Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 12:17 PM

285 posts, read 1,068,548 times

Advertisements

My daughter wants to take lessons in either guitar or voice. She would rather do violin, but isn't that a bit more difficult for a 7 year old?

Any reccomendations for south charlotte?

I saw a few links in a previous thread here for guitar lessons, anyone ever use ELm Lane Music school? Am going later to the arboretum music store.

But none for voice lessons, anyone?

Last edited by newcharlottan; 07-25-2008 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 03:44 PM

53 posts, read 199,479 times
i'm not exactly sure if this is close to you, but i took guitar lessons at queens university last spring. while i couldn't put in enough time to practice as i should have, i enjoyed them. it was the best price i could find and i liked it b/c you pay up front for a certain number of classes - this helped me make sure i was committed (although i still didn't keep up with it enough).

queens has a music academy that has lessons for all sorts of things, including guitar and voice. here's the link: Queens University of Charlotte - Music Academy

Old 07-25-2008, 05:38 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,895,599 times
I know that many children start violin lessons at a very young age studying by the Suzuki method. Look at the Community School of the Arts site for info on this method in Charlotte. Community School of the Arts (http://www.csarts.org/music.htm - broken link)

If you opt for guitar, I know a young man who is a great guitar teacher (no relation to me BTW). This personable young fellow is really good. Here are a couple of items from his resume.

* Master of Music and Bachelor of Music Degrees in Jazz Studies (Guitar Performance) from University of Tennessee.
* Over 8 years teaching experience, all styles/ages, beginner to intermediate.
* Teaching Curriculum includes Technique, Theory, Ear Training, College Preparatory.

You may wonder why I'm "pushing" him. It's because I've heard him play, known him since he was a teenager, seen him marry the girl across the street, watched him raise his two children, buy a house in Matthews and open a studio in Waxhaw. In other words, I've seen him strive to be a successful teacher, musician, husband and father and I'd like to see him gain a reputation as a guitar teacher in this area. Take a look at his website: sarveymusicworkshop.com

Old 07-25-2008, 06:45 PM

285 posts, read 1,068,548 times
Thanks, I will check them both out! I would like for her to take guitar but she really wants to do the violin or the viola. Oh well, the 3 year old loves to play on her kid acoustic guitar....maybe I can convince her when she is old enough! )

Old 07-28-2008, 06:35 PM

168 posts, read 479,078 times
Default Voice Lessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
My daughter wants to take lessons in either guitar or voice. She would rather do violin, but isn't that a bit more difficult for a 7 year old?

Any reccomendations for south charlotte?

I saw a few links in a previous thread here for guitar lessons, anyone ever use ELm Lane Music school? Am going later to the arboretum music store.

But none for voice lessons, anyone?
Hi,
My husband teaches voice and piano recording etc. My daughter is into the arts also. Send me a Dm if u wish

Old 09-19-2008, 06:29 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,764,151 times
If your daughter has a passion for violin I would not discourage it. In my sons old school they started violin lessons in the 1st grade. He is now 18 and is studying music education in college. My sons passion was the drums ever since he was 4 and still is.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:31 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,104,404 times
voice is costly. violin has got real class. there 1,974,123 guitar pickers in nashville and anyone one of them can pick more notes than a tennessee ant hill.
sing it.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:31 PM

168 posts, read 479,078 times
Hello!!
My husband teaches the arts voice is oneof them! DM me if u wish.
PS> What does your child prefer?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:43 PM

15 posts, read 34,245 times
Post Acoustic Guitar Lessons

I am not sure about it, but I learned playing guitar through online from totallyguitars.com. they provide an awesome lessons to learn play guitar.

Jeanguitar

Old 05-25-2010, 10:19 PM

587 posts, read 1,618,368 times
I know this post is old, but I was looking for a guitar teacher for my youngest and saw this post. Wanted to add some important information for folks thinking about starting voice training for their children. Most reputable voice teachers will not take a student under about 15 years of age or so. The voice is a fragile instrument and irreparable damage to their voice can be done by starting too early and pushing the voice too hard.

Last edited by renlouis; 05-25-2010 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: clarify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte