U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:16 AM

143 posts, read 485,708 times

Advertisements

Friday when I was on my lunch break, my life flashed in front of my eyes. I was on Billy Graham going toward 85 from South Blvd. After getting off at the Tyvola exit, going toward Yorkmont. I literally ran into a surprise.

A Firetruck going the wrong way down the exit ramp!! If anyone has been on this exit, you know that it is basically a blind curve. I was going about 35 mph and as soon as I went around the curve, I had a fire truck going full charge toward me. I had to swerve off of the road and my heart felt as though it would burst out of my chest.

What gives? Is it legal for a Firetruck to go the WRONG way down a blind exit? There was no accident in sight so they could have gone the CORRECT way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 59,401,107 times
that is why they have sirens

as long as they are going to help someone in need I think they can do whatever they please to get to the scene faster

you are suppose to move over and slow down for emergency vehicles

Old 07-20-2008, 09:17 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,841,752 times
Oh I don't know about this one. Sirens behind you or within your peripheral vision is one thing, but to come into a blind exit the wrong way is not something most people expect. I think that they have unnecessarily put someone else's life in danger in their quest and zeal to save someone else's. IMO, they were wrong.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:18 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,372,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

as long as they are going to help someone in need I think they can do whatever they please to get to the scene faster

Actually, ALL emergency vehicles are required to be operated with due regard to the safety of other vehicles, their operators, and pedestrians. Simply, that means driving backward down the on-ramp may be permitted, but forcing other vehicles off the road is not. If the vehicle was being operated at such a speed that an accident was very possible, that driver as well as the officer in charge of it were both wrong.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:19 AM

2,203 posts, read 2,985,964 times
Yikes! that would scare the pants off me!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:45 AM

7,348 posts, read 11,481,360 times
While we're on the subject, has anyone seen these firetrucks and ambulances that sound two distinctly different sirens simultaneously?

I was at corner the other day and it sounded like a parade of emergency vehicles was coming from all directions at this same corner. I was swinging my head all around trying to figure out how come I couldn't see more than one. Then when he turned off and headed down the sideroad, all of the siren noise faded off with him. So, in the end it was only one vehicle making all kinds of siren sounds.

I can appreciate them needing to make themselves heard, but it was very confusing to the average motorist trying to stay out of their way!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:24 AM

143 posts, read 485,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

If I hadn't moved over in a split-second, I would have been smashed into their grill. I think you've missed the point that this was right before a blind curve, I didn't even hear any sirens. When I finally merged onto Tyvola, I saw another fire truck further up the road going down the correct exit ramp. If I had gotten a truck or plate #, I would be reporting them.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:28 AM

35,885 posts, read 68,259,564 times
OMGosh, this made cold chills on me, Kja. <shivering> Having had a bad accident where someone ran a stoplight and knocked me two city blocks . . . I know how this put the absolute fear of god into you when you saw that firetruck.

I think emergency vehicles have the right of way, always, but as others have said - they are not to endanger lives - if they are going down a median, for example, or on a shoulder, or running a red light . . . they still have to be aware of others who may not realize they are around . . . To my knowledge, I have never seen or heard of an emergency vehicle coming the opposite direction on an off or on ramp, as w/ curves, that could be a head-on collision in the making. I am assuming they were over to the side as far as they could go, but fire trucks are so wide . . .

I am just thankful you are ok. But geeezzz . . . how scary.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:34 AM

876 posts, read 3,514,356 times
yes its legal for them to violate traffic laws in emergency mode.

Let's put a spin on this: If YOUR family was burning in a car that was just involved in a car accident, would you want the firefighters to get there as fast as possible to save you or your families life, or would you want them using their blinker, not exceeding the speed limit, going the right way on the interstate EVEN if it takes 10 minutes longer to respond a different way?

I am sure they weren't ripping around the exit the wrong way at 80mph, im sure they were as scared as you were going around that bend, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and hope for the best!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:41 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,372,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
yes its legal for them to violate traffic laws in emergency mode.

Let's put a spin on this: If YOUR family was burning in a car that was just involved in a car accident, would you want the firefighters to get there as fast as possible to save you or your families life, or would you want them using their blinker, not exceeding the speed limit, going the right way on the interstate EVEN if it takes 10 minutes longer to respond a different way?

I am sure they weren't ripping around the exit the wrong way at 80mph, im sure they were as scared as you were going around that bend, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and hope for the best!
That may be what they're doing, but that's not what they're legally bound to do. They are still bound by law to do everything within their power to avoid accidents. For instance- a fire truck is legally allowed to run a red light. Howerver, if they cause an accident in doing so, the driver and ultimately the fire department are responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte