U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,475,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi&Jon View Post
We're doing our final walkthrough for our Ryan home in Huntersville on Friday. Ryan homes themselves have been wonderful to work with. Very speedy process and all of our questions have been dealt with wonderfully. Wish I could say the same for NVR Mortgage, their mtg. company. My advice would be to build a house you can comfortably afford ignoring any incentives tied to NVR and avoid them altogether. We've had 4 months of constant chaos from them and would NEVER go through them again!
I will second that - working with NVR was horrible (in my case; I won't speak for anyone else). The most polite way I can put it is that they had no people skills. I ended up going back to the lender I worked with at SunTrust for my first home in MD and told NVR to take a hike. Yes I gave up a few incentives, but to me it was worth it to actually work with a lender that actually gave a whit about me.

I think the main issue with NVR is that they really serve as a mortgage clearinghouse - they just get you approved and then they sell off the mortgage immediately, so they have no interest in working with you as a client the way another lender might.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 07:16 AM

373 posts, read 1,331,665 times
Just so everyone is clear NVR is that parent company of Ryan

Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCruzes View Post
Just so everyone is clear NVR is that parent company of Ryan
That is correct. And if you buy new from Ryan, even if you go with another lender, NVR Settlement Services will be who you conduct your settlement with.

I will also say, once I informed NVR and the Ryan sales office of my decision to go with another lender, I got a flurry of e-mails from Ryan about my decision asking why I went elsewhere.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 AM

92 posts, read 244,575 times
Hi, we are working with NVR and we locked in at 4.99% on a 5/1 arm earlier this year which we will be closing on in the next ten days. I am told by NVR that its the lender and not NVR that have such strict requirements right now and this is why they keep coming back for more information. My house looks amazing so far, we have walk through and inspection Thursday so I will know more then, and they are already asking me to list things that need fixing, I have only found a few. My experience to date has been great and I know that's not true for everyone.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:22 PM

27 posts, read 83,020 times
I closed this morning with NVR. No problems at all. In fact the guy I worked with came in to meet me and thank me. I know it doesn't always work for everyone but I am happy. And after 3 months of temp living I am finally going to be back in my own bed tomorrow night! It's been a long time....

Old 07-21-2008, 08:44 PM

Sunlvr - I hear you - we settle on Friday - although due to some travel we both have coming up next week - we won't be out of the temp apartment and into the house for another 1-2 weeks. I know you're in Ayrsley, same as us - uk2va2nc - are you in that development too?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:38 PM

9 posts, read 25,800 times
Been here for 7 months so far.... It's quiet no problems. Anyone know why they filled the pool back in??? The dug it out, then just the other day put all the dirt back in there.

Don't get me started on NVR....suffice to say, I used an outside lender, outside closing agent and kept the incentives......

Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 PM

We have a potential neighbor who signed a contract with Ryan and Ryan assured her she would close on or near a certian date. They kept delaying the contract and she found out that the reasons they were giving her were bogus. Seems that the lot they sold her had liens on it that they were aware of and they failed to mention that little detail to her. They had to get the lien moved to another lot. So they are now paying part of her rent while she waits to close.

Actually it is my understanding that all the remaining lots for sale in our neighborhood have liens on them yet they are all still for sale. I could be mistaken but that is what I have been told.

Last edited by CarolinaCruzes; 07-22-2008 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 10:36 AM

I just spoke with the husband of the couple mentioned in my previous post and my heart is breaking for them. He told me that when they first signed the contract with Ryan and found out about the liens they did not want to proceed. They were not comfortable that so early in the process things were not being disclosed and were concerned it would only get worse (which it has). He told the sales agent (who is mentioned several time in the WT postings) they were not going through with post. The sales agent told them they would not be getting there money back for several years. I guess insinuating that Ryan would keep there money tied up for as long as they could. The husband told me it was all the money they had and they were forced to buy the home because they had no money to fight. He said his dream home as become his nightmare. This is now the 4rd family in this neighborhood to describe their experience in that manner. They were suppose to close yestereday but could not because Ryan installed their septic system in the same crappy (pardon the pun) as they installed ours and another neighbors. Actually after reps from NC visited our site on monday they went directly to this families site. My guess is they stepped in and before it got as bad as ours. Not only that none of us were told that we know have to pay $400-$600 per year for the life of the system to have these systems maintained. That was not disclosed to anyone until after closing. They also failed to tell any of us that the systems we have are classified under Experimental and Innovative there not even conventional systems.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzipilot View Post
Been here for 7 months so far.... It's quiet no problems. Anyone know why they filled the pool back in??? The dug it out, then just the other day put all the dirt back in there.

Don't get me started on NVR....suffice to say, I used an outside lender, outside closing agent and kept the incentives......
Is this the pool they were digging out in Ayrsley? If so, I'll ask them tomorrow when we go for our walk through.

Maybe they are relocating it?? Last week, when I was out there, the one PM was telling me they may expand the Ryan development as D.R. Horton pulled out and Ryan was considering buying up their undeveloped lots (which are already roughed in for utilities).

Oh yeah - I went with an outside lender (still closing with NVR as the settlement agent tho) and we kept our "NVR required" incentives as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte