U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 06:29 AM

59 posts, read 116,811 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are probably moving down from NYC to NC in April of '08. I know, all you people need is more Northerners, but it's your fault for being one of the few places in the country where a person can have a really nice house in a really nice area for less than 600k. Anyway, we are interested in the Huntersville area as we can't be too far from Charlotte, we like the lake, Birkdale Village, etc.

We want our house to be very specific to our likes. My question is, how do we go about doing that? Do we buy land and put a house on it or do we work with a development that will put a house in there built to our specification? And also, what builders down there will build a house to our specifications in that area? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 06:34 AM

889 posts, read 2,846,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
My fiance and I are probably moving down from NYC to NC in April of '08. I know, all you people need is more Northerners, but it's your fault for being one of the few places in the country where a person can have a really nice house in a really nice area for less than 600k. Anyway, we are interested in the Huntersville area as we can't be too far from Charlotte, we like the lake, Birkdale Village, etc.

We want our house to be very specific to our likes. My question is, how do we go about doing that? Do we buy land and put a house on it or do we work with a development that will put a house in there built to our specification? And also, what builders down there will build a house to our specifications in that area? Thanks.
There are plenty of builders once you decide to build.Design your own or look on line for plans. You can always modify.Contractors will build what you want.
I would suggest you purchase the land sooner than later and hang on to it because all i see is prices going UP!!

Old 01-23-2007, 06:57 AM

59 posts, read 116,811 times
Great advice. Thanks.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:41 AM

146 posts, read 457,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
There are plenty of builders once you decide to build.Design your own or look on line for plans. You can always modify.Contractors will build what you want.
I would suggest you purchase the land sooner than later and hang on to it because all i see is prices going UP!!

I went to the LiveSouth home show last weekend and happened to ask about building a home to our liking in NC. They said you can go with any builder but it "needed to fit in" with the area and what I got from that was that it needed some sort of approval. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as we too, are looking to purchase land and build. Thank you.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:43 PM

889 posts, read 2,846,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampy123 View Post
I went to the LiveSouth home show last weekend and happened to ask about building a home to our liking in NC. They said you can go with any builder but it "needed to fit in" with the area and what I got from that was that it needed some sort of approval. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as we too, are looking to purchase land and build. Thank you.
Well, i am new here myself but as far as the comment "fitting" in quite possibly he/she meant that your not going to build some spaceship looking house
I am assuming with the city of interest, plans and permits would have to be approved but my goodness for the most part,there are all sorts of different style of homes around.
I am sure a real estate person on these boards can give you the proper answer to "needing to fit in".

Old 01-23-2007, 01:53 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,872 times
If the paln gets approved you will have no problems. The only problem nowadays is finding that 1-2 acre tract so you can build. Most of the developers have the land and are building communities.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:42 AM

68 posts, read 169,024 times
You would definitely have more flexibility (in style) just buying a piece of land (if you can find it) and building then going into a community. Obliviously there would be a lot more restrictions on size,style and required use of certain builders in a community setting. There are pros and cons on both sides you would just have to decide what is best for you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or