Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:05 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,482 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Charlotte from Northern Virginia. I lived in Charlotte for 8 years, and he did for 1, but we were both just renters. So viewing Charlotte through the eyes of a buyer is a whole different experience! This will be the first house purchase for both of us, so we are definitely a little nervous. We've decided we could really use the services of an exclusive buyer's agent, but this is where we've gotten stuck.

How do you pick one? I've spent a bunch of time poring over websites looking for qualifications and reviews and testimonials until my head spins, but I don't feel any closer. Do you just close your eyes and throw a dart and hope for the best? Does anyone have a good experience with one, or a recommendation on how they picked one? Does anyone have one they feel fanatical about? (Please pm me!)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 01:45 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
You are going to get bombarded with PM's now. I just a bought a house and used a coworker who is licensed as agent. He was excellent so let me know if you want his details.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:53 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,096 times
You will get a ton of personal recommendations, so go with one you feel comfortable with. I like many others, have a great Agent, though not an exclusive buyer agent. Normally I would say don't sign any contracts with them, until you find one you want to put a contract on, but I would presume EBA's have stronger contracts, and may even charge a fee, since they make no money selling.

Good luck

here is one list you could use:

Exclusive Buyers Agents for Home and Real Estate Buyers-North Carolina 07/20/07

Last edited by Whytewulf; 07-20-2007 at 02:22 PM..

Old 07-20-2007, 01:59 PM

Thanks guys. Perhaps the fact that I am looking for an "exclusive buyer's agent" will keep the general agent referrals to a minimum...

Also, we're going to scope out neighborhoods this weekend, and if we happen across any open houses, we might wander in. Is it okay to go look at open houses without an agent? Does that put us under any obligation to anyone if we find one we love?

(btw, I love this forum. I started reading it back when I still lived in Charlotte, I just never had a reason to start a thread until now!)

Old 07-20-2007, 02:08 PM

68 posts, read 237,157 times
The right buyer's agent is contingent upon where you want to live in Charlotte. Different agents are masters of different areas. At the end of the day their skill is limited to their expertise and knowledge of the right area.

I know a few great ones for the South Park area, but they would be lost puppies in Ballyntine!

Let me know if I can help!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Thanks guys. Perhaps the fact that I am looking for an "exclusive buyer's agent" will keep the general agent referrals to a minimum...

Also, we're going to scope out neighborhoods this weekend, and if we happen across any open houses, we might wander in. Is it okay to go look at open houses without an agent? Does that put us under any obligation to anyone if we find one we love?

(btw, I love this forum. I started reading it back when I still lived in Charlotte, I just never had a reason to start a thread until now!)
There is no problem with looking, in fact you don't need an agent at all. You can buy and sell houses without agents, it just is a bit difficult and not really recommended, especially on the buyer side (it technically costs you nothing). If you are looking at new homes though, they will sometimes offer a better deal if you don't use an agent, because they save money as well, and usually pass that on. In fact, many of them have you sign something, asking if you have an agent.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:27 PM

68 posts, read 237,157 times
If you walk into an open house without an agent, be sure that you realize that the agent listing the property is in no way working for you nor has any of your interests in mind. He or she is solely there to get their client the highest price for their home without breaking the law.

They should make you sign a "working with real estate agents" form that dicloses this information at first substantial contact... if not they could lose their license

Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 PM

536 posts, read 1,693,486 times
Question question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post

So out of curiosity, how many PM's did you get?

Old 07-22-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
So out of curiosity, how many PM's did you get?
Oddly enough, only one!!

We're on our recon trip to Charlotte this weekend, and we feel really good about being able to find the right house for us. Now, we just need someone to represent us, who of course will only have our best interests in mind. We begin the search in earnest for someone this week...

Thanks for all the helpful feedback!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:35 AM

I was curious, why were you so driven to have a exclusive buyers agent, versus a standard agent? (I see some benefit, but in my experiences of buying homes, the standard realtor has been great, and never represent both seller and buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: