Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 PM

12 posts, read 15,767 times

Advertisements

So here it goes. I'm picking/packing up most of my belongings and high tailing it to Sherrills Ford to help out my grandpa and a fresh start for me. I'm still young so I want to be able to explore the city. Also, I need to find a job. Any recommendations on places I should check out and how exactly people in NC job hunt?? I use craigslist out here as a lot of employers post job ads on it, but I cant say the same for North Carolina.

I think I'm just looking for a little bit of light into what the atmosphere is like where I'm moving to, just so I'm not going in blind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM

13,346 posts, read 26,855,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calliec View Post
I think I'm just looking for a little bit of light into what the atmosphere is like where I'm moving to, just so I'm not going in blind.
The first thing I did was figure out where Sherrills Ford is. It's about 30 miles from Charlotte, on Lake Norman. if you're willing to commute into the the Charlotte area, there are probably job postings on Craiglist and in the Charlotte paper. Since Sherrills Ford has only about 1000 people, the next thing you could do is figure what the local employers are and how your skills could be used. Retail is the biggest category when you look at the profile of the town on City-data.com . Good Luck!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Totally dont mind commuting, I do it all the time in California. And Im also thinking of going to a culinary school in Charlotte so I'll have to be going there anyways!

Thanks for the input!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,192,049 times
A lot of folks from the Sherrills Ford area historically work in Catawba County. I am assuming your grandfather is a native here so probably has been here all his life . . . ? Of course, it would depend on where you are living exactly in proximity to highways as to how convenient it is to get to Charlotte as opposed to Hickory or Newton/Conover, but I thought I would just throw that into the mix.

Also, some folks would find it as convenient to get a job in Statesville (or Iredell county, in general) - again, depending where in Sherrills Ford they are located.

The culinary school would be a great way to to go! But in case you decide that isn't which direction you want to go in, keep in mind that there are a lot of great schools in the area, such as Catawba Valley Community College (CVCC) and Mitchell College in Statesville . . . Lenoir-Rhyne in Hickory . . . and various other community colleges, such as Central Piedmont (CP) - wh/ has campuses in various locations. If you want further education, there is no reason you can't get it living in Sherrills Ford.

Once you get here, just learn your paths around the region. You may find you want to spend time in Charlotte -or you may find you prefer a more laid back small town environment.

Wishing you the best of luck. Let us know how we can help you as you make this big change in your life!

Old 12-29-2011, 04:06 PM

thanks!
My grandpa actually isnt a native, he moved back there with his late wife in 2002. If I recall correctly, he told me he was about 2 miles from lake norman... not sure if that helps lol
I like both laid back and bigger city atmospheres, but innately, I think I'm going to lean towards a bigger city.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliec View Post
thanks!
My grandpa actually isnt a native, he moved back there with his late wife in 2002. If I recall correctly, he told me he was about 2 miles from lake norman... not sure if that helps lol
I like both laid back and bigger city atmospheres, but innately, I think I'm going to lean towards a bigger city.
You know what they say about why we should never make assumptions, lol. So I got that one wrong!

I expect, being that close to the lake, it will be as easy for you to get to Charlotte, then.

It is gonna be exciting for you to explore the area and see just what there is for you here. Lots of good info on this forum - just use the search feature. And we are here to help answer any questions . . . you will be just fine.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:42 PM

perfect!! I'm so excited about this move.. any good suggestions on food/places to see/etc??

your insight is very nice to receive.. thank you!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 PM

Well, as far as a job search, what type of thing would you be looking for to start out?

I think it is a good idea to personally go to stores and fill out applications or get the name of the person to send a resume to via email. It never hurts to talk to a manager if you can manage to do it. I would suggest doing this for any retail establishment you are interested in - even if they are not advertising a specific job opening.

Do you like museums? The Bechtler is outstanding. Bechtler Museum of Modern Art

To learn more about the history of the region - The Charlotte Museum of History

If you like Ikea, that is a fun retail trip! lol

Into NASCAR? The NASCAR Hall of Fame - Where the race lives on.â„¢

Here's a calendar of some events in the area:

Charlotte Events Calendar - Find Charlotte Events

I would guess you would enjoy the NC Music Factory!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,136,308 times
A friend lives in Sherrills Ford, on Lake Norman. It's a tiny little burg by itself, but is less than an hour away from Charlotte. Mooresville is the closest "city" but it's small as well.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, as far as a job search, what type of thing would you be looking for to start out?

I think it is a good idea to personally go to stores and fill out applications or get the name of the person to send a resume to via email. It never hurts to talk to a manager if you can manage to do it. I would suggest doing this for any retail establishment you are interested in - even if they are not advertising a specific job opening.

Do you like museums? The Bechtler is outstanding. Bechtler Museum of Modern Art

To learn more about the history of the region - The Charlotte Museum of History

If you like Ikea, that is a fun retail trip! lol

Into NASCAR? The NASCAR Hall of Fame - Where the race lives on.â„¢

Here's a calendar of some events in the area:

I would guess you would enjoy the NC Music Factory!

incredible!! I'm not sure if starting out working PT and going to school PT is the right approach. My background is mostly administrative stuff so pretty easily transferable within different jobs. I was thinking of starting out finding a job full time, getting my feet planted to where i'm comfortable with my surroundings and then jump into PT school/PT work.

All those events sound AMAZING! North Carolina only sounds better by the day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte