U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times

Advertisements

We will be retiring soon and want to move from VA to the Lake Norman area. We are coming down in March to get a feel for the towns, but would also like some opinions from this forum.

We want to know about the different personalities of the towns (Huntersville, Morrisville, Davidson, Cornelius, Denver). Specifically, we want to avoid party zones or any place that is likely to be noisy and crime ridden. We are willing to spend 300-400K for a townhouse, but of course will be thrilled to spend much less if possible. (We hear it's expensive there.) If you want to live in a quiet community do you need to choose Denver--or is that a little too isolated.

Also, my husband wants to find friends who are college-educated techie types. He is worried about fitting into a small town that may be "red neck." I ahve no idea if this is a realistic concern or just a stupid cliche. Any opinions?

We like things like hiking, spending time in libraries & bookstores, going to toastmasters, computers. We used to live near a marina in southern california and enjoy watching boats on the lake if it's 20-30 a day, not hundreds of them all day and night. Mostly, we just want to live in NC. I used to live in Asheville, and I've always liked the Carolina way of life.(Don't know if these comments help, but just in case I thought I'd add them.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 11:50 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,872 times
I would look towards Davidson if I were you guys. While it is a college town it is very laid back. Ifyou would like a guided tour pleas let me know

Old 01-21-2007, 11:57 AM

254 posts, read 962,793 times
IMO Davidson would be a good match for you. Even though it is a college town I have seen more retired people in that community than any other (I haven't seen very many in Cornelius where I live..mostly younger families) plus there are a few townhouse places on the lake. The college is fun to poke around and they put on quite a few plays/shows/exibits. There is a locally owned bookstore in town (next to the coffee shop which isn't starbucks LOL and the bookstore isn't barnes and noble) with the library across the street. It is a quiet town even though the college is there. It isn't redneck at all but very educated/collegiate.

Here is the town website http://www.ci.davidson.nc.us/

Old 01-21-2007, 12:57 PM

68 posts, read 169,024 times
I moved from the DC/ N.VA area and I have enjoyed the change. It is a much slower pace of life in my opinion, but I find that it is truly changing and becoming a little faster paced in recent years with all of the northerns moving here.
Where in VA are you coming from and maybe I could kind of compare to some towns up there you would know. The Lake Norman area is beautiful and if you are coming from the N.VA area you will be pleased with the prices of homes and taxes. For the amount mentioned you could buy a single family home in a nice community. To live on the lake here has started to become pricey though. The Huntersville/ Cornelius areas are more lively (more "nightlife so to speak") with restaurants and shops, Birkdale which is very popular and you also have Jetton cove area nice park, shopping and restaurants. Mooresville also known as "Race City" tends to be a little quieter but is growing tremendously, new restaurants and shopping opening almost monthly it seems. Davidson is a very quaint town with that old type charm with local bookstore and coffee shop, very nice. It sounds like that might be the town, to be just up your alley of what you are looking for. Each town really has its own appeal and I would suggest when you come to try and spend a little time in each area, so that you might get a feel for the area. You really can find areas within the towns mention that would range from a more "lively urbanize feel" to "country/rural feel, cows and horses", there's a wide range. There are several nice quiet family communities in all these areas which would be in your price range. I am a Realtor in the Lake Norman area, so if I can be of any further assistance just let me know.
Good luck, I know it can be very overwhelming when moving to a new unfamiliar area.
Try this site www.lakenormanchamber.org

Old 01-21-2007, 01:16 PM

15 posts, read 74,794 times
Given your criteria, I'd chose Davidson too. It's a college town, with lots of educated folks living in the immediate area. If you crave more urban activities, they are just a short trip down the interstate. East of I-77 gets you into race country, north I-77 and west of I-77 are a little more rural. If you go far enough off the beaten path, it'll be a lot more rural. South I-77 gets you closer to Charlotte, and a distinctively more urban area/attitude.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:20 PM

166 posts, read 571,907 times
Default Huntersville Townhouses

You might want to take a look at the new townhouses in Monteith Park. They are built by Saussy Burbank and are quite nice for the money.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:45 PM

They look beautiful, but kinda far from the lake. Would you happen to know some names of condos/townhomes within 1-2 miles of the lake? We like to hike, and it would be nice to walk to the lake every day.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:21 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,872 times
Whiles there are plenty of neighborhoods 1-2 miles from the lake there are not many sidewalk etc that would make it safe to walk. If you moved into one of the Lake communities you would be able to walk down to the lake but still it would not be as nice as the local parks that are on the lake.

I have lived in the Lake Norman area for 20 years and we were wishing for sidewalks back then. They do however have the Local bus system that would be able to drop you off near the parks.

Good Luck!

Old 01-22-2007, 05:13 AM

68 posts, read 169,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
We will be retiring soon and want to move from VA to the Lake Norman area. We are coming down in March to get a feel for the towns, but would also like some opinions from this forum.

We want to know about the different personalities of the towns (Huntersville, Morrisville, Davidson, Cornelius, Denver). Specifically, we want to avoid party zones or any place that is likely to be noisy and crime ridden. We are willing to spend 300-400K for a townhouse, but of course will be thrilled to spend much less if possible. (We hear it's expensive there.) If you want to live in a quiet community do you need to choose Denver--or is that a little too isolated.

Also, my husband wants to find friends who are college-educated techie types. He is worried about fitting into a small town that may be "red neck." I ahve no idea if this is a realistic concern or just a stupid cliche. Any opinions?

We like things like hiking, spending time in libraries & bookstores, going to toastmasters, computers. We used to live near a marina in southern california and enjoy watching boats on the lake if it's 20-30 a day, not hundreds of them all day and night. Mostly, we just want to live in NC. I used to live in Asheville, and I've always liked the Carolina way of life.(Don't know if these comments help, but just in case I thought I'd add them.)
Try a community called Harbour Place in Davidson, they are building new townhomes @1800SF in the upper 300's

Old 01-22-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Harbourplace & Train Tracks

Just looked at the townhouses, they look interesting. It's hard to tell if they have water views (seems to be trees between the townhouses and the water). Would you happen to know? Also, I notice a train runs through town. Where does it go--is this part of Amtrak? Could we take the train from D.C.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or