U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:13 AM

550 posts, read 1,617,640 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I saw one by my backdoor once.... it's like a small helicopter.... It was enough for me to walk around to the front of the house and stay far clear of that thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 AM

182 posts, read 749,004 times
Default Cicada Killers

I was amazed when I saw this creature for the first time this weekend!
I didn't know what it was , but I could hear it dragging it's catch across the lawn !
I googled it and there it was....well drainned lawns are perfect conditions for them to nest and with watering only once a week, my lawns pretty well drainned I don't know about anybody else.
I guess it's the lesser of two evils...one cicada killer can kill up to 100 cicada's a week...it's nature own pesticide.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:10 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,566,190 times
Ugh! I know they don't sting, but they startle me when I'm trying to weed the flower beds in the morning or check on my veggies. There is one really stubborn one that perches on my front door, and if we don't watch out for this one, it will make it inside the house, and then pandemonium will break out! Bad enough I don't see the bumblebees in my blue salvias, so I go in there pulling weeds and next thing I know it is resting on my arm. The cicada killers just jump out at you. I may not die from a sting, but it's very possible I'll have a coronary!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:54 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,729,117 times
Don't be mistaken...as far as I understand they can sting/bite humans and pets...they just choose to typically ignore us. If provoked, they can and will attack. Like I said, they were pissed off at my lawn mower...kept flying at it and "bumping" into it. I don't know if they were stinging or what. But they certainly weren't trying to shake hands with it!

Old 07-28-2008, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,621 times
Default I'm confused...

Those nasty looking images that are posted below....they're not the cicadas, but cicada killers?

My exterminator said they WERE the cicadas.

If it flies I'm afraid of it. I want to know if they'll stink me. I pass about 15 of them each time I leave my apartment (or come back home).

They're out at 6am and stay out until past 7pm!

Old 07-28-2008, 03:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,511,961 times
the picture posted in #5 is Cicadas they are friendly and very chatty. YOu can even tie a yard long of yarn and have your own little helicopter.

If they crash at 7pm then they must have went to gossip somewhere else because I have heard them into wee hours of the morning.

YouTube - Return of the 17 Year Cicadas

YouTube - Cicada Killer Wasp

Old 07-28-2008, 04:40 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,566,190 times
Cicada killers CAN sting humans. In fact they just stung my hubby the other night. We went out to the patio and it was dark. He happened to lay his hand on the back of the patio chair, and of all places, a cicada killer was there. It stung him in the hand and then fell to the ground. Well, cicada killers are part of the wasp family. Hubby as a child got stung by a hundred yellow jackets and is now allergic to them. Any sting of an insect in the same family (yellow jackets are wasps) can sensitize one who is already allergic to wasp venom. Needless to say, I had to wait for an hour to see if he would have any anaphylactic reaction to it. Thank goodness I did not have to call 911 or rush him to ER. Much as they kill cicadas (who other than eating trees are pretty harmless to me), I hate the CK's because they build nests under the bushes where I have to go and weed or deadhead the flowers. They act aggressive then and buzz dive you since they think you are going into their little hills. They even managed to get inside the lawn irrigation covers so we put tape over the hole you use to lift the cover. There must have been four hills together in there. Wasp spray is effective except since they are constantly flying, you have to spray them while they're in flight, but we managed to make a dent on the population for now.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:26 AM

2 posts, read 5,621 times
Thanks for the replies. I sent my landlord info on these wasps. I cannot stand them. And I don't care what anyone or any site says, these things land on people regularly. It's terrible to have to check yourself and neighbors before entering your apartment!

Wish me luck!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:38 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,091,344 times
Sweet Jesus, those things are HUGE! Just moved into our home in Kannapolis and I saw one of those monsters in the yard! Luckily I knew what it was from reading these forums, but they still give me the heebeegeebees. Ugh, my skin is still crawling, I hope they are not regulars in my yard.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:58 PM

569 posts, read 1,222,284 times
Thanks for this post. I have had these every year (usually pop up for only a few weeks or so). I always wondered what those dirt hills were they built in my front yard. I must say I feel pretty stupid because for the past several years when they appear I have poured ant killer on those mounds in my yard. It seems to do the trick though because they disappear soon after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte