U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:06 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,755,673 times

Advertisements

carolina, us too being born and raised in brooklyn and going to hs in the 80;s we never had to worry about weapons and like some schools in NY metal detectors etc...I had to laugh about the article just because thank god there werent any weapons used but really a fight????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 11:17 PM

249 posts, read 797,423 times
Not that the point of this thread is wrong... charlotte does seem to report more than most other cities but let's not forget that its still ranked the 8th most dangerous city of 500,000+.

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm

I have never lived anywhere that had so many car/property crimes. That doesn't make this a terrible place, its just that when you see trivial news reports like this that doesnt mean that it is all that is happening.

Coming from texas, I thought stricter gun laws would mean less gun involved crimes but it seems its only harder for lawful citizens to purchase protection.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:23 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
Not that the point of this thread is wrong... charlotte does seem to report more than most other cities but let's not forget that its still ranked the 8th most dangerous city of 500,000+.

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm

I have never lived anywhere that had so many car/property crimes. That doesn't make this a terrible place, its just that when you see trivial news reports like this that doesnt mean that it is all that is happening.

Coming from texas, I thought stricter gun laws would mean less gun involved crimes but it seems its only harder for lawful citizens to purchase protection.

Harder? What's so hard? You go down to the Sheriff's office, fill out a form and if you aren't a convicted felon in about 2 weeks you have a permit. You think this is strict?

Old 01-24-2007, 08:08 AM

"Harder? What's so hard? You go down to the Sheriff's office, fill out a form and if you aren't a convicted felon in about 2 weeks you have a permit. You think this is strict?"

It most definitely is harder. From what I have been told by a local dealer is that it takes up to 3 months before you walk out with a handgun. They said the minimum was six weeks but I should expect 2-3 months. In texas, they background check you while you wait and you walk out with the gun in about 30 minutes.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
"Harder? What's so hard? You go down to the Sheriff's office, fill out a form and if you aren't a convicted felon in about 2 weeks you have a permit. You think this is strict?"

It most definitely is harder. From what I have been told by a local dealer is that it takes up to 3 months before you walk out with a handgun. They said the minimum was six weeks but I should expect 2-3 months. In texas, they background check you while you wait and you walk out with the gun in about 30 minutes.
Oh, so you want the permit to carry a concealed weapon? Well yes, that will take longer - anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months. You can walk out with a handgun the day you buy it if you have already gone to the Sheriff's office and just gotten the permit - which is what takes about 2 weeks. In other words, if you just want the gun for home protection and never intend to leave you house with it, you can have one within 2 weeks of the day you fill out the form for the sheriff to run a backgound check. You just bring the form they will send you once they check you out to whatever shop you are dealing with and you can walk out with a gun.

My feeling is that having to wait two weeks is probably a very good thing - if a person were in a rage and wanted to use it to purposely hurt someone hopefully within those two weeks he would have calmed down and thought better of the idea In no way would I suport the idea of anyone walking out with a gun in just 30 minutes.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My feeling is that having to wait two weeks is probably a very good thing - if a person were in a rage and wanted to use it to purposely hurt someone hopefully within those two weeks he would have calmed down and thought better of the idea In no way would I suport the idea of anyone walking out with a gun in just 30 minutes.
I agree and disagree at the same time. Yes you definitely want to come a vengeful person down... no doubt about it. But the flip side of that is what happens if someone tries to break into your home and you want to go out and get some protection asap? The biggest problem here, and everywhere for that matter, is that criminals are getting guns off the streets and there are no gun buying laws to protect us from that. All this is why you can reasonably debate this issue from either side.

That said, I agree that states like texas make it way too easy. Especially since you can walk out of a pawn shop with a gun... nothing like saying "hey you need a gun, you need it now, you want it cheap and hard to trace? We've got just what you need". I just thought that stricter gun laws would mean less guns hence less gun related crime... which hasn't really translated here from what I have seen.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I agree and disagree at the same time. Yes you definitely want to come a vengeful person down... no doubt about it. But the flip side of that is what happens if someone tries to break into your home and you want to go out and get some protection asap? The biggest problem here, and everywhere for that matter, is that criminals are getting guns off the streets and there are no gun buying laws to protect us from that. All this is why you can reasonably debate this issue from either side.

That said, I agree that states like texas make it way too easy. Especially since you can walk out of a pawn shop with a gun... nothing like saying "hey you need a gun, you need it now, you want it cheap and hard to trace? We've got just what you need". I just thought that stricter gun laws would mean less guns hence less gun related crime... which hasn't really translated here from what I have seen.

It hasn't translated to that in any American city I'm afraid. That's because we have a thriving black market for guns and criminals will always be able to get their hands on one. Stricter gun laws only encumber the lawful citizen, not the criminal. At least in Charlotte you can no longer buy them in our pawn shops like they can in Texas! Our pawn shops are strictly monitored here in Charlotte, not just for guns, but for possible stolen property. Our police department is very proactive about this. Pawn shop owners have to submit to police the names and license number of anyone making any purchase in their shops.

By the way, welcome to Charlotte

Old 01-24-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It hasn't translated to that in any American city I'm afraid. That's because we have a thriving black market for guns and criminals will always be able to get their hands on one. Stricter gun laws only encumber the lawful citizen, not the criminal. At least in Charlotte you can no longer buy them in our pawn shops like they can in Texas!
Completely agree. Pawn shops in texas always drove me nuts because of this and drove the surrounding areas down. Just wish the govt would do more to stop the black market... they seem so focused on disarming the average citizen. IMO that would be bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or