U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:50 PM

65 posts, read 206,438 times

Advertisements

My husband I have been in Charlotte for the past 4 days trying to buy a home. We sold our home in Florida and are relocating to the area later on this year. We are working with a wonderful realtor that took us all over Union County (we decided to buy there for the schools and area) and were just surprised by the inflexibility of the builders. We were looking for inventory homes or a newly built home between $250K - $275K.

We have been to Fieldstone Farms (Centex), Briarcrest (Mccar Homes), Demere (Lennar), Tuscany (KHOV) and many more. We really liked Fieldstone Farms and Briarcrest. Fieldstone had no inventory homes and a 5% incentive of the purchase price of the home that could be used for anything you chose. Mccar had a $15,000 incentive whether building or inventory.

We priced out a home in each community and asked for further incentives and were pretty much told no. We know that they are not selling as they used to but we were very surprised to how inflexible they were. What's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 04:36 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,056,379 times
There's a Lennar community on Providence Road in Waxhaw that a friend of mine got an AWESOME deal on an inventory home. I can't recall the name of the comunity, but the builder seemed very flexible.

This was just about 4 months ago so you may be able to look it up or ride through. If you're headed towards Wahax from 485 it's on the left hand side.

Good Luck and congrats on selling your home in FL!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:02 PM

549 posts, read 2,004,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phodg2 View Post
My husband I have been in Charlotte for the past 4 days trying to buy a home. We sold our home in Florida and are relocating to the area later on this year. We are working with a wonderful realtor that took us all over Union County (we decided to buy there for the schools and area) and were just surprised by the inflexibility of the builders. We were looking for inventory homes or a newly built home between $250K - $275K.

We have been to Fieldstone Farms (Centex), Briarcrest (Mccar Homes), Demere (Lennar), Tuscany (KHOV) and many more. We really liked Fieldstone Farms and Briarcrest. Fieldstone had no inventory homes and a 5% incentive of the purchase price of the home that could be used for anything you chose. Mccar had a $15,000 incentive whether building or inventory.

We priced out a home in each community and asked for further incentives and were pretty much told no. We know that they are not selling as they used to but we were very surprised to how inflexible they were. What's going on?

Did you tell them you were ready to wite a contract that day?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:19 PM

367 posts, read 928,361 times
Well, probably because they have slashed the advertised prices of their homes by 20-30% over the last 9 months just to get people to look. We got $33,000 off our home when we signed 13 months ago, but the listed price was really high. Now the same home is listed for quite a bit less than what we paid. They must be getting to the breaking point where they can go no lower and they are better off holding on to it until things improve.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 PM

743 posts, read 2,024,233 times
Did you try Annandale, McCar's neighborhood beside Fieldstone Farm? They have a boatload in that price range available and right now they are just about giving them away. If you are looking for that price range, then with the $15K it will probably put you below it.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:24 AM

87 posts, read 259,369 times
You have to play the negotiating game. Make them an offer...don't be too eager to agree to terms and then wait. The longer their inventory sits, the more willing they'll be to move on the price. If it is a house that isn't ready yet and has a couple of months before completion, you can bet they have time on their side, rather than a house sitting completed.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:14 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,661,977 times
Default to get into briarcrest

soem of those homes with the big lots go for $500,00 so I can't imagine they would sell them for under half of that!

You might have better luck just buying a resale in Briarcrest across the street on the smaller lots for that amount. I think they would maybe go for 275,000 but not much lower then that.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:28 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,863,258 times
You usally get much better incentives on inventory homes, the builders at the moment are content selling 1 or 2 houses a month.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 AM

284 posts, read 530,133 times
We were able to get over $100K off in Lake Forest Preserve - if anyone is considering that development DM me and I can share details. We're very happy with how everything went.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:59 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,816,661 times
Lennar in my community is holding off on incentives. In just the two past weeks they sold two homes and have a contract on a third one so things aren't too bad in my hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte