U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 13,156 times

Advertisements

We're planning a move from Los Angeles to Charlotte this summer. I'm just curious how they might compare. I know that housing will be actually be affordable (right now we're paying $1750/mo for a 2 bdrm apt). I also know that traffic won't be as bad (my 18 mile commute can sometimes take 1.5-2 hrs). What about culture and diversity? Unique places to eat/shop (not just chains and Wal-mart)? Fun stuff to do with kids? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 12:21 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,643,843 times
I'm not sure how you could do a meaningful comparison between the two cities due to the difference in size of the population, 4 million vs 600K. LA is always going to have much more of everything, good and bad.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:41 PM

Please don't dismiss this post so quickly! I know there are vast differences in the size of the cities, but I am truly curious what Charlotte has to offer! Thanks.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:56 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,643,843 times
From a racial diversity point of view:

White
CLT - 58.3%
LAX - 46.9%

Black
CLT - 32.7%
LAX - 11.2%

Asian
CLT - 3.4%
LAX - 10.0%

Bureau of the Census

Old 01-21-2007, 08:28 PM

225 posts, read 764,612 times
vtpete

Check the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce Site for information about the city other than statistics. Although, a bit impersonal, you will get a lot information about the city. Try other websites about the bobcats, panthers, schools, ecomonic development, etc are just a click away. I also lived in LA for a while and all the things you described were my main reasons for movirng away. I truly understand where you are coming from with your questions.

Good Luck.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpete View Post
Please don't dismiss this post so quickly! I know there are vast differences in the size of the cities, but I am truly curious what Charlotte has to offer! Thanks.

Hey, to quote John F. Kennedy (sort of) "ask not what your city can do for you, what can you do for your city?" That's an attempt to make you smile, but also to make you think So while I answer you about what Charlotte has to offer you, I hope you will spend a minute thinking about what you have to offer Charlotte once you move here.

Charlotte is a beautiful city with a big heart. It's not as sophistocated as some cities, but we are not totally void of culture. We have several wonderful museums, art gallaries in areas like NoDa and Southend, The NC Dance Theatre, Opera Carolina (currently performing Pagliacci & La Vid Breve - and yes I had to look that up to spell it!!! Pirates of Penzance is later this spring), The Charlotte Symphony (and the beautiful Blumenthal Performing Arts Center to enjoy them all, plus much more).

There's Ovens Auditorium for smaller shows, concerts or plays. There's Theatre Charlotte - the city's amateur troupe recently performing A Chorus Line. There are at least a half a dozen funky and up and coming amateur troups, some of whom perform at the very intimate and enjoyable Spirit Square stage. And lest I forget, the incredibly popular Children's Theater, and the Discovery Place Science Museum with Omnimax theater.

There are several movie theaters which play first run alternative films you won't find at the standard multiplexes with stadium seating (which we also have all around town). The newest movie theater of this type is in Ballantyne and offers upscale food and drinks for your dining pleasure during the movie.

I could go on...but hopefully this will help you to see some of what awaits you in your new home. Speaking of which, most of us are very welcoming of newcomers since at one time or another (even if it was 20 years ago) we were newcomers ourselves. However, just remember this is the Bible Belt and we often live our faith more comfortably in our daily lives than those of you in California. There will frequently be mention of God or church in the news media, radio and even at schools. You will see us sometimes praying quietly over our meals in restaurants. You will be invited by at least one neighbor to visit their church to help you in finding a "church family". And by the way, 99% of those neighbors will never bother you about it again if you tell them "no thank you". Being a good neighbor in the south often means you will invite your neighbors to church, no insult is intended by the invitation.

We are a city of volunteers, many of whom come from our many church families. Our Habitat for Humanity is one of the most active in the nation and our annual Crop Walk to feed the hungry raised more money than another other city in the country the last two years.

We welcome you to come and join us here in making this a good place to call home. Get involved somewhere...besides the fact you'll make new friends faster, you'll be part of the solution to some of the problems all our growth has brought us, and not part of the problem. Tutor a child in your nearest school, be a lunch buddy for a kid who needs an adult friend. Find your niche, and I'm sure it's here somewhere, and become a Charlotean - not someone from California who just moved here for the cheaper housing

Welcome home!

Old 01-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Default warm fuzzies!

Wow, thanks so much for that reply! That was more than I bargained for...now I have the warm fuzzies. You answered a lot of my questions and showed me that you truly love where you live. I should have prefaced my post by saying that I grew up in Virginia but have grown to love a lot of what LA has to offer. So I am very familiar with life in the south which is part of the reason we're choosing Charlotte. Some of our friends recently moved there from Richmond and talked us into moving there. We're looking forward to it and now, with your help, I have a better picture of what to look forward to. Thanks!

Old 01-22-2007, 02:31 PM

68 posts, read 169,071 times
LM - Very well put and insightful. Can always count on your very knowledgeable replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hey, to quote John F. Kennedy (sort of) "ask not what your city can do for you, what can you do for your city?" That's an attempt to make you smile, but also to make you think So while I answer you about what Charlotte has to offer you, I hope you will spend a minute thinking about what you have to offer Charlotte once you move here.

Charlotte is a beautiful city with a big heart. It's not as sophistocated as some cities, but we are not totally void of culture. We have several wonderful museums, art gallaries in areas like NoDa and Southend, The NC Dance Theatre, Opera Carolina (currently performing Pagliacci & La Vid Breve - and yes I had to look that up to spell it!!! Pirates of Penzance is later this spring), The Charlotte Symphony (and the beautiful Blumenthal Performing Arts Center to enjoy them all, plus much more).

There's Ovens Auditorium for smaller shows, concerts or plays. There's Theatre Charlotte - the city's amateur troupe recently performing A Chorus Line. There are at least a half a dozen funky and up and coming amateur troups, some of whom perform at the very intimate and enjoyable Spirit Square stage. And lest I forget, the incredibly popular Children's Theater, and the Discovery Place Science Museum with Omnimax theater.

There are several movie theaters which play first run alternative films you won't find at the standard multiplexes with stadium seating (which we also have all around town). The newest movie theater of this type is in Ballantyne and offers upscale food and drinks for your dining pleasure during the movie.

I could go on...but hopefully this will help you to see some of what awaits you in your new home. Speaking of which, most of us are very welcoming of newcomers since at one time or another (even if it was 20 years ago) we were newcomers ourselves. However, just remember this is the Bible Belt and we often live our faith more comfortably in our daily lives than those of you in California. There will frequently be mention of God or church in the news media, radio and even at schools. You will see us sometimes praying quietly over our meals in restaurants. You will be invited by at least one neighbor to visit their church to help you in finding a "church family". And by the way, 99% of those neighbors will never bother you about it again if you tell them "no thank you". Being a good neighbor in the south often means you will invite your neighbors to church, no insult is intended by the invitation.

We are a city of volunteers, many of whom come from our many church families. Our Habitat for Humanity is one of the most active in the nation and our annual Crop Walk to feed the hungry raised more money than another other city in the country the last two years.

We welcome you to come and join us here in making this a good place to call home. Get involved somewhere...besides the fact you'll make new friends faster, you'll be part of the solution to some of the problems all our growth has brought us, and not part of the problem. Tutor a child in your nearest school, be a lunch buddy for a kid who needs an adult friend. Find your niche, and I'm sure it's here somewhere, and become a Charlotean - not someone from California who just moved here for the cheaper housing

Welcome home!

Old 01-22-2007, 03:08 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Hey, thanks you two Glad I could help!

Old 01-22-2007, 06:26 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,343,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hey, thanks you two Glad I could help!
I gotta tell you...I started to respond to this post (vtpete) 3 different times (as I am a transplant from LA cnty)...but after the third time of writing and deleting...I figured ah to heck with it...how could I say it any better than lovesMountains already has...I couldn't...and left it at that. Good job lovesMountains!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or