POSTS

Old 08-13-2008, 01:52 PM

755 posts, read 2,242,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
The speed limit isn't 60 mph on South Boulevard, and pedestrians cross at intersections. There's no need for 100 yards - the length of a football field - worth of median.

Besides that, the medians are covered in raised concrete planters filled with shrubs. There's no way for pedestrians to get across them.

These medians were not erected for the safety of pedestrians or anyone else, they were put there to pretty-up South Boulevard for developers.

And BTW, adding turn arounds wouldn't have prevented this accident, as the firetruck was going straight.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:37 PM

116 posts, read 299,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Moderator cut: PLEASE NO FLAMING IN THIS FORUM AND STICK TO TOPIC

I've already covered this one, but I'd like to draw your attention to something from the Observer today. Turns out that driver distraction is indeed a very common cause of accidents. Whether or not it was the cause of this one isn't known. The first sentence of the article is "An SUV driver's “inattention” contributed to a collision with a firetruck driving the wrong way on South Boulevard, police say." Now inattention isn't the same as distraction, but it's in the same family. Close enough that they included this paragraph in the story:
Ahh yes I read the same article as you obviously have, but the next line, from that article is:
'Matthew Colby Sain, 25, looked left but not right Monday morning as he turned from Woodlawn Road onto southbound South Boulevard, said a police report released Tuesday'

How many times do you turn right in your life and find a 4 ton red truck in your lane?? Yes this guy should have had more situational awareness and avoided this accident, thus the word 'Inattention' not 'distraction'.....Which brings me to my previous point which apparently you want to debate, that MAYBE he wasn't using his cell phone, texting his G/F, picking his nose but just MAYBE wasn't paying attention.....
Same family of words? I detect some back sliding....

I should become an e-crusader
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte